Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon- Hyatt Kawai-Has anyone stayed there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:53 PM
Melody

I am going on my honeymoon the end of July and we are thinking of staying at the Hyatt in Kawai. We got a good rate and would like to know if anyone has stayed there and what info. they might have on the hotel or Kawai. We live in NYC so we would like to be in a very quiet place.

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:10 PM
hyatt

Oh no! See the current Hyatt Screwed Me thread and be forewarned! It's Kauai by the way.

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:26 PM
screwed by hyatt

Suggest you do an archive search on the property for a more balanced view. We had a problem and that is why we posted our gripe. We are hoping for a positive resolution and our intent wasn't to turn other business away from them. Perhaps their GM has already spanked the front desk crew and future guests will be treated better.

I've read of others having a positive experiences at the Hyatt and a few others with problems. If your expectations aren't too high and if you haven't been to a lot of luxury resorts for comparison you'll probably enjoy it.

We thought it was an over-rated modern version of the Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island. A few similarities in the layout, although the Waikoloa felt more genuine and the Hyatt more packaged.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:01 AM
Leslie

I didn't stay there but visited. I found this to be a terribly large and formal hotel. While, elegant, it didn't feel at all relaxing to me. In that same area, I'd prefer to stay in a more lowrise casual place such as the Kiahuna Plantation, with a real Hawaiian flavor....

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:50 AM
annemarie

It is a beautiful resort and I am sure that you will love it. I stayed there a few years back. I would also recommend though that you divide your time up(if you can) between the north and south shore. The Princeville on the north shore has a location to die for and the property is beautiful(restaurants are not that hot...but nearby Hanalei has some good ones). North shore has placid, swimmable water in July whereas the south shore does not.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
fran

Loved the Hyatt in Kauai. Our son was married there 2 years ago and we stayed there a few days before the wedding. Great beach, very quiet. It's at the end of the road so little traffic going by. The pool area is nice because its made up of several different areas so you don't see everyone at the hotel when you are walking around or laying out. It was definitely first class and I felt pampered. Great spa facilities. If you want quiet at a very nice hotel -this is it.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:54 PM
becky

Strong on style, short on substance.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Mass

Just got back from my honeymoon at the Kauai and Oahu on Saturday. The Hyatt grounds are absolutely beautiful!! It is far better than the Princeville which I visited and even got to see a room. Princeville did have unique bathrooms that offered views of the ocean. However, that is it! The place was like Vegas meets Paris. This hotel does not belong in Hawaii. It is very stuffy and it caters to an older crowd. The pool looks like it is from the 70's.(I had to get this out because of all the post comparing the Hyatt and Priceville). The Hyatt's rooms are basic...nothing to write home about, but they have a nice hawaiian decor. We had a partial ocean view with a balcony and it was nice. Some say the Hyatt is over rated, but I think it is the best on the island after driving around and seeing a few others! The luau was nice and so were the restaurants. The spa was top notch. But mainly...the Hyatt is about atmosphere.Your breath is taking away as soon as you step foot into the lobby. You feel like you are definitely in PARADISE. However to be fair ... I remember reading about mildew rooms on this site before I left and that is true...I went into a room that had a lagoon view on the 1st level and it did have a mildew odor. We were upgraded to a partial ocean which also had a view of the pool area (no odor). So I could not complain. I guess in a place were it rains so much this can be a problem, but the Hyatt needs to fix it as much as they charge for rooms! The Hyatt is not run down and falling apart like some might suggest. I would give it 4 stars! We stayed at the Kahala on Oahu and it was awesome...better than the Hyatt and Princeville in terms of rooms and service. It did not have the grounds of the Hyatt, but it has it's own unique charm. It has a private beach and it is very peaceful!! The dolphin lagoon was an added bonus. If you go to Oahu definitely stay here. It is away from the hussel of Waikiki, but still close enough to get to if you want to. We ate at the Beach House and Roys ...both were awesome!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Sue

You might also want to read Hyatt Kauai that bad. It's number 93 on these postings.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:01 PM
love princeville

If you are going in July, by all means, stay in Princeville instead. The sky, the water, the light, the view of the mountains, the clouds on the mountain, the sunsets are all fabulous. Summer on the north shore lifts your heart and your spirit and you will come back enriched.

The Hyatt Poipu is O.K. but what is cozy to some people is claustrophic to others.