5 hr layover at O'hare on Thanksgiving!

Nov 13th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

5 hr layover at O'hare on Thanksgiving!

I have a 5 hr layover (cancelled connecting flight to blame from Indy) on Thanksgiving day. I am flying American to Paris. My question is, should I take advantage of the Admirals Club? Is it located close to the international departure area? Is it worth $50.00? Thanks for any info you can give!!
Nov 13th, 2005, 06:58 PM

If there's a chance you'll be flying business class to Paris you can use the Admirals club free.

Otherwise...with a 5-hour layover I'd pop for the one-time membership. The club is a very nice facility, complete with showers and such and is reasonably near the international departure gates.

Oh--you're usually given two tickets for a free drink each, which gets back some of the membership fee.
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Is it worth it?

Depends....

Underhill is mistaken on the 2 drinks coupon. As a day visitor you will not get any coupons.

The club has lots of room, a $bar, a limited $menu, quiet areas, comfortable couches. Very nice and clean bathrooms, shower rooms if you're interested, but since you'll arrive in Chicago after just a short flight from Indy, I don't think that is something that you care about. Internet access on desktop computers or pay as you go T-Mobile wireless access for your laptop. Nice selection of magazines and newspapers. Big screen TVs.

Is that worth $50 for 1 or $75 for 2?

I'm a member of AC but I fly a great deal so to me it's worth it and the yearly membership is only $250, but a one time deal for somewhat quieter, more clubby place to hang-out? Not sure if I would do it. You still have to pay for drinks/food. There are some great restaurants at the airport and if you are willing to leave the secure (airside) area, the O'Hare Hilton is attached to the airport. They have a very nice sports lounge which is more relaxed and quiter than the airport places and it also has a nice menu, or if that's not your cup of tea, you could purchase a day pass for their gym/spa. One of the best gym/spa in the US Hilton system. I'm not sure, but I believe a day pass is ~$15-20 per. Small swimming pool, showers, etc...

BTW, if you decide on the day pass, you can apply the $50 for a yearly membership if purchased within a month after your day visit.

Have a great trip!
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Every timie we've used the Admiral's Club on an international trip we've been given drink coupons. ???
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:12 AM

The 2 drink coupons are given to Platinum and Executive Platinums travelling on a long haul international flights. Passengers flying on a OW partner airline also get them, but that's only because AA charges the OW partner, so all passengers get them.

It can't hurt to ask, but it's not a perk for purely AC members or daypassers.