Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   30th Anniversary Hotel Key West (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/30th-anniversary-hotel-key-west-1133229/)

bennnie Sep 29th, 2016 06:41 AM

30th Anniversary Hotel Key West

Would love to hear suggestions for a hotel in Key West to spend 30th anniversary in Feb. Budget is around $450-650 per night. Would like romantic, waterfront, walking distance to Duval St action but still relatively quiet. Previous stay was at Casa Marina, which we loved but the room wasn't my definition of romantic and it was a bit too far from action.

Suggestions for an anniversary dinner would be welcome also.

Dukey1 Sep 29th, 2016 08:01 AM

I was going to suggest, PERHAPS, somewhere such as the Pier House <B>but</B> your definition of "romantic" and whatever that means gives me pause.

The other thing which makes me hesitate is the amount of noise that can come from being at the bottom of Duval Street.

I am sure you will find somewhere wonderful, however, and congratulations on your anniversary, too

sf7307 Sep 29th, 2016 08:20 AM

It may be too far from the action for you, but dinner at Latitudes was special - take a ferry to get there, beautiful sunset from the patio, excellent food.

bennnie Sep 29th, 2016 12:39 PM

Dukey - thank you. Pier House made my original list but I was concerned with the noise with it being close to the bottom of Duval Street.

sf7307 - thank you for reminding me of Latitudes. Great suggestion.

Anybody have comments on La Mer House at the Southernmost Resort?

nanabee Oct 2nd, 2016 05:03 AM

There is a wonderful writer named Lucy Burdett (real name Roberta Iselib) who writes a detective series. As you read you feel like you are on the ground walking and scootering around the island.

The main character is a food critic and one of the places she highlighted in her last book was a food cart called Garbo's Grill.

Then last night I was watching Guy Fieri's Diner's, Drive-Ins, & Dives. Garbo's Grill was one of the restaurants they visited. The line to order is around the block. The food looks fantastic.

garyt22 Oct 2nd, 2016 10:14 AM

The Gardens Hotel and Marquesa House are two of the Best hotels in Key West because they are romantic and Away from the water... And all the craziness...

Just a few blocks away from Duval and full of charm, you can easily take a sunset sail, or dine outside... Believe me, the true charm of key west is in these hotels....

EYWandBTV Oct 2nd, 2016 02:17 PM

Another big vote for The Gardens Hotel. Double room in Feb from about $480 to $550. But you better move quickly, whatever hotel you choose, because February is the peak month for visitors in Key West. Much of February for The Gardens, for example, is already fully booked, per their web site. Have a splendid anniversary!

bennnie Oct 4th, 2016 05:47 AM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and well wishes. Waterfront is very important to us so I don't think the Gardens or Marquesa are for us. Decided on sticking with the Casa Marina - booked an oceanfront room - nothing more romantic than watching the ocean from your balcony. Got it for a relatively good rate.