Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   4 day drive up the california coast - which points to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/4-day-drive-up-the-california-coast-which-points-to-stay-696848/)

newtousmama Apr 14th, 2007 02:22 PM

4 day drive up the california coast - which points to stay?

I am travelling with my husband and baby from Palm Springs to Pleasanton for a wedding in mid May. We'd like to make a trip out of the drive up the coast LA-S.F.
Which spots woudl you recommend we stay over at if we have 3 or 4 nights to spend?

xkenx Apr 14th, 2007 04:47 PM

Lots of possibilities, assuming you want the scenic coast. First day take 101 to San Luis Obispo, cut off to rte 1 to Cambria and stay across from the ocean on Moonstone Dr. Next day drive up the spectacualr Big Sur Highway (rte 1) to Carmel and stay there 2-3 nites, checking out the quaint and charming Carmel and the Monterey Peninsula. Then head to S.F.

bookhall Apr 14th, 2007 07:12 PM

Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, and the Monterey area.

trippinkpj Apr 14th, 2007 08:52 PM

I like the more paced/ evenly paced suggestion of Bookhall. If you have a 4th night you could stay in Half Moon Bay or San Francisco.

tovarich Apr 15th, 2007 02:17 AM

Santa Barbara?Paul

J_Correa Apr 15th, 2007 01:08 PM

I like bookhall's suggestion too. I think it would break the trip up into fairly even days and allow you to see a good bit.

For the Morro Bay night, I think Morro Bay or Cambria would be good - I really like the Moonstone Beach area of Cambria. There is a row of small hotels on one side of the street and the ocean on the other - good for stolls at sunset :) Morro Bay has a nice waterfront with some tourist shops and restaurants along the harbor and then a nice walking path along the bay.

don512 Apr 15th, 2007 04:27 PM

Santa Barbara and Carmel/Monterey are both great stops. There are also plenty of places to stay along Big Sur (love the ocean) and Pismo Beach is a pretty nice "beach town".

newtousmama Apr 15th, 2007 06:25 PM

Thanks to all of you for some great advice. You are awesome!

kimamom Apr 17th, 2007 07:41 AM

Cambria would be a nice choice. /We have enjoyed stays at the Blue Whale Inn, Fireside Inn and Cypress Cove Inn, all on Moonstone Drive. There is a nice downtown area with boutiques and art galleries. The Seekers Glass Gallery is fun, and there is Fermentations for wine tasting. :)

If you like tea, the Tea Cozy is very quaint and serves good food. Linn's for ollallieberry goodies is always fun in Cambria. ***kim*** ((f))

TrvlMaven Apr 17th, 2007 07:52 AM

Question--how old is the baby, and have baby been to the beach before? If not--I would recommend a stop in Pismo (Sea Gypsy is right on the beach) for some sand time. Wonderful, walkable (possibly with a stroller) beach.

kimamom Apr 17th, 2007 08:18 AM

Moonstone Beach also has very nice wooden walking paths that run along the ocean. ***kim*** ((*))