4 Days in Kauai what to see and do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Kauai for the 1st time. We will be there for 4 nights and basically 3 1/2 days so 3 full days to explore the island. We land at 4 PM after a long day of traveling from the east coast so the 1st night hopefully we can grab something at the hotel. we are staying at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. We want to explore the island so looking for suggestion's my thoughts are Waiemea Canyon 1 day, Na Pali coast by a boat tour, and then what else. Also if you have suggestions on restaurants and little out of the way places we should see please let us know. Our flight to Oahu is not until 3 PM so we will have the morning to just lay aound and enjoy the Marriott before a whole week on the North shore of Oahu. We will be staying at the Turtle bay resort there. So if you have suggestion on what there is to do on the North Shore that would be great as well. We do have a few things planned but open to more suggestions and restaurant for the north shore thanks

Dave
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 06:09 PM

Try to get to the north shore it is beautiful. Do you plan to swim/snorklel?
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes we thought we could do that for a couple of times. One if when we go up to north shore and the other on the Capt something boat tour along the NaPali coast. Any recommendations on awesome sights, beaches, snorkeling spots and restaurants?

Thanks

Dave
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 01:01 PM

When is your trip? If during summer, late spring or early fall, try snorkeling at Ke'e or Tunnels (get there early, parking is very limited) or maybe Anini Beach. I've stayed many times at that Marriott and used to own a timeshare there until 2 years ago. Duke's has good seafood and for non seafood eaters good steaks or prime rib and the best salad bar on the island. I also like Casa de Amici down in Poipu for Italian (not beachfront), good wine list also.
When you go to Waimea Canyon, don't overlook Koke'e State Park, in fact go there first and visit the two Kalalau lookouts, then work your way down to the Canyon.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 06:48 PM

I was there in February for a week. You can read my in-progress trip report here on Fodor's or on my blog: http://sulynnchen.com/travelblog/?page_id=1285

It's pretty detailed and will give you an idea of what we did day-to-day. It was our 2nd trip to Kauai. Our first trip we did a helicoptor tour on Blue Hawaiian and we got to see the amazing Napali coast and Waimea canyon. We also visited Waimea Canyon on foot. I highly recommend a helicoptor tour, it's expensive but worth every penny and in an hour you get to see most of the island's beauty!

If you like farm-to-table dinners you can make a reservation at Kauai Ono for their twice weekly dinners. Otherwise, on the North Shore we like The Dolphin, Bar Acuda, and we stopped at Kilauea Fish market for poke. Hamura's Saimin is a Kauai institution in Lihue. There are plenty of places to eat. Are you looking for fine dining or more casual options?

We stayed at Turtle Bay 2 years ago. It was great! It's probably even better now post-renovation. Here's our trip report from that vacation: http://sulynnchen.com/travelblog/?page_id=299
Our North shore stay started from Day 7 onwards (we stayed in Waikiki for a week prior). Oahu has more food options than Kauai but I feel like the area around Turtle Bay is a little lacking especially for dinner...you have to drive to Haleiwa for restaurants and such, which can take about 35-40 minutes. Haleiwa has really geat Thai food at Opal Thai (reservations a must). However during the day we loved all the food trucks around the north shore, especially Romy's shrimp!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

WOW> This is all good thank you so much. I think we will be set for both spots just from your reports. Un fortunately my wife will not get into a helicopter so we will have to see the coast from a boat and the canyon by foot. But maybe on another trip with my son someday he would get into a helicopter. We leave May 8th so it is less than 2 weeks. I will let you know how it went. My son and I are planning a trip to southwestern CO Colorado Springs to Durango with many adventure hope to be had along the way. Been There?
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Would your wife consider a fixed wing plane? Wings Over Kauai gets good reviews and is a bit cheaper than a heli as well and has a good safety record. I plan on taking them my next trip to Kauai. But the boat tours are always good, have taken a lot of them.
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

She is going to be hard enough walking through the canyons. When we were in San Francisco last summer we had to leave her at the end of the bride she finally came out a little ways . But was scared to walk across the bridge it was a foggy cold day anyway so none of us walked across we went to Salsilido for luch and the sun came out.
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 04:18 AM

Downedl - nope never been to Colorado springs or to Durango. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Capt'n Andy's is the tour you are thinking about. Have taken it several times. Very fun. There is a great hike/walk just past the Grand Hyatt in Kauai ...Maha'ulepu trail. Wonderful views, interesting rock formations and not too difficult. Highly recommend it.