411 on South Beach

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411 on South Beach

My wife and eight year-old son are traveling to Miami for 6 days after spending 4 days in Key West. Does anyone have recommendations for cheap eats for breakfast? In addition, any scoop on reasonably-priced spots for lunch and dinner?

BTW...We are staying that the Palms Hotel. Any thoughts?

Thanks...Matthew
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Your kid will like Johnnie Rockets on ocean drive also for good food go to Wolfies on 21st and Collins a very famous place in the day. They have some of the Best Pastrami and Corned beef you will ever have . They still put out bowls of garlic pickles and cole slaw. Also great chicken noodle (good jewish coffee shop /24 dinner)They serve large portions so you could split a sandwich or other entrees. The Lincoln Park mall is a nice place for a stroll and lots of restaurant choices .
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Best cheap breakfast place in South Beach itself: Front Porch Café, in the Penguin Hotel, Ocean Drive. Other good, reasonably priced alternatives: Cardozo Café, Nexxt Café, News Café, Jerry's Famous Deli (Collins Ave.).

Lunch and dinner? I love Puerto Sagua on Collins-- Cuban home cooking, in a diner setting. There are a couple of good Thai places on Washington, such as Thai House-- those are usually fairly reasonable. Dinners at the Cardozo Café and the Front Porch are good and not too expensive. Larios on the Beach, Gloria Estefan's Cuban place on Ocean, is good, not fine dining by any stretch, but the food is tasty.

Now, your hotel looks lovely, but you ARE aware that you are not IN South Beach, right? You're just north of the District. Short cab ride down, though.

South Beach for a pre-teen? Like Vegas, I always think of South Beach as an adult playground. Not a lot there for kids, really, other than the beach. I usually steer families north to Ft. Lauderdale....
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I second the Lincoln Road Mall idea. The eateries tend to be on the pricy side, so walk around and look at menus. There are a couple of more basic Italian/pizza places that are good to have in your pocket for quick eats.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:07 AM

thanks for the correction rjw I must have been thinking of the Band !!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:14 AM

No problemo, italiano.

If you feel like doing one "splurge" meal, may I suggest Wish, in The Hotel (Collins and 8th)? I've raved about it in other posts, but it actually earns the hype and rave reviews it's gotten from the international food press. Exquisite, perfect food served in a completely relaxing atmosphere (most of the restaurant is on the outside patio beside The Hotel). Definitely not cheap; my SigO and I never got out of there for less than $180 (both of us, appetizer, entrée, dessert, wine and coffee). But it's SO worth it!!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We thought about whether to take our son to South Beach (area--understand the Palms is just north of SoBe), but he is pretty good about traveling. We frequent Cape Cod and go to Provincetown for dinner and he doesn't have any problems with a diverse crowd.

We chose the Palms because it was a bit off the "strip." Most of our time will be on the beach, pool, and just sightseeing.

Thanks again and keep the comments coming if you have 'em. I will be glad to follow up on the trip when we get back (Aug. 19-27)
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
sam

I'd love to see your trip report when you get back, especially about The Palms. We are going for 1 night (pre-cruise) in January, 2004, and haven't seen much in Fodor's about it. Also for those replying to MDLinDC, does anyone have any info. on the Outback Steakhouse @ the Holiday Inn SoBE? (sorry to horn-in on your post!) ;-)
Have a great time Matthew and family!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM

RE: Outback Steakhouse at Holiday Inn South Beach-- I have several Outbacks near where I live, so I have no real desire to seek one out on vacation. If you haven't eaten at one, the steaks are good (not superior quality of meat, but pretty high quality) if not outstanding (I find them a bit dry), with livelier spices than, say, a Sizzler hunk o' meat. You can do worse. But you can do far better.

I had a steak one night at Wish and-- well, just about the best steak I've ever had on the east coast. In fact, out east I'd have to reach back in my mind to Le Bifthèque or Chez la Mère Tucker in Montréal for comparable beef. Absolutely superb-- almost fork-tender NY strip, full of real beef flavor (it hadn't been cooked out of it).
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:46 AM

What I'm saying is-- Outbacks are pretty consistent in food quality and quantities. When I have been dragged to one here, the differences in size and shape and presentation of the food can be measured in millimeters; I doubt it will be different throughout the rest of the country.

I don't know of comparable local places at a similar price point in Miami Beach, but they must exist. Wish is MUCH more expensive.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:22 AM
sam

Thanks for the comments! My SO & I are staying @ The Palms and the other 13 people in our party are staying @ the Holiday Inn. Hence the reason I'm looking for a well known place that I know everyone will like and that the quality is constent, and we don't have to hire 4 cabs to get us there. If it were just the two of us I'd definitely not opt for a chain and take your wonderful suggestions!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:22 AM

If you are up for leaving Miami Beach, Tu Tu Tango in Coconut Grove is reasonably priced and one of my children's favorites. Tapas menu for adults; standard kids menu. The Grove is a fun place to be in the pm - take a ride on the rickshaws!
For a daytime beach event, check out
www.biscaynenaturecenter.org on Key Biscayne. The seagrass adventures are great.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM
GoTravel

The Outback Steakhouse at The Holiday Inn is just fine and it will do if you have a broad spectrum of picky eaters. We had the same situation a couple of years ago (16 people, different incomes, ages, and tastes) and it was a good choice for us.

I think the Holiday Inn is on 22nd and Collins.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I just got back 2 weeks ago and I second the Front Porch Cafe, and they Key Biscayne suggestion. Key Biscayne is a better beach for kids than South Beach IMHO. You can rent carts you peddle around in which is fun for kids for about $10. You can also check out as suggested News Cafe, although it is always crowded, Pizza Rustica on 9th & Washington, and there was a Chicken Kitchen (?) further up on Washington by 13th St I believe. I'll try to remember more if I can.....
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:40 AM

sam: Understood. And from your hotel, it's basically across the street, so it is handy.

It's just a shame that you couldn't get a more "Miami" experience on your one night out. For example, how about arranging a couple of vans to go to Café Versailles on Calle Ocho (Little Havana, in Miami itself)? That would be very special, and it's as "Miami" as you can get!