Mid-week winter break-Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the week of the 22nd is winter break for everyone and many things are booked. But, I am trying to get away for a few days midweek to somewhere warm (I'm in Michigan) with DD who is 16. In my fantasy, it is a small hotel or cottage, on a beach in Florida or somewhere where I can easily get a flight. We need some time to recover from some difficult times, and not do to much. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM

The week of the 22nd of what? Who is everyone?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM

I just posted a trip report for St. Augustine. It is a wonderful place - both relaxing, but yet plenty to do. You would have access to a few beaches. Something to consider.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry VJ you couldn't figure out 22nd of this month, and everybody with kids in school- President's Day week.
Thank you Gina for your suggestion. I'll look into it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM

ilana--

Don't get too upset with VJ.

Where I live near Boston, school vacation this year is the week of February 15 (the actual Presidents' Day holiday), not Feb. 22. Where I grew up, school vacation is more likely to be the week of March 22 than Feb. 22.

And St. Augustine, although nice, will not be your fantasy escape to somewhere warm in February. It's too far north. You need to be farther south if you want to be sure of warm weather (but St. Augustine will be warmer than Michigan, most likely. I say "most likely" because there were days in January when it was warmer in New England than in Florida!).
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:39 AM

I don't know where you got the idea that this month is everyone's break but it's not.

The federal holiday is Washington's Birthday, not Presidents' Day, and is on the 15th, not the 22nd. Sorry you couldn't figure that out.

http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_...edhol/2010.asp
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM

If you want a quiet beach, I would suggest North Hollywood beach. It's a quick ride from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. There are several small hotels in the neighborhood. A few I've seen are The Ocean Queen Inn, which is right on the sand, the Desoto Hotel, The California Dream Inn & The Coronado (I think), there are several more, but those name come to mind. These are all little two story old time Florida hotels built in or around the 1950's. There is no public parking in this neighborhood, so the beaches are uncrowded. The Hollywood Broadwalk is only a mile south for restaurants and evening entertainment. Also Fort Laudedale is close by if you want to take a ride and enjoy some of the shopping and sites there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM

Ilana,
Take a look at Anna Maria Island. http://www.annamariaislandchamber.org/
I believe that it meets your criteria, including a short drive from the Sarasota/Bradenton airport or a slightly longer drive from Tampa.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the constructive and useful feedback/ suggestions Beaucoup, Sobeachkat and Cranachin. It helps me narrow down my hunting.