Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

$500 for weekend in New England - where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Chrissy

As a thank you, my husband's company is sending us away for the weekend - up to $500 - and we get to pick the place. We live just outside of Boston and don't want to go too far, so somewhere in New England is preferable. We're planning on going mid-May and would like to stay in a B&B/inn. Top choices right now are Nantucket or Cape Cod. Any suggestions (destination, lodging, etc.)? Thanks!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Frank

Chrissy, don't think you can do Nantucket for $500 if you include transportation (ferry for car is $$$ alone) and meals. Try Kennebunkport, ME, perhaps?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Howard

I wouldn't eliminate Nantucket. You might be able to keep within your budget that time of the year. And, since you're only going for a weekend, you can leave you car on the Cape and not take it on the ferry to save a few bucks.
Check out the Nantucket Chamber of Commerce (508-228-1700) or its website:
http://www.nantucketchamber.org
You should be able to get an idea on B&B prices from them.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:32 AM
bennie

How about Portland Me - its kind of an undiscovered place for most Bostonians. There are lovely hotels (Regency) and Old Town is great for walking around in and has tons of bars and restaurants. You could explore Cape Elizabeth too.

Or how about Portsmouth NH - also full of shops, restaurants and inns.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:58 PM
eman

Love Nantucket or the Vineyard. Leave the car at the dock & have fun. The islands are great in the Spring.
And always Newport for a fun wekend