Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 days on the BI. What should be a not miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 12:20 PM
ritamarie

My family is going to the BI next month (daughters 13 & 15), we are staying at the Aston Seacliff Resort, would appreciate any words of wisdom on what we absolutely should not miss. Thanks!

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Lani

Besides the obvious, (Volcanoes Nat'l Park), "ritamarie",if you like flowers, don't miss the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens about 10 min. north of Hilo. They are so beautiful - a photographer's delight! And I loved the beautiful little Painted Church up in the coffee regions above South Kona, and the City of Refuge Nat'l Park, near Kealakekua Bay.

Have a wonderful trip!

Aloha, Lani

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 09:25 PM
David

We love the upcountry north of Waimea/Kamuela (Parker Ranch area)- highways 250 and 270 are both beautiful (go north on the lower, coastal route and come back on the upper inland route. Lunch at Bamboo Restaurant in Hawi town is nice (closed Mondays) and there are some galleries with local art. Then continue east to end of the road at Pololu Valley and hike down to the beach- 600-800 foot drop with spectacular views of the coast and lush valley.

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 09:23 AM
Frank

I heartily agree with David's recommendation of Highway 250, only I would suggest driving it north to Hawi as well as on the return drive down to Waimea. Other suggestions: horseback ride in Waipi'o Valley through taro farms,streams, black sand beach and nearby waterfalls, dine at Roy's (in the Kings Shops)and Merriman's (in Waimea)

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Monica

There are a few things your family shouldn't miss while on the Big Island. First, snorkel at Kahalu'u Beach Park in Kona. Snorkel gear can be rented there and it's perfect for beginners or the more advanced snorkeler. Second, have Mud Pie at the Kona Inn Restaurant. It's great pie and the view is terrific-especially at night. Third, go to the Volcano. There are lots of activities and sights to see there. Fourth, at least drive to the lookout at the Waipi'o Valley and if you've got the time I've been told the horseback ride in the Valley is amazing. Fifth, don't miss the Place of Refuge. There is great snorkeling in many areas there and it's a beautiful spot to have a picnic (past the park there's a short road that leads to a picnic area). Just drive the island! There's so much to see-the terrain varies and it's all great. If your girls want to go to a great beach, take them to Hapuna (be careful if the waves are up) or to the beach at the Mauna Kea Hotel. I found a great guide book called "Hawaii, the Big Island Revealed" by Andrew Doughty/Harriett Friedman. I've been going to the Big Island for years and I've found it to be really accurate. Have a great time over there!

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Vicki

JUST RETURNED last night from the BI, stayed at the Seacliff also. (Fine as accomodations go, lacking a few items in the condo that would have been helpful, but since we were never there, it really was no big deal. Try to get a condo that isn't overlooking the parking lot if you can--otherwise, very comfortable, very roomy, two pools, gorgeous sunsets from the seating areas way up the stairs to the front of the complex).
Do not miss the volcano--Chain of Craters road is awesome. My kids (16, 15 and 15) loved it. Walked out a bit on the lava flow to see the lava flowing into the ocean but although lots of folks were walking out farther, I wouldn't risk it. The wind was howling when we were there and rangers tell of stories of glass-like shards blowing into your eyes if you get too close, benches breaking off into the water, etc. etc.).
Another must see-the Hilo side of the island, for its incredible beauty, monster flowers and ferns, etc. absolutely gorgeous, I brought back some anthurium which is sitting on my dining table now. Your kids will even enjoy the scenery here. We stayed the night in Hilo because I think trying to go out there in a day and back is insane, like doing Hana on Maui in a day. We enjoyed taking our time at the volcano and then spending a little time exploring Hilo. (Oh and try to do the Kilauea Iki trail if you can at the volcano, you'll need a few hours for that, we didn't have the time and really would like to do that next time.)

Snorkeling good at A-bay, go out to the reef on the left for lots of big fish. Boogie boarding good at Hapuna Beach if the surf is high enough, but not TOO high. A gorgeous beach and not at all crowded this week on a busy holiday week.

Try a meal at the Kona Inn for FRESH local fish and a great view at sunset.

I can tell you that five days on the Big Island won't be nearly enough, it is huge and you do a lot of driving to go anywhere other than staying in Kona or Kohala areas, so pick what you really want to do and head there. You will not see it all by any means. We had six days and will return soon to see what we didn't see this time.

Enjoy. Feel free to email me with more specific questions.

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 03:22 PM
karl

I was on the Island this past November. In addition to everything that's been covered above, make sure you go to a luau! I went to the one at the Royal Kona Resort and had a great time. They put on a nice show with lots of history and costume changes.

Have fun! Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions.

Karl

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 05:12 PM
ritamarie

Thanks so much for all the info. Just knew that 5 days wouldn't be enough. Husband is a geologist, so can't miss the park, is the helicopter ride something we should do? Seems like it might cover things we may miss. Guess we'll just have to go back!! Thanks again...!

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 07:59 PM
Vicki

Ritamarie: I did not cover the helicopter ride on my earlier post, but we did take a ride with Blue Hawaiian (got an internet-special rate of $114 pp-Circle of Fire and Waterfalls Tour; check their website). Our family of five went up with them, from Hilo Airport, right up over the Pu'O'oh' (sp?) vent, out to the ocean where the lava is flowing and over the towns that have been buried, and over to some waterfalls behind Hilo. Three out of our five did very well with the trip, but my husband and one son had a tough time after we got back,they were awfully woozy and nauseous--didn't get sick tho!. Other than that, it was a great highlight of our trip and you could see things you'd never see from the ground. We flew right over the vent and then while flying down to the ocean flew right over "skylights" filled with bright red lava, really a sight to see. We even bought the video of our trip. Check the National Park's website (Konaweb.com and BigIsland.org have links) for current activity.
Have fun.