Reload this Page >

4th of July in Boston

Search

4th of July in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Larry

4th of July in Boston

Visiting Boston for 4th of July. Where do we want to be that night and what are the festivities there? Fireworks, etc?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:57 AM
John

This is probably the "best" 4th of July celebration. The BostonPops puts on a concert which leadtothefireworks (1812 Overture with artillery lead in).
The concert is in the Hatch Shell (free). The "but" is that there will be hundreds of thousands of people. If you are claustrophobic beware. To getaplace on the Esplanade where you can hear and see you need to get there early in the morning and put your blanket down.
If you don't care about the Pops and just want to see the fireworks (you can also hear the concert on TV or on the Radio live.) The best vantage point is actually across the river in Cambridge or from one of the bridges. (it's also easier to get out at the end.)
Avoid driving at all costs. Take the T and be prepared for crowds.
It really is a wonderful experience.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Audrey

You want to be on the banks of the Charles River at the Hatch Shell for the Boston Pops concert. See www.July4th.org for all the info you'll need, including where to park, how to use the T, etc.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:21 AM
judy

If July 4th is normally a fun and exciting holday for you, there is nothing like celebrating it in Boston. The city is filled with people who come from all over the world to celebrate the 4th at the Hatch shell. There is so much anticipation, excitement and it is a real thrill to experience it by being right there. Yes there are a zillion people, but if you go into it knowing that you will have a blast. There is a real sense of patriotic spirit shared by all who gather there. It's not just the 4th but Boston seems to celebrate the holiday for many days before and after. There are some boat excursions on the Charles River for viewing which is a wonderful thing to do - not sure the names but you could call Boston tourist # or look on line.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Jen

There are many things to do:

1. Yes, the Esplanade, with the Pops. I live in Boston and one year, had dinner with my husband, strolled over to the Esplanade after dinner (actually, the road across from it), grabbed a spot on the curb, and watched the fireworks. Didn't hear the Pops or see them, but the fireworks are great.

2. The Harbor has fireworks usually on the 3rd. Less spectacular, but coupled with a dinner in the Italian North End, and then over to Waterfront Park to watch the fireworks is fun. There are boats to that do dinner and fireworks in the Harbor - the Odessey, LIberty Clipper. YOu need advance tix for those.

3. The Freedom trail has all kinds of things happening along it. At the old State House, they read the Declaration of Independence outside on the same balcony on which it was first presented to the public. Usually in the morning on the 4th.

See www.bostonharborfest.com and www.july4th.org for details!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:34 AM
tcc

I'm another that loves the Hatch Shell for the 4th of July. I used to live in Boston, but now live in NYC, and my friends and I had sort of reunion in Boston a couple years ago during the holiday. As John said, you have to go as early as possible and set out your blanket on the grass or forget about securing a spot. My friends and I took turns watching our spot and going off to have fun (two of us were in the first shift and sat on the blanket for two hours and then two more people came and let us go off to wander while they watched the area, and so on). It really is a lot of fun.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Ann

Things have improved somewhat at the 4th celebration. In the past two years there have been huge TV screens set up along Storrow Drive as far out as Fairfield St. or so, and sound towers that far as well. Unless you run for the oval at dawn and camp there all day, for "seeing" the show live. But the TV screens are excellent substitutes. If you just want the fireworks, you can be anywhere along the river (either side). The past two years I've stood on the Mass Ave bridge for a terrific view (but no sound unless you bring a radio). You do need a strategy. The boat rides are also a fun way to see the fireworks, but they are rather pricy. I've done them twice.

If you can be at the Hatch Shell on the 3rd, the Pops do a full dress rehearsal concert, including the celebrety guests, and if you arrive early (like 5pm) you can actually see the show. The oval will be filled with chairs for people from the MDC (Metropolitan District Commission) but you can see from behind them usually, and you will experience the real Pops...then come back on the 4th for the fireworks!

Have a great time...I'll probably be on the bridge this year.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Peter

The other strategy for seeing the pops is to wait to about an hour before the concert to proceed to the Hatchshell. At that time they close Storrow Drive and you can sit in the roadway. You are very close to the concert and have a front row seat to the fireworks without the huge crowd and having baked in the sun for 12 hours.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 09:26 AM
zz-top

Check out -- http://www.bostonharborfest.com/

There's activities going on from June 28th thru July 4th !!! Great place to celebrate the holiday.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 04:21 PM
Suzanne

FOR LORI: (another poster who'll be there on the 4th!)

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:18 AM
Cheryl

After reading these posts this sounds like a great thing to do for July 4th ... I think I will look into for next year. What would be the best hotel to stay in where one could walk to most activities or be relatively close if taking public transport?

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:59 AM
Ann

I think if I could have any room in the city for this evening it would be one overlooking the river in the Sonesta in Cambridge. I think you could see the whole fireworks show and never leave your room! The Kendall Sq. Marriot (also Cambridge) would be terrific as well (river view room??). The Cambridge Hyatt, although right on the river, is too far upstream for perfect viewing. Otherwise, any of the Back Bay hotels would be a very easy walk over to the Esplanade.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:48 AM
melissa

From the M.I.T. side, you can see the fireworks and hear the music (piped in). I have to add - before and after the fireworks and Pops play, they pipe in tunes for the crowds on either side of the river. There is nothing like standing shoulder to shoulder with people from all walks of life, all of whom are singing the words to Aretha Franklin's "Respect". A hilarious memory. I can't wait for this year's celebration.