Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 days in San Francisco area, Hotels/Food/Must see suggestions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 04:55 PM
Jennifer Bliden

My husband and I are traveling to San Francisco for 4 days iin January. We would like to spend time in San Francisco and Napa Valley. Any suggestions on what to see and where to stay or eat? How far of a drive is Napa Valley from San Francisco? Thanks for any advice.

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 09:03 PM
Dan

Jennifer - if you scroll down to the topic about Romantic locations in SF, you'll see the message I posted on 12/2/97. I tell everyone who's going to SF to stay away from the chain hotels and look for either a classic old hotel (St. Francis, etc.) OR stay in an B&B, and that The Archbishop's Mansion is a great city inn. I highly recommend it. It's a 10 minute drive from downtown but since you're also planning to go to the Napa Valley I assume you'll have a car. Downtown on Geary Street (I think - it's just up the street from Union Square) there's a place called the Grand Cafe which was great. As for the area, you can be in the lower Napa Valley in less than an hour but you need to set aside a whole day to take a leisurely drive throughout the valley. L'Auberge de Soleil is four stars for a great lunch.

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 09:33 PM
jj

Jennifer: I'll echo Dan's comments and refer you to the suggestions I made on SF elsewhere on the bulletin board. We enjoyed the Holiday Inn Union Square for its great service and central location. I'm a train buff and had a lot of fun riding the Wine Train in Napa Valley. Food and atmosphere are great, and wine tasting is available on board. Have fun!

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 06:52 AM
james

Jennifer: The other comments are great. I'd add: visit Wine Spectator's homepage, or contact them for a copy of their 10/15/96 edition -- all about San Fran. -- hotels, food, wine shops, etc. Also, look at the Access Guide for Calif. wine Country (Napa, Sonoma, etc.) -- very useful and easy to use for planning. Also, visit Yahoo -- and click on SF on their homepage -- numerous links to other SF sites, including links to wine country. By the way, the Ink House B&B in Napa valley is a great place to stay -- right on Hwy. 29 and close to many wineries. In SF, see Beach Blanket Babylon -- reserve in advance and don't miss it if you like Rock 'n Roll and satire -- trust me, a great evening. Get reserved seats. For restaurants, try Zak's or Zuni Cafe -- wow , there are so many good ones. Many magazines, such as Food & wine and Travel & Leasure, cover SF -- hit their websites for details on new restaurants. Look for moderate priced one and avoid the super expensive. Plumpkacks is supposed to be hot, and Yahoo gives you the top 40 from Zagat's. And whatever else you do, try to see the Japanese Gardens in Golden Gate Park -- wait for a foggy day. And drive through the park to the coast. wow, there's so much to do in SF. Walk Grant Ave. all the way through Chinatown. By the way, we're going to SF next July and will try the Archbishop's Mansion -- very highly recommended, as one of the other commenters to your posting said. Wish I had time to offer more suggestions, but you get the idea -- we love SF and find lots to do there. So, you have fun in SF, and one day leave a posting telling us what you found and liked.

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 07:17 AM
ram

You don't go to "see" SF; you go to experience SF. I've been told this by my friends there and seven trips later, still believe its the most desirable city to live/visit in the US. I'm going again in February (Valentine's Day) and thanks to Dan, have cancelled previous reservations to stay instead at- you guessed it- The Archbishop's Mansion. I've heard good things about the wine train, but you miss out on a lot of the smaller, "mom and pop" wineries which I love most about the region. I found Sonoma to be more down to earth and Napa more snooty (also Napa wineries are more likely to have tasting fees). For something different, check out Mumm's- sparkling wines. You would need a lifetime to check out all the great Bay area and wine country restaurants. The Flying Saucer, near the Mission District, is one of my favorites- nationwide!

Old Dec 21st, 1997, 07:46 AM
Tim Jamieson

great advice from everyone. after some wine tasting in the napa area you must go to calistoga for a mud bath and massage. I close my eyes and i am there, it helps me survive the clevland winter

Old Dec 24th, 1997, 03:29 PM
Scott

January should be OK weather-wise, but it can be cool and rainy. It's hard to recommend a place to stay, but if your budget allows, try Hotel Monaco. It's a very nice place, but it is $150 and up hotel. As far as places to eat, try as many as you can. I have enjoyed every meal I've had in San Francisco. Several to try would include Baker Street Bistro, with meals $10 and up. It's at 2953 Baker Street. Lulu is another option, same price range; it's at 816 Folsom Street near Fourth Street. Rose Pistola at 532 Columbus Ave near Union Street is also worth trying. Asian food is one of SF's strengths. Want to try Tibetian food? A good place is Lhasa Moon, at 2420 Lombard Street. Prices are $7.50 and up. As far as Napa is concerned, the wineries are grouped around highways 12 and 29. A good restaurant is Mustards Grill, at 7399 St. Helena highway (highway 29). Prices are $12 and up. As noted above, try some of the small wineries. The care that goes into their wines can result in some great wines. Enjoy!

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 08:55 PM
Nora

Jennifer:
A wonderful restaurant in the heart of the city is Kuletto's. Great food and nice atmosphere. It can be a bit crowded, so plan on making reservations ahead of time. Also, if you love garlic, The Stinking Rose in Little Italy is a fantastic choice. Enjoy!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 10:00 AM
jen

A. Sabella's at the wharf is a great restaurant - seafood dishes. especially. Walking by the wharf is fun - you have to get the clam chowder in the sourdough bread bowl! Down by Pier 39 is the Center Stage (jugglers, magicians) and little shops, nearby you can see the lounging seals. It's all a bit touristy - but hey - you're a tourist! Alcatraz is a blast and is inexpensive. Rent "Escape from Alcatraz" before you go!