5 days with Teenage Girls in San Francisco

Feb 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

5 days with Teenage Girls in San Francisco

We are taking our two teenage grandaughters (13 and 16) to San Francisco for the week of March 20th and will be staying at the Warwick Hotel. We plan to go to Chinatown,the shopping district, Fisherman's Wharf, and Muir Woods. Any suggestions for outings, restaurants, specific destinations, etc the girls might enjoy?
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM

We are going the week before you are. I have been several years ago, my wife and daughter have never been. We plan to conitinue on from Muir Woods on to Pt. Reyes National Seashore. Weather will be a big factor, however. We plan on doing a segway tour. You will want to see the crooked steep street. We plan on going to Golden Gate Park for a day.
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM

I'd certainly look up Stu Dubley's recommendations. Weather permiting, taking historic walks around certain neighborhoods might be interesting. The new Science museum in Golden Gate park is really interesting and teens would like. Shopping on Market St. Nordstroms and that mall..taking the exterior glass elevator up to the top of the Fairmont (?) hotel on Nob Hill. I also like to grab food to go from Whole Foods market on Calif. street, and then cross the Golden Gate bridge and have a picnic in my car at the lookout center parking lot, and watch the sun set over the city.
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I'll look up the info on the Pt. Reyes National Seashore and the Stu Dubley's recommendations. Not sure what that is, but sure I'll find it. Do any of the historic hotels offer a high tea? It seems like the Fairmont used to years ago, but we haven't been to SF in almost 10 years.
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM

A walking & store-browsing tour through the Haight/Ashbury area might be an eye-opener for the teens.

Like kleroux mentioned, the new Academy of Science at GG park would be very interesting for the entire family. We were there last week. Go on a week day. Get there at 9:15. Four of you stand in line to get in, while 1 person purchases tickets for everyone. When they open the doors, you'll be in within 5 mins. Look for a "greeter" who will instruct you where/how to get badges for the Planetarium show. Get badges for the first show AFTER the 10:30 show (which is the first show of the day). Then go down to the Aquarium and spend 1 1/2 hrs there. Then get in line for the planetarium show. If you try to see the first planetarium show - you won't be able to see the entire aquarium exibitions before the show starts, and when you return to finish the aquarium after the show, it will be too crowded. They have an excellent cafeteria for lunch inside the complex. There is also a rain forrest exibition, but the line was too long around non when we finished up with the other venues, the line was too long.

Here are some other recommendations
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35129049

Stu Dudley
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Try High Tea at Lovejoys on Church St in the Noe Valley. Make resrvations - it is always crowded. To get there, hhop on the Muni Metro Undergound on Market St - it is the same underground as BART. There is an entrance on Powell. Get on the J-Church line and sit on the left side of the car - which is the side you enter on. As the car goes above ground, and enters Dolores Park several blocks later, there is a great view of the City skyline slightly behind you as you near the exit of the park. Get off the car 1 block past 24th st (major shopping street in the Noe Valley), and Lovejoys should be within 1 block. Before or after tea, browse the shops on 24th St between Church & Diamond st. I think the teens will love this shopping venue too - no Gaps/Bebes/mallstoreUSA, etc - only one-of-a-kind shops.

Stu Dudley
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Stu Dudley. Great recommendations. I'm off to look up the information online.
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM

If you want a traditional tea, you could also try Neiman-Marcus (in the rotunda - gorgeous), the Sheraton Palace (in the Garden Court - also gorgeous), and they used to do tea at the St. Francis, but I'm not sure they still do. At Neiman's and the Sheraton Palace, you sit at tables. At the St. Francis, you sat on couches and cushy chairs.

Feb 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM

There is also high tea at the Ritz-Carlton, we enjoyed a very nice lunch here. The girls may enjoy the Tonga Room at the Fairmont in Nob Hill. ***kim***
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Oh, I've had tea at the Ritz-Carlton, too, and to be honest, it was my least favorite of the group. The reason is that the tables were spaced differently - even though you sit at tables at Neiman and SP, it doesn't feel like you're eating a meal, it feels more spacious and relaxing. I don't know, can't really put my finger on it.
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM

They might enjoy taking a tour of Alcatraz.
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM

you have a lot of great ideas here for fun things to do with your teen girls.

i asked my dd who is 16 and a typical teen what she would recommend.

- haight is a must. the girls will enjoy poking around in this still hippie area. lunch or a snack at cha cha cha and music at amoeba is a must. this music store is enormous and quite mind boggling.

-golden gate park - if you are visiting the academy of sciences, the japanese tea garden is right around the corner. it will be gorgeous with the cherry blossoms probably in bloom and you can opt to have some tea in the cafe.

- westfield center and union square - tons of great shopping for teens esp. at h&m, zara and urban outfitters. taking a break from shopping and having lunch or tea at the rotunda at neiman marcus. the stained glass ceiling is magnificient and the hot popovers with strawberry butter are just divine.

-chinatown. so many interesting shops with some cool cheap trinkets.

-alcatraz. this is fascinating ex-prison you reach by taking a ferry from pier 33.
if you are interested, i would recommend booking tickets ahead of time as they sell out very quickly - esp. during spring break which is when i think you are visiting.

-tea at the ritz. it has been our twice annual tradition since dd was 3. we have tried all of s.f. and still come back to the ritz.
another spot that is beautiful is the garden court restaurant at the palace hotel. it has an exquisite turn of the century dome.
love-joy in noe valley has a very english country ambiance. we particularly enjoy all the mismatched china and poking around in their antique store across the street.

-sausalito. drive across the golden gate bridge or take the ferry from the s.f. ferry plaza.
teen favourite stores are the ferry company which has fun unusual teen junk and the candy store where you are welcomed an encouraged to taste every candy on display. the guy who used to own the place was a character. i hope whoever has taken over is just as much fun.

enjoy your trip!
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I second Tonga Room. Every time we go there, lots of young people. Go when they start "the show" of rain and thunder. From 7 or 8, don't remember for sure.
Feb 18th, 2009, 01:01 AM

We had Afternoon Tea on Valentine's Day in the beautiful glass domed Garden Court at the Palace Hotel. It's a very special occasion, and ambience fills the room. Reservations needed in advance, as it is only held on Saturday. The teens would love it. While some people were dressed very nicely, many had on nice jeans and jackets, as they had other touristy things to do during the day.

Many people refer to afternoon tea as high tea. Actually, high tea is "meat tea" and consists of a full dinner in Britain and it is on the heavier side. Tea is served, but so is meat, fish, eggs, cheese, bread and butter.

Afternoon tea, consists of small sandwiches, scones served with clotted cream and jam, and cakes, shortbread and sweets.

I can hardly wait to take my granddaughter in a year or two. They give the little girls crowns to wear during tea.
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Go to sftravel.com for lots ideas. Many of the suggestions already given are pictured on this web site. Why not look at it with your girls and come up with a plan together. Enjoy!
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM

If they enjoy music ( I did at that age) a stop at Virgin records might be fun.
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM

>>The girls may enjoy the Tonga Room at the Fairmont in Nob Hill. ***kim*** <,

Better go soon. The Tonga Room is scheduled to be closed, according to "Mattier & Ross" in today's Chron.

Stu Dudley