Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   50th birthday on Halloween! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/50th-birthday-on-halloween-642317/)

laurelee Aug 27th, 2006 02:54 PM

50th birthday on Halloween!

I turn 50 this Halloween and am looking for a 4-5 day trip in the US. I'd like to hike, bike, eat great food and have a great place to stay. It will be my husband and I traveling,a place under $350/night or so..and enchanting...any suggestions? I'm considerng Santa Fe strongly, but have never been there.

earl30 Aug 27th, 2006 06:40 PM

you've answered your own question with the perfect answer.

laurelee Aug 27th, 2006 06:50 PM

I think Santa Fe fits my description--but I'd like to know more about it from someone who knows. What will the weather be like the end of October?
Will we be able to hike? Where should we stay? Any suggestions?

tuscanlifeedit Aug 27th, 2006 08:13 PM

You will certainly be able to hike in Santa Fe in October.

I didn't have the budget you do, when we were there, but I recommend finding a place with an in room fireplace.

We drove and hiked in every directions. Have you a guide book to the area? You can get one at the library if you aren't sure yet that SF is your destination.

DebitNM Aug 28th, 2006 05:41 AM

I strongly support your choice of Santa Fe/NM -- autumn may be the best season here.

For REALLY good info on Santa Fe...click on the DESTINATIONS link at the top of the page and then on Santa Fe. There is a wealth of info there. Then type in Santa Fe in the search box or click on New Mexico at the top of this page and find other similar postings and replies.

The weather should be sunny and mild during the days...perfect for hiking. It will be chilly at night as temps drop 20- 30 degrees at night.

Will you be flying in? If so, you will fly into Albuquerque and then need to rent a car to get to Santa Fe.

Do you want to stay in Santa Fe the whole time? Consider a day and night in Taos, 2 days & nights in Santa Fe and 2 days in ABQ. I personally think spending the entire time in SF is a bit too much...there are so many other great places to visit.

Once you have your dates and cities selected, get hotels and then we can find you a special restaurant for your birthday!!

A great place to stay that is in between SF and ABQ is Hyatt Tamaya -- it is really nice, great rates at that time of year {usually can find online specials at their website}.

Drive either to or from Santa Fe via the Turquoise Trail...way more scenic than using interstate.

http://www.turquoisetrail.org/

Hope this helps...
Debi

DebitNM Aug 28th, 2006 05:41 PM

Here's the missing post!! I replied earlier than I'd remembered. I guess that happens when you post alot!

Debi

garyt22 Aug 28th, 2006 05:51 PM

Happy 50th.... we not only share the same birthday, but the EXACT same date! I was 10:24am...who's older?

PS... I prefer Sedona...

laurelee Aug 29th, 2006 06:50 PM

Not sure what time I was born! Gotta check on that one.
Okay--why Sedona? I have been there, but not Santa Fe.
Also, in Santa Fe....where would be a great place to stay--I'm thinking about Inn on the Alameda??
In Sedona...what would the hiking be like?
Thanks, all!!

DebitNM Aug 29th, 2006 07:20 PM

Inn on alameda has good reviews on tripadvisor.com. I would look over there at their top picks and the comments made by folks who've stayed.

Having lived in ABQ, I never stayed in Santa Fe...so I don't have first hand experience to offer.

Maybe do a search here...type in santa fe hotels and see what comes up.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Suzie Aug 29th, 2006 09:04 PM

Now that's scary - 50 on Halloween!!

HB! ;)

laurelee Sep 5th, 2006 01:20 PM

I'm trying to decide between Inn on the Alameda and a few others--Anaszi and Five Graces.
Also, what should I pick for my 50th birthday dinner--romantic and great food are high on the list-we like all types.
Another question: we love hiking, what hikes are the best? Thanks.

DebitNM Sep 5th, 2006 02:07 PM

IF you have decided on going to Santa Fe, I strongly suggest your start a new thread with your questions. Be sure to put Santa Fe in message title along with what you are looking for. Be exact, it will get you more answers.

I didn't ever stay in SF since I lived so close so I can't really answer hotel Q's.

I would make the following suggestions...
click on DESTINATIONS link at top of page and check out Fodor's guide. They do a nice write up on Santa Fe. Check the hotels and restaurants on there as well as tripadvisor.com.

Also, do a search on this page by typing in Santa Fe and seeing recent posts. You can also use the drop down menu and click on New Mexico. And you can search more specifics by typing in Santa Fe hotels or Santa Fe restaurants.

Hope this helps...
Debi

suze Sep 5th, 2006 04:03 PM

As Debi beat me to suggesting... I think a thread with Santa Fe in the title will get you more & better replies.

sistahlou Sep 5th, 2006 04:42 PM

Salem, MA is a hoot and the surrounding area is fantastic.

annieladd Sep 6th, 2006 02:47 PM

Inn of the Anasazi will be closer to the plaza, which would be my preference. You might look at La Fonda as well. But Inn on the Alameda is quite lovely as well, just a few blocks away. Enjoy annieladd