Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

6/24 - 6/27/08: Miami Four Seasons ($225nt) vs Mandarin Oriental ($245nt)? Anyone been to both recently?

6/24 - 6/27/08: Miami Four Seasons ($225nt) vs Mandarin Oriental ($245nt)? Anyone been to both recently?

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, we're finally traveling again. We just bought a house and didn't think we'd ever travel again, but... you gotta travel, right? We're taking our 14 year (my stepdaughter) to the Naples Beach Ritz for 3 nights at their cheapest room ($219 nt - no view) on June 21-24. We went with the no-view room because it's the last one they had and we're on a budget this year. We stayed there last year with her and she loved it. We paid $279 nt last year for the room with a coastal view, valet parking and breakfast for 2 but this year it's $299 nt. We thought we'd eat fruit and cereal in the room, save a ton of fat grams, not overeat like we did last year, and save some money.

Then we go to Miami for 3 nights. We stayed at the Ritz South Beach last year for $319 nt including parking and breakfast for 2 but this year it's ALOT more expensive. We can't stay there this year, plus, South Beach was pretty dirty and filled with lots of homeless people. Our daughter liked the action, but was a bit turned off by the filth and the homeless folk. It wasn't that bad, but we're just looking for a change of pace. She LOVES the beach but most of the killer beach hotels are over $300 a night. The Royal Palm next to the Loews is only $220 a nt, and we've stayed there years ago, but it's been getting bad write ups on Trip Advisor. Plus, we've been there at least 3 times and wanted something different.

I checked prices for Palm Beach, as we've never stayed there, just visited the FS once for lunch. They are $325 a nt, too much for us. Same with the Ritz Palm Beach, over $325 nt... in June! Then I checked out the Four Seasons Miami,
http://www.fourseasons.com/miami/
the tallest building in Miami, and it's only $225 a nt. We went for dinner there before and were blown away by it's beauty and great service. I booked it.

Just for the heck of it, I checked out the Mandarin Oriental website
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/526000003.asp
and they are only $249 a night those days. We were there too once to check it out and loved it as well. I called my friend that works for the FS and she said that she loved the Mandarin when she's in Asia but doesn't "get that whole Asian thing" while here in Miami and didn't like it near as much as the FS Miami.

Anyone been to both? Our daughter likes the pool too, so not being at the beach the 3 nights in Miami should be fine for her... I hope. The pool is supposed to be great there. We'll be sure to post a "Just Back" report after we return.

Steve "R"
Silver Spring MD
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM

Have not stayed at the Four Seasons but have at the Mandaarin Oriental several times (we do meetings there). Have always found it top notch in every way - rooms, service, food - and special requests (some of our speakers are real prima donas).

The only potential issue is the baths/tubs open to the room - great for a couple - and you can pull down the shades in front of the tubs - but it's not much privacy except for a couple.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM

stever, glad to see you're coming back to Naples. Your comment about the "no view" room at the Ritz has me really curious. I was somewhat involved when the Ritz was built and one of their greatest "prides" was that every room had a view. There are no rooms on the "back side", only hallways, and all rooms faced the Gulf. So I'm trying to figure out what they mean by "no view", unless it's a low floor that mainly looks into the trees and preserve rather than over them to the actual Gulf.

The only comment I can make regarding the Mandarin Oriental and the Four Seasons is that I do know people who have felt that the Mandarin Oriental was much more businessman oriented than leisure travel, and was absolutely dead on weekends. I know people who were caught up there being practically the only guests not part of some convention.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot nytraveler. I had to wonder about that myself, the open bathroom situation. Our 14 y.o. is VERY privacy oriented (as most stepdaughters would of course be!) when it comes to dressing and undressing and being in the bathroom and the shower/tub, so the Mandarin Oriental may be problematic in that respect. Maybe we could just go there for dinner one night or breakfast to at least experience the "scene" with her a bit.

Neopatrick: Well, the no view room is simply there to describe the low floor room they have above the restaurant that doesn't have a coastal view but overlooks the front of the hotel and the surrounding neighborhood. Quite frankly, after the killer balcony view we had last year, a "lack of view room" will be just fine for us. Of course we'll "beg" them quietly when we get there for the ubiquitous upgrade to a little nicer view, but if we have to take that cheap view room, so be it in the interest of a lower AMEX bill when we return!

Thanks both of you for responding so far. Our daughter is excited to go back to Naples especially as that's where the great beach was for her. She could spend all day out there swimming and playing in the sand, just like a 5 year old.

Steve "R"
Silver Spring MD
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

We're very close to making a decision on this... I checked out a bunch of Four Seasons Miami Trip Advisor reviews and some say they preferred the Mandarin, that the FS didn't have any balconies in the rooms and the view from the Mandarin were nicer being on that little island. Anyone else live or travel to Miami want to comment on their experience with either of these 2 hotels?

Thx,
Steve
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM

We stayed at the Mandarin last year, and while I loved it, I don't think I'd stay there with a 14-year-old because of the open bathroom. We had our 1-year-old with us, so it wasn't a problem.

It's a fantastic hotel with excellent service. Even the crib they provided for us was beautiful.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:47 AM
GoTravel

stever, the Four Seasons is downtown Miami and not really a leisure area.

I would pick the Mandarin Oriental because it is more of a resort. Love the hotel.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional responses. We've pretty much settled on staying at the FS due to the bathroom situation at the Mandarin and ... the FS is $25 less a night , more money to spend on lunch or dinner.

Since they're supposed to have one of the nicest pools in Miami, I think my nieces will love it when they come to visit me there. They actually prefer the pool over the ocean and it's supposed to be a big pool.

We COULD stay at the Doral instead for about $170 or so a night. Much less money, but I really don't like the location. We stayed there once and the room was very noisy due to connecting room doors where the neighbors talking could be heard like they were in OUR room! Loved the Doral though... the room was sumptuous. And... the pools are really the best for kids there, but... we already did that, and wanted to try something different.

Steve R
Gaithersburg MD