Reload this Page >

4 girlfriends - Vegas in Feb - Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:10 AM
steph

I've read the first 200 Vegas messages on the board and found some very good tips. Looking for more comments about our planned trip the last weekend in Feb. We are 4 college roommates all flying in from different cities.

1. We would like to stay at a nice hotel, and we would all like our own bed. Twin beds are fine. One room with 2 beds, a sofa and a rollaway is OK, too. Or we can book 2 rooms. What do you suggest? I read that the Venetian is all suites, is that a good choice? Do any of the nice hotels on the Strip happen to give Hilton/Marriott/Starwood points?

2. We are not looknig to gamble. Rather, we want to see the sights of The Strip, shop, eat good food (we are not "haute cuisine" types, but do like good food) and be pampered (e.g. pedicures, massages). Any suggestions along these lines are also appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Debi

Not sure what to recommend for hotels - you might want to call them directly and ask. The Venetian is really nice, and I think y'all would like it. As for points, there is a Marriott near the strip, but the hotels on the strip - for the most part - are not parts of chains.... As for pampering - I would recommend the spa at Caesers - they were really nice. At the Venetian, they were building a Canyon Ranch Spa - not sure if that is open yet, but that would probably be the best. I also had some "pampering" at the Mirage that was pretty nice. I think all the hotels are so competitive - I don't think you can go wrong..... You will have a great time!! I love Las Vegas (I'm also not a gambler) because it's so interesting. For restaurants, I love the Spago restaurant in the Forum shop area - but I think there are so many good ones, you can't go wrong..... Enjoy!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:11 AM
steph

Thanks for the spa recommendations, I will check out both Caesers and the Canyon Ranch.

Somewhere I heard that Paris & Bally's give Hilton points, although I can not find them on Hilton.com. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? And if so, I've read lots of good things about Paris, what about Bally's?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Jason

Question one: what's your budget?
That makes all the difference.
If you're able to stay at Venetian, don't bother looking at Bally's or Paris.
Venetian has the best standard rooms in LV, and they sleep 3 without a rollaway.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:18 AM
steph

Hi Jason,
We are aiming to spend $50/night per person or less on lodging. If we can get a suite at the Venetian w/4 beds (sofa beds and rollaways count!) for $200, it sounds like the way to go. From other posts about this hotel it sounds like I should call them directly for the best rate, correct?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:29 AM
steph

Well, I just called the Venetian and we definitely can't afford to stay there! The room rates for our nights (2/28 - 3/2) are $489/509/379. Wow, this must be SOME hotel. Am I crazy to think we can get a place for closer to $200? If so, I guess we will cancel Vegas and go somewhere else.
Thanks!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:45 AM
jen

As far as spas go, most spas require you to be a guest at their hotel to get a massage. So this might be a consideration in where you decide to stay. I believe the only hotel that allows non-guests to schedule massages is Mandalay Bay.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Jen

Also, most hotels on the strip will offer rooms with two queen beds. I know I stayed at the Paris last year with 2 girlfriends and is was great because there were so mirrors and outlets in the room. We could all get ready at the same time.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:00 AM
ny

steph:
Bally's is Fine. Right center on the strip and attached to Paris. Hilton, Paris, Bally's and MGM are part of Park Place Entertainment, not sure about the points.
Weekends are VERY expensive in Vegas. Check their website and Expedia and Travelocity for specials. Good Luck!!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:05 AM
nnn

Expedia has Bally's for $199.00 per night for a max of three people. How about a place off the Strip??

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:12 AM
KK

You can get a room for $100 or less per night ($200 for 2 rooms), but not if you need to stay in the fanciest place on the strip. The other problem is Fri/Sat are more expensive. Try hoteldiscounts.com for the dates you are looking at in Las Vegas - it will list all the available hotels and room prices (you can book through hoteldiscounts at that point, but also check the hotel itself - sometimes it is cheaper. But hoteldiscounts gives you a good view of the whole picture.) For more information on the hotels, try cheapovegas.com and a2zlasvegas.com, which review the properties. Basically, on a weekend, you will get some of the older strip hotels, downtown hotels, or off strip hotels for the price you are trying to get, although I have heard that prices may go down if you wait to book - 'incentives' for Feb will wait until hotels see how business is going; right now they are just trying to see what they can get at the going rate. Also, you can probably get a more upscale hotel if you all squeeze into one room - but then they are likely to charge you for extra people, and I don't know how well you'll all fit in most standard rooms, which is basically what most of the hotels seem to have. Riviera and Imperial Palace both have pretty cheap rooms, good locations, and spas. They are older, but both would fit your budget. Also, if there is an upscale spa you are really interested in, you could check about whether they only accept hotel guests.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Joe G.

Hey Steph,
Check out Luxor. It is very unusual but rooms are nicely appointed. We've booked rooms there with two double beds, great view for as little as $45/night. They also have a great spa and unbelievably good breakfast buffet with made to order omelettes, fresh fruit, etc, etc.
Joe G.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:00 AM
mike

Steph, unfortunately it appears you're trying to book during a major convention weekend. Rates in LV fluctuate dramatically at different times, all depending on demand.

If a hotel has 2/3 of its rooms sold for a convention or it knows that the city will be full (St. Patrick's, big basketball game, boxing match, etc) they jack the rates waaay up and make a killing because some people will pay whatever it takes.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Tracey

The Las Vegas Hilton is 1 block from the strip. Caesars Palace used to be part of Starwood and I think that you can still use points for staying but you will not earn points.

As far as spas go - they are all quite expensive, especially athe Canyon Ranch Spa at the Venetian. Caesars was the most reasonable, but still quite pricey.

Have a great time.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Susan

Steph, I think you should go to Calistoga in the Napa valley! You can fly into Oakland (closer than SF - both jetblue and southwest fly there) and rent a car and have an adventure. If you all like to drink wine and want to have the spa experience, that's my recommendation. There's not much nightlife in Calistoga, but when I've gone away with a bunch of girlfriends we're more interested in chatting and drinking with each other rather than a club scene. Just a suggestion.