4th of July

Jun 7th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Denise

4th of July

My husband and I are making a return trip to New York City for the 4th of July, this time bringing our older kids (15 and 20) with us so they can see the city we fell in love with last year. My question is what to do on the 4th. I've heard that the NY Philharmonic plays in Central Park and that there are fireworks afterwards, but I've also heard that the fireworks and hoopla on the East River are magnificent. We don't know which to do so I'm looking for some recommendations.
Thanks,
Denise

Jun 7th, 2002, 09:18 AM
nyer

http://www.newyorkled.com/moreNYseasonal_4th_July.htm

this looks like a good site for whats happening ! Have a great time in NYC!

Jun 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
nyer

Philaharmonic in the park with Fireworks is not on the 4th--there are 2 dates later in July.
There's only one official 4th july fireworks in Manhattan , over the east river.

Usually, the 4th is a day for some street fairs and a musical performance in Lower Manhattan. Haven't really heard much about it this year. Many downtown events for the summer are listed under a new inclusive title of "River to River

see details at http://www.rivertorivernyc.org/

Jun 7th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Merilee

One idea would be to spend the day and evening at South Street Seaport...there are performers of all kinds on that day...you could also take a boat ride and view the museum there...the main building that sits along the East River has many shops, restaurants, and a food court...you'd be there in plenty of time to grab a spot to watch fireworks...I'm only suggesting South Street Seaport because (to me) it's alot better than being sandwiched in on the FDR Drive, which the city closes to allow a place for people to watch fireworks...South Street Seaport also allows you the freedom to eat, have access to a bathroom, etc....I have taken family and friends to other locations and they liked this one best for the reasons I mentioned.

Search this Thread