Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   50th birthday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/50th-birthday-1095365/)

mataafa06 Apr 16th, 2016 03:44 PM

50th birthday

I am turning 50 in June the Saturday before Fathers Day. Since we go to church on Saturday, we celebrate Fathers Day as a church that day. Then on Sunday, we celebrate again as a family. Not really sure what I should do. Turning 50 is a big deal to me.

nytraveler Apr 16th, 2016 04:06 PM

I'm not clear what you want to know.

Are you asking if you should move the birthday celebration because of father's day?

Or what you should do to celebrate? (And if this is it we need to know a lot more about you to make useful recos. Family members? Hobbeys, interests, budget?????)

longhorn55 Apr 16th, 2016 04:08 PM

I'm not sure what kind of answer you are looking for. We don't know your location, your interests or your budget.

My sister took me to Vegas for my 50th birthday and it was great!

DebitNM Apr 16th, 2016 04:39 PM

What should you do FOR your birthday??

OR

What should you do ABOUT your birthday??

J62 Apr 16th, 2016 04:50 PM

I'm guessing here...could be 100% wrong.

mataafa06 is a woman, turning 50 and it's a big deal to her. She wants a celebration, but does not want to conflict with the two father's day celebrations. One with the church on Saturday, and the other with family on Sunday.

In my opinion it should be the family and friends who put together a party for you - not your burden. And you should not feel bad about wanting a party - it's your big day too. If it means that the family needs to have less focus on one of the two annual fathers day celebrations and have your big 5-0 (once in a lifetime) as the focus for that weekend, then so be it.

I would talk to your husband and work this out as a family. I can't believe your husband would want two full days devoted to him, and not give the spotlight to you for the weekend.

In my church's eyes, the best gift a father can give his children is to love their mother - and I can't think of any better way to show this than put her on a pedestal for the big day.

mataafa06 Apr 16th, 2016 09:44 PM

Sorry, this is my first time posting in a public forum asking for advice, and of course, I didn't come out clear! My husband wants to do it on Father's Day. I don't think it's right to celebrate a day pertaining to him with my 50th birthday. should i do something Saturday night after celebrating Fathers Day at church or move it to a different day?

nytraveler Apr 17th, 2016 04:23 AM

There is no way I would move my birthday to another day. If all the people you want will be available on the Saturday night then I would do some sort of festivity then.

But are there any little kids/parents for whom this would be a problem? Are you talking about just a nice dinner out or an actual party or?

I'm not a party person (I mean parties for me) so it's sort of hard for me to relate. And never heard of this 2 father's day thing. (For my 50th my SO took me to Paris for a week while his kids were at his mother's- perfect!)

longhorn55 Apr 17th, 2016 05:03 AM

I'm not the kind of person who gets hung up on what day my birthday or a holiday is celebrated. (For example, we celebrated Christmas on Dec. 30th last year because that's when my daughter could fly in to join us.)

So, if it were me, I would choose the date to celebrate my 50th birthday when I would have the most time to spend with my family and friends. If that date is Father's Day Sunday, then let your family and friends celebrate YOU that day. Your husband has said he is happy to celebrate your birthday on that day, so let him do so if that is what you'd like. You only have a 50th birthday once; Father's Day comes around every year.

HotWheels Apr 17th, 2016 09:04 AM

How about compromising by sharing your special day - have a special breakfast/brunch for your husband's Father's Day recognition in the morning, and then devote the afternoon and evening entirely to your birthday celebration.

HotWheels Apr 17th, 2016 09:04 AM

How about compromising by sharing your special day - have a special breakfast/brunch for your husband's Father's Day recognition in the morning, and then devote the afternoon and evening entirely to your birthday celebration.

ElendilPickle Apr 18th, 2016 01:18 PM

Would you consider planning something like a shortish 50th birthday celebration trip for another date? My birthday is in July, but Mr. Pickle, our then-teenage son, and I did a road trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks for my 50th, and if I remember correctly, we just had a nice dinner and cake on the actual day.

Lee Ann

dbdurand Apr 18th, 2016 02:55 PM

This thread is not about travel. At the risk of being a stickler, let me quote the no. 3 guideline for posting.

"Talk travel
To provide maximum benefit for travelers, we ask that you stick to the topic of travel when posting in all our forums. You can post your opinions and experiences as a traveler on the forums, but you should not include extraneous or irrelevant information. Threads containing off topic conversations will be closed or removed."