Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 nights in California Wine Country - All is one place or two places?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings.
We will be visiting the Napa/Sonoma area for the first time later this spring. We will have 5 nights total. I am thinking to definitely stay in Healdsburg for at least part of that time. Should we just stay all 5 nights in Healdsburg and day trip out from there visiting Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley and the surrounding areas or does it make more sense to spend 2 or 3 nights in Healdsburg and then 2 or 3 nights closer to Sonoma or somewhere else? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Calistoga also looks interesting. Thanks!!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, that should be all IN one place...
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM

You may get a little tired of wine stuff for 5 days - so perhaps take a trip to the coast. Healdsburg would be the best choice for proximity to the coast.

You can easily explore the entire wine country from Healdsburg - but if you want to change venues a bit - then consider the Napa Valley - although I much prefer Healdsburg.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu Dudley.
Thanks for your comments. I have read many of your other postings with interest. Any town in Napa Valley in particular that you recommend? Also, your comment that 5 days might be a little long concerns me a little but we will be coming from San Francisco and the first day will likely be stopping along the way - we may follow your scenic drive route - which then leaves 4 days for wine country. We are interested in good food so if you have any suggestions for interesting places to visit I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd like to stop at the Cowgirl Creamery and possibly at McEvoy Ranch if they have any events over our dates. Thanks again for your postings. They are very helpful.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Calistoga or St Helena will offer the most stuff to do besides eating & wine things. Yountville has very much less to do other than relax by the pool & try the many restaurants.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. Any thoughts on the town of Sonoma itself in terms of things to do in the evening and location?
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM

FYI: The small towns in the Napa Valley are not very far apart, so it won't matter terribly much which town as far as "things to do." Each town has a little different atmosphere; Yountville does have the most restaurants within walking distance if your lodging is in town. Also nearby is the fabulous Lincoln Theater which offers name entertainment. (Check their website).

St. Helena has retained its old town charm with lots of shops. There are some excellent restaurants there but not all right in downtown. And lodging is a bit more spread out. St. Helena also has the restored Cameo Cinema for first-rate and independent films.

Calistoga is an interesting old resort town (think Robert Louis Stevenson and historic mineral spas in the shadow of Mt. St. Helena). It has a very small walkable downtown.

The city of Napa is the largest in the Valley with a number of more modestly priced inns in a recently revived downtown within walking distance of many excellent restaurants that are garnering a lot of attention lately. The Napa Valley Opera House on Main St. has first-rate entertainment also. And the recently restored Uptown Theater is a new addition to the live entertainment scene.

It is only about a 30-40 minute drive on the 2-lane highway from Calistoga (at the north end of the valley) to Napa (at the south end), so your access to anything in the Napa Valley is relatively easy. I'd google images of each of these towns, just to see which one appeals the most. You can hardly make a bad choice.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM

I much prefer Healdsburg over Sonoma. Sonoma actually has some ugly sprawl & not-so-nice villages (Boyes Hot Springs) in the area. Also, I don't think the wine region around Sonoma is as interesting as the wine region in the Healdsburg/Dry Creek/Alexander Valley & Napa Valley/St Helena areas.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 03:04 AM

i found sonoma proper rather sleepy. i like to split my time a few days in the village of napa (at least you can walk off all the food and wine!) and santa rosa.