4th of July--NYC or Philadelphia

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:17 AM
T-Ann

4th of July--NYC or Philadelphia

We have a condo in Shawnee-on-Delaware,PA the first week of July. We have 3 teenagers and 2 Italian visitor. We hope to visit NYC and Philadelphia. Where is the best place to spend 4th of July? Since we have a car, do we drive into NYC and where do we park? Or do we catch a train or subway some where, and where? How do you go about getting studio audience tickets and is it worth the time?

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
rqf

I don't know what is happening in Philadelhia but there will be a huge fireworks display in NYC on July 4th. There will be a free concert in Battery Park featuring Wynton Marsalis - it will be crowded.

It would be less expenive3 to drive into the city and since it is a holiday most parking regulations will not be in effect so on street parking will be available. Or you could put the car in a parking garage for the day for less than $15. Traffic should not be a major problem. You could use public transpotation to get around the city.

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:53 AM
philly

The 4th is big in Philly. Lots going on around the Art Museum -- including, usually, well-known entertainment -- and culminating with a big fireworks and laser-light show.

The city of course tries to discourage people from driving in and encourages the use of public transportation. Contact SEPTA to get the details. If you're just interested in the fireworks, you can get a view of them from the Jersey side of the river.

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Robert

EASILY, Philadelphia is the right choice for July 4th celebrations. With a "Welcome America" promotion that lasts 14 days - complete with fireworks, live concerts, food festivals, cultural events and more -- it's the perfect thing to do with a family. There is so much to check out, you can't risk being bored. Visit their site: http://americasbirthday.com/

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:16 AM
nyer

Robert--"Easily" ???

This year in NYC there is going to be a HUGE celebration and fireworks display

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Robert

True, NYC will have a wonderful celebration - espcially since it's the first Fourth of July post 9/11 ... but for true diversity, better mobility, and less security headaches, my money is on Philly for July 4 -- even if I wasn't a 'filuffian'

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:11 AM
erika

Plus, there's just something very cool about being in the birthplace of liberty on the 4th of July .

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:23 PM
another Nyer

New York's 4th of July always seems minimal to me compared to other cities.
There are always fireworks (though you have to stand waiting for a long time to get a good viewing spot on the FDR drive) and there is always a concert downtown--this year doesn't look to be any different.
I would do Philly on the 4th.

Since the 4th is on a Thursday, I suspect most New Yorkers will take off Friday and take a long weekend out of town.

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Howitzer

Im a stickler for perfect choice of music and synchronization with my fireworks...Philadelphia does it with high marks from me.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Nikki

I don't know about Philly being the BEST place for fireworks and July 4th celebrations. My money would be on the Nation's capitol WASHINGTON DC - the city puts on the very best fourth of July.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Sela

I will be in NYC on July 4. Can sombody give me the details regarding the fireworks display? Where is a good place to stand...how soon do you start lining up to see them? What time do they start. What other celebrations will happen that day? Thanks!

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:55 PM
NewYorker

NY is minimal?
LOL, that is a switch,people usually complain about all things in NY being too much,too big, too loud ,too something, but now it is "minimal".thank you for the chuckle

I will be here to see the minimal fireworks,and to salute the country and New York.