Notices

5 day 4 night Drive of Natchez Trace in June

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 day 4 night Drive of Natchez Trace in June

I'm a professor and am out all summer, my mom is retired. So we took the kids on a road trip. It was myself ( mid 30's), mom ( mid 60's) and kids ages 14,13,8. We all like to travel, history, outside space etc.

Day 1. Drove from Central Arkansas to Natchez, Mississippi. Had lunch at the Riverfront park by the gazebo at a picnic table. It was a nice view of the Mississippi River. It started to rain and so our park got cut short. We then went to the Visitor's Center to learn about the area which was informative and a good stop. Then we drove around and just looked at several antebellum homes. We also visited the Forks in the Road monument and I had a brochure about it I read to the kids. That was historically relevant and a good history lesson for us all. It stopped raining. We went to the Natchez National Cemetary and the regular Natchez Cemetary and looked for the Turning Angel. Had dinner at Fat Mama's ( yummy) and dessert at The Malt Shop ( yummy).

Day 2 Natchez- Tupelo. Beautiful Day and we took advantage to do several small hikes, visit the Emerald Mounts ( Native American sacred site) a few old churches, a few pieces of the Old Trace. Picnicked along the way. We saw an alligator in the wild ( which my kids thought was pretty great). Also saw deer, wild turkey and a bald eagle very close up. Did not see another person out of their car at any of the sites we visited. It was like we owned the Trace. Ordered a pizza that night to eat in the room and swam in the hotel pool.

Day 3 Stayed in Tupelo and drove up to visit the Key Underwood CoonDog Cemetary. We grew up in the South and always had coon dogs. My daughters have seen Sweet Home Alabama where there is a coon dog cemetery and we liked reading all the names and the unique tombstones. Went to Tishomingo State Park for picnic, hiking, playing on the huge swinging bridge and playground. It's a great state park. Ate dinner that night in Tupleo and swam in pool.

Day 4. Tupelo- end of the Trace ( which is somewhere around Franklin Tennessee).
Did more stops, more hikes, cypress swamp, all kinds of fun trails. Saw a few old structures, where Meriwether Lewis met his demise, a War of 1812 Monument and a few more hikes and waterfall. Glen Rock was a great stop and again- we were the only ones there. The kids played in the creek, climbed etc. Towards the very end of the terminus was Jackson Falls, which had maybe 5 other cars, but the hike and actual falls were not too busy. Plenty of room for social distancing and the kids played in the water, explored etc. Drove through Leipers Forks- a cute little town right off the Trace and saw Justin Timberlake's house. Dinner delivered to hotel.

Day 5. Back home to Central Arkansas.

Great trip overall and we had so much fun. The kids loved exploring and being able to not have other folks around. Our "regular" vacay had been canceled due to COVID, but this was a great replacement. Lots of history, lots of nature and lots of laughs and fun.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the report. Glad the trip went well.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Sounds wonderful. We've been to the Franklin end, including Leiper's Fork (BECAUSE Justin Timberlake lives there). Lovely area.
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 02:51 AM

Nice trip. This brought back memories of s drive on the Trace where we saw wild pigs being chased by dogs. Thanks for the report.