Search

50th Anniversary Oregon Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50th Anniversary Oregon Trip

Hi all-
So if I had unlimited funds, I would fly my parents first class to Tahiti for their 50th anniversary. But alas--reality strikes. So I thought about sending them to Oregon for a few days -specifically staying at the Heceta Bed and Breakfast. Having never been to Oregon, I have a couple of questions:

1. Would the driving be easy from Eugene to the B & B? How would the driving be to Florence or other coastal towns? My parents are in great health and don't have an issue with driving, but I don't want it to be stressful for them either. Ideally, I would love to hire a local tour guide if anyone has any recommendations.
2. Would the weather be OK in September or October? Too rainy in April or May?
3. Is there something better in Oregon for them to celebrate their 50th? Better location? Better resort? (They like history and nature, but not into alot of walking, hiking or boating--and they don't drink wine.)

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the area around the B&B is beautiful but i think if you are thinking of this Sept/Oct that might be problematic. weather would probably be better though. also, that area doesn't have much in the way of close in, non-beach activities. if they can take a little rain, i think the Cannon Beach area in April/May fits a little better depending on where you can find for them to stay. many lovely hotels in the area. great beach. and some shops, galleries, and local events. they could walk a little around, relax at the resort, eat nice meals out, and experience a beautiful Pacific Ocean coastal area.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 04:39 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well Oregon is a big state and there are many places where they could have a terrific time, pretty much any time of the year.

However if they enjoy nature and history, you might have a look at Ashland in the extreme south of the state. The annual Shakespeare festival is very popular, and if they like the performing arts it's a real mecca. It's very popular, but often things quiet down after Labor Day, so that might be worth having a look. https://www.osfashland.org/ The historic town of Jacksonville is very close to Ashland; both are easily accessed from the airport in Medford.

If they were interested in including some coastline in the trip (how many days would they have?) then the southern Oregon coast, in my view the most scenic part, is within a morning's drive via US 199 from Grants Pass. In getting to the coast they'd pass through the Jedediah Smith redwoods in northernmost California, one of the crown jewels of the redwood forest. Two or three nights in Ashland and a couple on the coast might be a good trip. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/emXLLQgJqwo

Here's what the coast looks like between Gold Beach and Brookings on the south coast -

Old Jul 21st, 2018, 08:36 AM

If your parents live in Eugene, the keeper's house looks like a very nice place to stay. I have read about it in the past, but have not been. They would probably need to drive to Florence or Yachats for dinner?

If your parents don't live in Oregon, you will pay more to fly them to Eugene over Portland. Would you like a more North Coast idea to save some money?

Would you like them to be kind of "away from everywhere" similar to this property?
=
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! So my parents live in Arizona, so it would be an easy non-stop flight from Phoenix to Eugene on Allegiant. Their 50th anniversary isn't until 2019, so I was thinking of late May 2019 or September 2019. Allegiant only flies Sundays and Thursdays to Eugene and that B&B is booked on weekends, so I was thinking of flying them in on Sunday evening, staying in Eugene overnight and then 3 nights at the BB. Booking them a rental car, but then hiring a private guide for a one day tour of Florence and Yachats. And yes going to dinner in one of these 2 cities. I guess I focused on this B&B because I wanted something unique since they are seasoned travelers and have been all over the world. I am open to other unique stays and experiences, just don't want driving to be stressful and for there to be things to do without alot of walking.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Cannon Beach is another option I am considering--specifically the Stephanie Inn. Easy flight from Phoenix to Portland. How much rain does this area get towards the end of May?
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 01:43 PM

Belgirl, the Stephanie is considered an excellent place to stay. I don't think you will be sorry with it. Options for dinner would be better than your first idea. The drive from Portland to Cannon Beach is very straightforward.

End of May should be good. Early September (after Labor Day) also would be good though.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>so it would be an easy non-stop flight from Phoenix to Eugene on Allegiant.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I have flown Allegiant once and didn’t have any issues. The airport they fly out of is literally 5 minutes away. But I hate their flight schedule. Very problematic.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 05:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Yeah, I have flown Allegiant once and didn’t have any issues.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 05:32 AM

belgirlaz-if your parents can stand a little rain and you can get the Stephanie, I would jump on that. perfect plan. average monthly rain in May is 5 inches which around here is nothing. Alaska Airlines has numerous non stops from Phoenix to Portland. and the drive is simple. local tour guides like you have suggested may be a tough do in this area. just not a thing. and if you find, probably not worth the money. for Oregon Coast, just get them a simple guidebook of some kind and let them decide if and where they want to visit. you won't regret it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:10 PM

