Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

$49 per night guest house in Key West - looks pretty good!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 07:16 AM
Owen O'Neill

I posted this in the Budget forum but thought it might interest some folks here. I have no affiliation with the guest house I describe and don't know if they have a website but the issue fo low priced accomodations in KW appears here regularly and it seems like worthwile info to share.
I was just in KW last weekend and stayed at Jasmine House, a small but very nice guest house on Center Street, a short block off Duval about six blocks from the Atlantic end. They have two "porchside rooms" that are very nice and range from $65 to $89 per night depending on season. Knowing that this is still a bit too pricey for many folks, I investigated Caribbean House after having breakfast at Blue Heaven in Bahama Village. Caribbean House is diagonally across from Blue Heaven, one door in from the main street. Some have expressed concerns about personal safety late at night in some parts of Bahama Village - I can't verify the vaildity of those concerns but can assure all that this is in a good spot. It's close to Duval and Blue Heaven is a very popular spot until late at night as they have a restaurant in addition to the bar. The guest hosue is two stories with a limited number of rooms - all appear to have outside entrances off a wraparound porch. Includes pastry and coffee type breakfast. Thw owner/manager showed us a room and it was very pleasant. Bright and simple wiht a print on the wall, double bed, minifridge, washstand in the room and also a small bathroom with toilet and shower. bed seemed comfortable and the facility was very clean. The $49 appears to be their regular price all year and represents a great value. I would reserve in advance as we were there during one of KW's slowest annual periods (early to mid December) and Caribean House was sold out that weekend despite vacancies everywhere else.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 07:20 AM
Owen O'Neill

Just clarify - the room was about 9x12 at most and had no dresser or closet but did have a clothing rod in the corner to hang clothes. Don't expect luxe for this price but it was actually nicer than the typical budget chain motel in terms of aesthetics (IMHO). I would stay there if I was spending little time in the room but would go up as few $$ for a place with a pool or more ambiance if I was going to hang out around the room (which was the case on my most recent visit).

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 07:28 AM
Carol

Thanks Owen, I just printed out your post and will check it out for another visit to the Keys. In February, we are alreay booked at the Hyatt, but I have noticed that we never spend any time in our room, so why pay through our teeth. Great info. Glad to hear you had a fun weekend. Happy Holidays.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 07:55 AM
Owen O'Neill

If you've been able to afford the Hyatt I'd suggest you consider Jasmine House. The location is great (still close to Blue Heaven, where I always eat breakfast in KW) and it really is much nicer than Caribbean House (not knocking them nbut there are limits to what you can offer for $49). On my recnet trip we splurged for the Honeymoon Suite which was incredible (and she knocked off $40 per night because it was the slow season in December). In addition to being a nice mix between quaint and elegant, Jasmine offers pool privileges at another guest house complex across the street whereas Caribbean has no pool (but again... it's good for the price).

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 08:04 AM
Carol

Thanks Owen, I know that you do not have a personal interest in this place, so I think we may give it some consideration.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 01:18 AM
MH

topping for a new poster

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:43 PM
charles

Thanks again MH. I'll check it ou.