Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 Star Maui or Big Island Resort - which is the least "nickel and diming"?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:52 AM
honeymoon man

Which of the following resorts is the least likely to charge us fees for everyday items at the resorts (examples would be beach chairs, snorkel gear, gym, tennis courts, etc) We booked the 4Seasons on Maui but are rebooking due to the construction. The main factor that drove us to book at the Four Seasons was the ability to not constantly be charged for little things.
Maui:
Grand Wailea, Fairmont Kea Lani, and Kapalua Bay Hotel
and
Big Island
The Orchid at Mauna Lani, the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel, and the Hapuna Prince

If anyone has an alternate selection for a 5 star resort that meets my criteria, please feel free to advise me! (We can not afford the Four Seasons on Big Island - we're looking to spend under $350/night and I don't want to spend $$ on things like beach chairs, pool use, and the gym)

Thanks!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:02 AM
xxx

You should be aware that construction is going on next door to the Kea Lani and between the Orchid and Mauna Lani. Not sure how it will impact you, but you should check with the hotels regarding the matter.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
honeymoon man

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to avoid all construction areas.

I wish I was told of the impending construction when I booked the Four Seasons.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:46 AM
xxxxx

Four Seasons has the least nickel & diming. You should consider the BI four seasons-a TA should be able to get you there for under 350/nt. Have you tried the free night deal with classic custom vacations? The Orchid and Hapuna are the only other resorts I know of that don't charge $25 plus for covered beach/pool canopies. Not sure about the Mauna Lani. Also, www.luxurylink.com runs auctions on the Kapalua Bay hotel Maui and the Hapuna. 5 nights ocean view, breakfast for 1500-1700, bid low - the auctions run every other week. Hapuna runs several different types of auctions so be careful to not bid on the golf vacation. Hope this helps = )

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Kevin

I agree with xxxxx.
While basic rates at Four Seasons and Ritz type places are higher, they usually are less 'nickel and dimey' from there on.
Places like Sheratons and Hyatts and such drive me crazy that way!
But if cost is a limiting factor, sometimes the nickel and diming still doesn't add up to the basic rate at a better hotel.
The FS Big Island is the best hotel in all the islands. Check rates before you give up on it. Try xxxxx's suggestion at least.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:48 AM
honeymoon man

Thanks for the responses. You've confirmed my thoughts exactly with regards to the Four Seasons. Thanks for the tips on how to get a lower rate there. I personally think that it's out of my league, but I'm going to try Custom Vacations and see what they can offer.

I personally hate paying little fees for things. For example, me and my fiance like to play tennis, but if we're expected to shell out $50/hour to rent a court, we're going to probably skip the activity (hey, we're not THAT into tennis). Ditto for renting umbrellas - I'm too much of a new England cheapskate and the nickling and diming drives me crazy. On the other hand, I am OK with paying a higher rack rate to compensate. Cheers

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
xxxxx

Sorry honeymoon man I forgot the luxurylink auction was for 6 nights, not 5. We did that auction last Sept for 1550 & the hotel gave us a nice big bowl of fruit & flowers as a welcome ammenity. They do charge $25 for covered canopies though.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Denise

We have always rented the Gold Crown (top shelf) condo/timeshares. We generally have approximately 1100 sq. Ft., private lanai, tennis courts, beach chairs etc. all included in our weekly rate. Have you considered renting a condo? I think you would be very pleased with all the privacy, additional space etc. It is so wonderful especially in the mornings when you are sitting out on your private lanai with your coffee watching the sun rise, or in the evening with Hawaii's gorgeous sunsets. The only hotel I've stayed at was The Princeville in Kauai. It was a beautiful hotel, but can't compare with a private condo. You might consider this as another option. Denise

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Monique

Not to be rude though I am sure it will be taken this way, but the nickel and diming is exactly why I chose Jamaica over hawaii. No regrets either. To each his own but a condo is NOT my idea of a great vacation. I don't want to cook or make sandwiches while on vacation. I don't want to worry if I should or shouldn't rent a mat at the pool because I may only use it a half hour, or if I should have one more drink or quit because I don't want a huge bar tab on checkout. Happy honeymoons to all but SOOOOOOOO glad I paid half of what Hawaii would have cost me for the same amenenties in Jamaica!!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Max

The Mauna Lani does not charge extra for snorkeling equipment or beach chairs and is a great hotel. I don't know about charges for tennis, the gym, etc., because I didn't use them. If still available, the Mauna Lani Experience is a good package. Check the hotel's web site.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Marian

We own a timeshare in Hawaii and I've NEVER cooked a real meal...the most my husband has done is throw some steaks on the bar-b-que.
We have coffee and fresh fruit in the mornings, that's the extent of any cooking I'll ever do in Hawaii. Afterall, we're on vacation! Marian

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Eileen

Part of what you pay for in Hawaii versus Jamaica is:
1) no drug dealers hassling you to buy pot every 30 seconds
2) beach vendors harassing you to buy carved trinkets and refusing to leave when you show no interest
3) a murder rate which is one fifteenth that of Jamaica's
4) lots of great restaurants with pretty high level of food safety
5) no visible poverty on every corner
6) very little 'trashy traveller' population
7) MUCH better variety of scenery and environments
8) MUCH better quality and variety of resorts
9) much less in the way of bugs and critters

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:25 PM
MissManners

Is it possible to stick to the subject without getting rude Ellen?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:32 AM
xxx

Who's Ellen??

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Madonna

Who's that girl?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:57 PM
jeb21

Jamaica???in the same breath as Hawaii??I guess if you feel you received same happiness in Jamaica as Hawaii - we want people like you in Jamaica! Harassment, aggressive - nasty panhandlers all over, and many other problems you would not encounter in Hawaii!!!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Emma

Own a condo in Kauai, oops, (OK, it's really only a timeshare) but we never pay to rent chiars. snorkel gear or use of the tennis couts...rediculous! Maybe you could rent someones timeshare/condo for your vacation. They're much nicer than hotel rooms IMO. Emma

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 03:07 PM

I have been to Hawaii twice, and Jamaica once. Here is why I won't go back to Jamaica:

Hawaii has such a rich, wonderful culture. It is after all part of
our "melting pot".
The people in Hawaii are overall much more friendly (people working in the resorts). The staff at the Grand Lido in Negril seemed disinterested in us most of the time.
I liked not 'paying' for anything at our all-inclusive, but frankly after 3 days, I was bored and wanted to leave the "compound". We were advised it was dangerous, and should stick to the resort. In Hawaii, I drove around whenever I wanted, and always, always felt safe.
In Jamaica, I was offered drugs at least 3-4 times per day, while on my raft on the ocean, by men in small boats just on the other side of the hotel rope.
I would rather support the USA with my dollars!!!!
I am planning trip #3 to Hawaii, and can't wait.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Definately the Four Seasons Maui or The Ritz Carlton Kapalua.When we stayed in Dec, there was absolutely NO nickel and diming.Beach chairs, cabanas at the pool, towels etc were all free.The Ritz does however, have a daily "resort fee" of $15 that includes entrance to the spa, shuttle service around Kapalua, Hawaiian programs etc.We had a fabulous time regardless and it was very private and luxurious.Have agreat trip!!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Wonder if honeymoon man had a good time? Anyone read his trip report? ; ) The original question was posted last year. Hey, any reason to talk about Hawaii, right?