4th of July Birthday Celebration

Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

4th of July Birthday Celebration

My dad's 70th birthday is July 4, 2005. We live in NJ and I wanted to throw a surprise party in NY for him. I want to rent space or maybe a boat. Does anyone have any suggestions for a party of 40?
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:59 PM

Do you mean NYC, or anywhere in the state of NY?
Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:09 PM

How about a birthday bash on one of the World Yacht boats?
We have friends who have had weddings on them, so a birthday is possible too.
The Puck Bldg in Soho has space for parties.
Does he have a favorite restaurant in NYC that you could take over a room?
What a nice idea although your one problem will be the fact that so many places close on the 4th.
Good luck~
Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:14 AM

I think you need to tell us more about what you have in mind. Are you looking for someplace to see fireworks at night? Is it during the day? Will most of the guests be from NJ? Would you consider one of the rest. on the NJ side in Weehawken etc.?

The Water Club has private rooms for parties and would be ideal for fireworks views.

The Zagat guide has a section on places with private rooms. Theknot.com is a macro wedding website that would have listings of venues. The options are endless.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

First thing, is that a view of the fireworks is utmost important. Most of the guests are coming from NJ, so if there is a Jersey restaurant with a view of the fireworks, I'm all for that. I know this is going to cost some $$$$, but I am trying not to break the bank.

Thanks for all of the advice. Any particular venue suggestions that fit the above?
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:16 AM
GoTravel

travlbum, what is your budget? For an evening party on a boat in NYC harbour on July 4th, your minimum cost will be around $250 per person.

Beleive it or not, somewhere that would be normally really pricey may be a bargain.

I formerly did this sort of thing for a living and if you give me your budget per person and your tentative head count, I can point you in the right direction.

Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:27 AM

I think Scarlett's idea of the World Yacht cruise is the best. I read they've recently hired chef Marcus Samuelsson to manage food operations. If you wanted to do a rest. in NJ, I think Jersey City is where the views would be. Not familiar with what's there. A place at the South Street Seaport in NYC would have views but I think would be very inconvenient for your guests. Remember the fireworks don't start til ~9:15pm.
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Go Travel - I actually am a meeting and event planner. I am just trying to get a recommendation for a venue that someone has already done. Once I get a few options, I can start going to the venues and checking them out.

The cruise is going to be too expensive. A restaurant in Jersey would be best, but I am not sure where you can see the fireworks from. Don't they go off on the Eastside?
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:25 AM

They do go off on the east side. But last year they added a 3rd barge near the Statue of Liberty so you could see that from Jersey City/Liberty State Park. I'm not sure whether they'll do that again as I think it was in celebration of reopening the Statue of Liberty this year.

The only places I can think of that would have views are some of the restaurants at the South Street Seaport, the Water Club and maybe Water's Edge in Long Island City. Pete's Downtown in Brooklyn across from the River Cafe might be an option but I've never been so can't comment on the view.