Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   5-7 days away with 2 50 yr old birthday boys (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/5-7-days-away-with-2-50-yr-old-birthday-boys-849244/)

mom04 Jul 12th, 2010 03:00 PM

5-7 days away with 2 50 yr old birthday boys

Where would you go for a quick getaway for this milestone birthday. Both boys may have an issue with too much walking .We would like to make it really special for the two of them. We were toying with going to Europe but there are so many great cities in the states. I think they would both like to visit great restaurants, and visit interesting places and maybe go to a small concert or some shows. We were looking at mid November as the time to go. Open to any and all suggestions.

krgystn Jul 12th, 2010 03:34 PM

with or without the spouses?

centex Jul 12th, 2010 03:39 PM

As a 53 year old boy, New York, Chicago or D.C. would get my vote for the states. London, Paris or Rome for Europe-if you've never been, this would be special. What are their interests? 5-7 days is long enough to see quite a bit at a somewhat leisurely pace, depending on where you go. Tell these boys to get their walking shoes on and get in shape by November ;). I'm thinking weather would be fairly temperate in all of these places in November?

Have fun planning!

mom04 Jul 12th, 2010 04:04 PM

Unfortunately it is more of knee issues with the walking. Maybe we will just hop them up on some good meds. I had actually wanted to go to Florence but that is me (I'll have to drop the hints for mine). We had talked about London. My guy would love to see a soccer match. The other is into good food, good music, even at a small bar or venue. New York will probably be on the short list, but I love the leisurely pace of Europe and might try to steer the trip in that direction. They would like this to be a total surprise--the pack my bag and blindfold me type of thing (or is that just them getting out of packing?!) I would like it to be a trip of surprises...

mom04 Jul 12th, 2010 04:05 PM

Sorry..it's with the spouses

krgystn Jul 12th, 2010 04:08 PM

mom, how about Buenos Aires? It is a very European city with tons of stuff to do. Perfect for 5-7 days. Great food if they are into steaks and wine.

mom04 Jul 12th, 2010 04:31 PM

krgystn,
Sounds interesting. Will start researching it.

SAnParis2 Jul 12th, 2010 06:11 PM

What about Montreal ? Where are you originating from ? Or if you are afraid of the cold, New Orleans.

garyt22 Jul 12th, 2010 09:16 PM

Vegas baby... amazing shows... world class dining... top notch accomodations... ride a gondola at the Venetian... climb the Eifel Tower, see NYNY... the world in ten square miles...

SAnParis2 Jul 13th, 2010 06:31 AM

As an almost 50 yr old myself, Vegas wouldn't even be in the Top 100. For a 21st B-Day, now that would make sense.

sf7307 Jul 13th, 2010 08:42 AM

Some of the suggestions are just so far for a 5-7 day trip --- it would be good to know where you're starting from (ex. San Francisco to Rome, no way, but New York to Rome, maybe!)

Or if you're on the West Coast, how about Hong Kong?

(As for Vegas, everyone has an opinion, and mine is one day once every 10 years is enough for me!)

mom04 Jul 13th, 2010 10:13 AM

We are leaving from Toronto.
I feel similarly about Vegas, but I know my hubby would love to go back. Are there any big boxing matches in November in Vegas?
Europe is a big pull for me, but it has to be doable (not too exhausting as we have lots of kids to come home to).
The big thing for me is that we pick something that we may not normally do. I would really like to make it a birthday to remember.

sf7307 Jul 13th, 2010 10:30 AM

Amsterdam - you can fly nonstop from Toronto.

garyt22 Jul 13th, 2010 12:10 PM

the Vegas thing is about the biggest concentration of shows quality food and luxury accomodations in the smallest area... you can see 5 shows, eat in 5 multi-star restaurants, and stay cheap in a 5 star hotel without breaking a sweat...

sf7307 Jul 13th, 2010 12:29 PM

And at the same time be in a totally contrived environment enjoying the crowds of people walking around with booze "glasses" hanging from their necks. What more could you ask? :-)

garyt22 Jul 13th, 2010 03:22 PM

Add in the whores and drugs and you have amsterdam...

emalloy Jul 14th, 2010 03:25 AM

San Francisco!!