Luxor, a suitable sub for a Westin?

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxor, a suitable sub for a Westin?

I have/had a priceline reservation for the new Westin Causarina LV for late Sept. Bid $60, plus tax and P/L fee, i have about $71 committed. Was very much looking forward to a brand new Westin with the Heavenly Bed and Bath etc.
Now the Westin has moved their opening date into October and priceline has switched me to Luxor. Does this sound like a good thing? I believe I can get a refund and then book someplace else on my own, but I do want to stay "close" to the airport as this is the last night of our stay in LV and we leave the next AM at 7:15 from LAS.

Any thoughts?

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:24 AM

luxor is a very nice, underrated hotel at the south end of the lv strip. it has a nice pool as well. if you want to see a review of it, check out cheapovegas.com. end sept is an expensive week in lv. prob because of a convention or 2 taking up rooms. so if you can get luxor for that amt i'd say go for it. luxor is the second closest strip hotel to the airport.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:23 AM

flopmeister is right. Luxor is a good property. It ain't the Ritz-Carlton, and the faux-Egyptian theme may get silly after a while, but hey it's Vegas!!

Luxor is indeed close to McCarran (I recall seeing the pyramid on approach), but the whole Strip is close to the airport. You'll be fine.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:44 AM

I've stayed at the Luxor twice and thought the rooms were very nice. Particularly the room we got the first time ... main floor but overtop of the underground parking drive-in. Sounds weird but somehow I really liked it. Nice and quiet. The main lobby area is quite classy looking I think. Plus there's a walkway through to the Excaliber where you can pick up a Krispy Kreme (if, of course, that's your thing) ...

Re the pool ... kinda wide open and sparse but on the other hand feels like lots of room and when I was there not too kid intensive ... "not that there's anything wrong with that".
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:28 PM

We stayed at the Luxor and could actually see the planes at the airport from our window. Because of construction, we had to go around to get to the airport but it was a very short trip. The good thing about having an early morning flight is the low volume of traffic. We left the hotel at 6:10 for a 7:30 flight and had no problems, but we didn't have much time to spare either. I would probably leave a little sooner now because of the increased security. The Luxor is very nice, but probably not quite as nice as the Westin. We were in the pyrimid. The tower rooms may be a little newer and thus nicer.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 08:05 PM

The only negative is that the Luxor is not as centrally located as the Westin would have been. Most strip hotels are only a few minutes to the airport.