Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   50th Wedding Anniversary Get-Away (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/50th-wedding-anniversary-get-away-921281/)

ustwo Jan 25th, 2012 11:53 AM

50th Wedding Anniversary Get-Away

Looking for 50th anniversary travel suggestions, ideas, thoughts for family of 11 ages range from 11 to 73, Lots of ideas run through head such as Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, etc., etc., other words "where to go" is "wide open" right now.

Can't give exact dates yet because of work schedules, March or August 2013 may be our choices. Length of stay 1-2 weeks. All members are healthy, fair to very active. Fair I mean capably of walking an hour or 2 (maybe not extreme mountian climbing)! Want to make sure there are activites for children agea 11-15, as well as things for adults to enjoy. Budget would be between $1000.00 -$3,000.00 a week, excluding airfare. Does that sound reasonable? Looked at Homeaway #218716 in Dominican Repbulic, sounds relaxing. Anyone been in that area?

One last question, anyone have a good idea for Anniversary Couple for spending a week on their own where they could fly in, wouldn't have to rent car, & would be able to walk to nearby town or village. Safety big issue.

Have looked at some Fodor's posts, if someone has a trip report or post you think I should read, let me know. Thanks

Placename Jan 25th, 2012 12:17 PM

What does the $1000-$3000 a week cover, and for how many people?

Just off the top of my head- you aren't getting anywhere in Europe for that price.

qwovadis Jan 25th, 2012 12:19 PM

Nov 15, 2011 · From the moment you enter Casa Fantastica you walk into tropical luxury. Boasting one of the best and secluded views in Manuel Antonio it is a rare …
www.vrbo.com/222511
Super nice for adventure beach cheap flights down
spirit.com jetblue.com aa.com go a lot
tripadvisor.com/members/natureguide best area guide
March 2013 best too much rain in Aug
stayhawaii.com konweb.com for least rain in Aug

Happy Planning and congrats!

qwovadis Jan 25th, 2012 12:25 PM

Winner of TripAdvisor's "2011 Top Vacation Rental, CasaTolteca is a completely private luxury estate nestled within an enchanted tropical forest.

www.visitmyvilla.com/CasaTolteca.html

Here is another good one for you.

ustwo Jan 25th, 2012 02:40 PM

Thank you quovadis, will ck out the sights in a few days, leaving now for a short trip.

Placename, sorry I should have been more clear. That amount was for the rental. I did say it excluded air fare & I think I mentioned 11 people. Also excludes food, etc. just looking for rental in that price area. The homeaway site I mentioned was around seventeen and would have enough sleeping accomadations. Just wondering about that area, if anyone had been there.

Thanks

ustwo Jan 25th, 2012 03:05 PM

Sorry qwovadis, I do know how to spell, maybe should improve my typing or reading!! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Placename Jan 25th, 2012 03:17 PM

How many rooms for these 11 people?

That's about $125 t0 $375 a night. That would eliminate many large home rentals in places like Hawaii, Mexico, and Europe.

ustwo Jan 28th, 2012 11:56 AM

Placename, What dollar amount do you feel we should budget per night. Are you saying it would be hard to find something for $375 a night? Appreciate your thoughts.

ElendilPickle Jan 28th, 2012 12:28 PM

One of my friend's parents took their kids on a Hawaiian cruise for their 50th. The age ranges were about what you have, and my friend said they all really enjoyed the trip. Maybe an Alaska cruise would fit the bill?

Lee Ann

martym Jan 28th, 2012 02:24 PM

I did a quick check of rentals in Hawaii and while it is difficult to find a rental house there within your budget it is not impossible. Check this one out http://www.vrbo.com/73290

Tomsd Jan 28th, 2012 05:10 PM

I think you have to not only look at your daily/weekly lodging budget - but also your airfare - and meals - as it varies depending on where you go.

We love Hawaii - but depending on where you are coming from - Costa Rica might be easier - and it's probably as reasonable as any place you could go - with lots of things to do.

ustwo Jan 29th, 2012 09:29 AM

Thanks everyone for suggestions, information. Have factored in airfare, meals,car rental, etc. That's why I was hoping to keep lodging $3000.00 or below. May have to consider $4000.00 for lodging.

rizzo0904 Jan 29th, 2012 10:43 AM

where are you from?

ustwo Jan 29th, 2012 08:40 PM

rizzo - why?

ustwo Jan 29th, 2012 08:45 PM

rizzo - Sorry, something went wrong I didn't preview before posting. should have read rizzo -why?, USA - open to all suggestions in USA or any other country.

Tomsd Feb 15th, 2012 05:07 AM

I think the question as to where are you from makes it easier to give recommendations - as to the expense and duration of the flights. If you are East Coast - some might recommend the Carribean, or maybe Costa Rica.

Toward the West Coast - it is easier to get to Hawaii.

That's all.

ustwo Feb 15th, 2012 09:01 PM

Have been to busy to check Fodor's since end of Jan. Thank you to all who have been busy giving suggestions. Will check out each suggestion. Really appreciate the time you have taken to do so.

Tomsd - I do understand your point. I tried to make it clear that airfare, train travel, taxi, food, etc., etc., was not a factor in my question. I think we will have to consider going above the $3000.00 figure for lodging. I do appreciate that people want to be so helpful with every part of trip.
thought maybe someone had stayed or knew someone who had stayed at a great place that was large enough for 6 adults & 5 young people. Didn't really matter if it was a beach area,historical area, etc. Whole family enjoy all travel adventures.