Would agree with melproffit on Alaska. It is one of the friendliest airlines out there. They fly a lot of routes in the Western United States so if your flight doesn't work out, they can easily reroute you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 10:25 AM

I have stayed at the Heceta Head B&B and loved the experience. It is also located on a hill above my favorite beach. I was with a large group and we rented the whole place. There is not much to do in the evening though. Read, relax. We took flashlights and walked up to the lighthouse in the dark.
September can be beautiful at the coast- but not always. My daughter got married at the coast last Sept and it rained but the day before wedding and day after were fine.
I don't really think you need guides for Florence, Yachts- they are pretty small and with a little research, you can see what there is to see.
There is a publication " The Oregon Coast Mile by Mile" which shows you lodging, dining, activities etc. They also have a website.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 11:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by belgirlaz
I guess I focused on this B&B because I wanted something unique since they are seasoned travelers and have been all over the world. I am open to other unique stays and experiences, just don't want driving to be stressful and for there to be things to do without alot of walking.
It would be helpful if the OP could give us an update on her thinking, but this line intrigued me and makes me wonder if some alternative to the Oregon coast might not be worth investigating. There are lots of scenic places throughout the Pacific Northwest and in BC and California that might offer equal if not better accommodations, access to scenic and/or historic sites (since that seems to be a priority) and which are equally if not more accessible than Florence or Cannon Beach or their areas.

In the Puget Sound area, Whidbey Island and the San Juans offer terrific opportunities for 3 to 5 days outings; The Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood areas are VERY convenient to Portland airport, and offer everything from excursions to Mount Hood to waterfalls and vista points in the Gorge, the fun Maryhill Museum and Stonehenge replica, orchards and fruit stands in the Hood River Valley, and so on. Or a short drive from Vancouver airport could have them on the scenic ferry to Vancouver Island and Victoria, where any number of unique accommodations and scenic areas await. (Or they could fly directly to Victoria with an easy plane change in Seattle.)

Just saying, there are plenty of options.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

So my parents have already been to Vancouver, Washington and California, but not Oregon and my Mom has expressed that she would love to visit. That's why I settled on Oregon for this trip. 5 inches of rain would be considered here a flood in Arizona, but yes, they can handle a little bit of rain. Just don't want there to be so much rain that it's a Debbie Downer.

I really appreciate everyone's recommendations and comments. Sunbum1944: what did you do for dinner at night? I know that the Haceta has food in the kitchen for dinner, but was it a pain to have to drive to Florence or Yachts for dinner? That's my one main concern which is why I may go with the Stephanie Inn instead since they have dining onsite and it would be easy for me to pay for that as well.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 12:12 PM

We spent two nights at Heceta Head- first night we ate in Florence I think. The second night we bought fresh crab in town, salad fixings and bread- and of course wine- and prepared our own meal in their kitchen. It was a lot of fun.

you might consider Newport.- a bit farther north. We stayed at the Elizabeth St Inn- on the ocean, each room has a fireplace. In the evening they serve a delicious chowder in the lobby and around 7 they serve cookies. Easy walk to many restaurants and a short drive to even more. Its where we stay when we go to the coast.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 01:23 PM

Another vote for Elizabeth Street Inn. That is our usual place we stay when in Newport.

If you go with Stephanie Inn, Cannon Beach itself is a beautiful little town with much to offer. Lots of great shops/galleries, restaurants, wine shops, you name it plus the great natural features such as Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. While the inn is not really walking distance to downtown (no sidewalks along that stretch), it is just a 5 minute drive away. If you want another idea for something there that is walkable, check out either Surfsand Resort (we have been going there for decades) or Cannon Beach Hotel. CBH is right next to the Surfsand, but only a couple of their rooms have ocean views. I have stayed there as well. It is very nice, more of a boutique style place. The Surfsand is oceanfront and truly a great place to stay. Both are an easy walk to the heart of downtown along nice sidewalks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 04:27 PM

belgirlaz-to be clear, 5 inches of rain is the average for the entire MONTH of May. spread over 30 days that is very little for the area you are looking for the folks to visit.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by melproffit
belgirlaz-to be clear, 5 inches of rain is the average for the entire MONTH of May. spread over 30 days that is very little for the area you are looking for the folks to visit.
Got it--thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

You all have truly been helpful--thank you so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -