Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   4-Star New Orleans Hotel Choice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/4-star-new-orleans-hotel-choice-374028/)

Brian_in_Charlotte Nov 5th, 2003 05:54 AM

4-Star New Orleans Hotel Choice

We usually stay at a more "quaint" hotel in the Quarter, but thought we'd try something nicer for a change. We can get into any of the following for approximately the same price:

Iberville Suites
International House
Astor Crown Plaza
JW Marriott
Renaissance Pere Marquette

Any reasons why we should choose one over the others? Thanks in advance for your advice.

travlnut Nov 6th, 2003 05:39 PM

I'd have to choose the International House- Chic, boutique, eclectic--great bar, gorgeous lobby, pretty rooms, good deal on quikbook

GatorLadyUSA Nov 6th, 2003 10:13 PM

International House or JW Marriott, depending on your busget and the level/type of pampering you desire.

Kal Nov 7th, 2003 08:38 AM

Is the JW Marriott just the plain ol' Marriott on Canal right across the street from the Sheraton? If so, no great yips. Great view from the cocktail lounge at the top of the hotel.

We stayed at the Astor Crown last year. Very nice but still pretty generic hotel design. Great location. Bourbon/Canal.
We stopped by a few weeks ago to see how they finished the lobby area and were pleasantly suprised.

Plus, the Bourbon House restaurant is attached to the hotel for some excellent grub.

We had some friends stay at The Intl House and they really liked it. As mentioned by t'nut, the bar, Loa, is pretty nice too. We had to check it out last year. Quality control, you know.

Dan Nov 7th, 2003 08:44 AM

Hey Kal

The JW Marriott is the old Meridien. Changed name a few months ago.

Bourbon House really is a pretty restaurant, isn't it? I've only had brunch there (it was okay but no special) so I need to try it again.

Glad you had a good time. Again! :-)

markover Nov 7th, 2003 08:58 AM

international house hands down. They also have a great bar, and fab Thai restaurant

Kal Nov 7th, 2003 09:26 AM

Ahhhh...we used to have Sunday brunch at Le Meridian before the 49er/Saints games. Thx.

Our group had 4 fantastic dinners at Muriel's. I think the new Exec Chef was voted best of 2003 recently? Loved the building, too. Funky restrooms.

We will probably be back next year. But, since we missed our annual Aug. visit to Chicago for Cubs/Sox baseball, we may have to pick NOLA v. Chi-town.

All I know is I've met some great FFFs in both cities!((Y))
If we come to NOLA, I'll give you a holler if it's ok witchya.

Kal

GatorLadyUSA Nov 10th, 2003 09:31 PM

If you want a very special place to stay, try the Melrose Mansion. It is simply gorgeous! Their website is www.melrosegroup.com, and it has lots of photos and press reviews.

jannik Nov 10th, 2003 10:43 PM

hi.i did stay 4 nights at astor crown plaza in august,,and i did like it very much.the hotel is located at the corner of canal and bourbon street, so its an excelent location.the room was BIG, frendly and great staff, and the have a swimmingpool in 3rd floor with excelent wiew over bourbon street.i would have no problem of staying there again.

ejcrowe Nov 11th, 2003 03:31 PM

I just got back from a 3 night stay at Iberville Suites and was quite pleased. the lobby is lovely with a hint of swank, but not going overboard. Room size was good, as each room is a suite. Comes equipped with a wet bar, too. You can also use the fitness facilities at next door Ritz-Carlton. I also found the breakfast to be a good added value--they serve a full hot and cold breakfast in a buffet style.

We had almost gone with International House because we generally like staying in boutique hotels, but it has received some strong negative reviews lately, so we opted for Iberville.

Brian_in_Charlotte Nov 12th, 2003 06:09 AM

Thanks for all your help. Was leaning towards the International House, but then found a $67 rate at Iberville Suites that I just couldn't pass up. Thanks again.

Dan Nov 12th, 2003 06:12 AM

Brian, how did you get such a good rate. That's REALLY cheap. Great job!

Brian_in_Charlotte Nov 12th, 2003 06:57 AM

The key is to go on a very slow weekend (in this case the weekend before Xmas).

Used hoteldiscount.com

Could have even gotten the Ritz for $99 that weekend.