Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   506 East Capitol Street (between 5th & 6th street) Washington,DC Safe Area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/506-east-capitol-street-between-5th-and-6th-street-washington-dc-safe-area-201385/)

Debbie Apr 17th, 2002 10:07 AM

506 East Capitol Street (between 5th & 6th street) Washington,DC Safe Area?

Hi,I found (what look's like) the greatest place called the Doolittle Guest House.And,yes,it's located at<BR>506 East Capitol Street between 5th<BR>and 6th Streets,Washington,DC.Is this a safe location? How about at night? Has anybody heard of or stayed here?<BR>Thanks for any feedback.Debbie

Essvie Apr 17th, 2002 02:51 PM

I have never stayed there, so I hope someone else chimes in who has (it looks lovely on the website though! I never even knew it existed). <BR><BR>It's in more of a residential neighborhood, so the area tends to be very quiet at night. And the closest metro is a still a bit of a walk, at least 6 blocks, so if it's dark you may want to take a cab back. I have walked in the area at night and it's fine, there just aren't always that many people around. <BR><BR>BUT that said, this part of the Hill is quite safe, and since it's close to the Capitol office buildings and the Supreme Court, etc. the capitol police are always in the area. Still, use your common sense as in any city.<BR><BR>Since I've always lived in noisier parts of the city, with people on the streets at late hours, I personally have always found it a bit eerily quiet on the Hill. Not that I've *ever* had a problem there, I just find it interesting how different the neighborhoods in Washington can be. <BR><BR>Have fun!

Debbie Apr 17th, 2002 04:51 PM

Essvie,Thanks for the info.It does look like a nice place to stay doesn't it?!!! Maybe on my next trip<BR>to Washington,DC I'll book it and let you know how it goes.

crys Apr 18th, 2002 08:20 PM

If you want to actually find the place, it will be important to know what sector it is in. DC is divided into NE, NW, SE and SW. That address could be NE or SE. Either way, it's a fairly safe Capitol Hill residential area, but you do need to cautious after dark.

Ruth Apr 19th, 2002 06:56 AM

Actually East Capitol is one street that you don't really need to know NE or SE. It runs east-west and is the dividing line between northeast and southeast for street designations. So on one side it's NE and across the street is SE. I lived on East Capitol many years ago and I think (but am not sure) that the even numbers are on the south side of the street. But there's only one 506 East Capitol, not like addresses on other streets where you do need to know the area designation. For example, there could be 506 K St NW, 506 K St NE and perhaps 506 K St SW and 506 K St SE as well (not sure how far K st. goes in SW/SE). I did have a cab driver one time ask me if my address was NE or SE, which only showed me that he really didn't know the city.