Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   50th birthday in Utah - Anyone want to help me with itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/50th-birthday-in-utah-anyone-want-to-help-me-with-itinerary-902684/)

awayfromitall Aug 14th, 2011 02:23 PM

50th birthday in Utah - Anyone want to help me with itinerary?

So deciding if I should do Utah for my 50th birthday or not which is in about 2 months at the end of October...but time is running out and I've still done almost zero research so I'm hoping someone who really knows the area could suggest a 5-7 day itinerary (fly into xxx, drive to yyy, hike zzz, etc.) I'd like to be doing something strenuous on my 50th. I'm in good physical condition but not ready to hike Everest so something moderately strenuous...and neat to see. Wouldn't mind staying somewhere posh for a couple of nights also just to balance.

JBX Aug 14th, 2011 03:32 PM

Never been to Utah, and know little about area ..... BUT have had an interest in the Red Mountain resort ..... actually was just looking at their website, when I flipped back to Fodors and saw your thread. I think a 5 - 7 trip would work out well ..... also from reviewing comments on Trip Advisor, the resort spa is an hour's drive from Zion Nat'l Park.

To get to Red Mountain, most fly into Las Vegas and then drive to property.

JBX Aug 14th, 2011 03:32 PM

http://www.redmountainresort.com

tomfuller Aug 14th, 2011 05:46 PM

Any or several of the Southern Utah National Parks would be good for a few hikes. The hikes I took with my DW in Arches included Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch. I sure would not go to one resort and stay.
Many of the travelers here on Fodors no longer trust TA reviews.
If you go, be sure to travel Route 12 and then see Goblin Valley for a walk among the hoodoos.

emalloy Aug 14th, 2011 07:06 PM

We've done southern Utah by flying into Vegas and also Denver and Albuquerque. Salt Lake City would be a good option also and Grand Junction is a possibility too. Our choices were based on direct flights from home and cost.

It turns out that car rental is usually quite less expensive in Vegas than Denver so if cost matters, check that before you book air.

Do you want to go to one park and hike or visit more than one. Zion and Bryce are easy from Vegas, Arches and Canyonlands are a bit farther. We've found the scenery awesome and so don't mind the driving. All have great hiking opportunities.

If you hit Utah in the view by state box above you will find lots of threads on these places.

Have a fantastic trip.

utahtea Aug 14th, 2011 11:34 PM

Since you are coming at the end of October, I don't know if I'd trust the weather enough to flying into Denver and drive over the pass.

If you decide to do Moab, Utah you have Arches and Canyonlands National Parks and resounding areas. Lots of wonderful hikes like to Delicate Arch and Dark Angel to name a few. More if you include the Needles District of Canyonlands. I'd fly into either Grand Junction, CO or Salt Lake City.

If you decide to do Zion and Bryce National Parks, I'd fly into Las Vegas.

Someone mentioned Red Mountain Resort. I've never been but it's located in St. George and not really ideal for seeing Zion and worse for seeing Bryce. You'd be better off either staying in Zion or Springdale, Utah.

Utahtea

Stinkerbell Aug 15th, 2011 01:29 AM

I agree with Utahtea...fly to Vegas... rent a car and go to Springdale and stay...beautiful town. We stayed in a wonderful Bed and Breakfast...Hiked Angels Landing and other hikes...stayed there a couple of days. Drove to Bryce..unbelievable drive!!!! Then up to Torrey Wow,,,,If you want...let me know I will send me your email address and I can send you all the info on the lodging and itinerary and restaurants along the way!

awayfromitall Aug 15th, 2011 09:38 AM

Stinkerbell, did you make it to the top of Angels' Landing?

luvtravl Aug 21st, 2011 04:53 PM

Another vote for Zion/Bryce!