30 Days in the Great Southwest

May 15th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

30 Days in the Great Southwest

Mi esposa and I are on trip through Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico for 30 days. 35 years ago we spent 2 years driving around the US but never spent much time here other than in Phoenix, so here we go.

First week in Sedona - Had an almost 9 hour drive from LA to Sedona, left on Mother’s Day so the roads were pretty quiet. Took the back route, I10 to Quartzsite turning on 60 to 71 at Aguila, picked up 89 at Congress. This stretch off road is in good shape, 2 lane with very few services. It seemed like if you took all the people in these towns, you might be able to assemble a football team! No offense if you live there.

Drive from Congress to Sedona is very scenic as you go through 2 or 3 National Forests. Arrived later than we thought we would into Sedona so quiet night. At first I was less enthralled with Sedona than I thought I would be, yes there amazing rocks but they are all behind endless strip malls. May feel different tomorrow.
May 15th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

So, we’ve done 3 days in Sedona now and I definitely feel the vibe. The key is to get off the strip and in to the Canyons. Get past the endless psychics, gem shops and healers, and that’s where the magic is. We’ve visited places around the area, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Montezuma Castle and Well. The Well is actually pretty interesting and worth a visit. Have taken 3 hikes, Boynton Pass, Fay Canyon and Airport Mesa. Two Vortexes but didn’t feel anything other than very light headed from hiking! Sedona is great, however it feels a little “senior citizen”. Music starts at 5 or 6 PM until 8PM. Lot’s of restaurants, great walks, it’s fun. Tomorrow Jerome.
May 16th, 2019, 04:56 AM

Nice start to your TR. I agree that the downtown part of Sedona detracts from the beauty of the area. Keep it up and have a fantastic trip.
May 16th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Up at 7:30AM To bike to Devil’s Bridge. Beautiful morning at the trailhead before 8. My advice go past the dirt road, 152, go to the first T on Dry Canyon and go right on Long Canyon Rd and stop at the Mescal Tr parking lot, then follow the trail to Devil’s Bridge. It took me an hour to get to the bridge, but I ‘m not the fastest hiker. Once there it was great, people walk out on the bridge, other people take photos. People giving strangers their phone with no fear. It’s a nice scene.

This afternoon, we went to Tzuigoot and the Jerome State Historic Park. Both are interesting. Dinner tonite at Sound Bite Grill. Read many reviews of this place but our experience was very good. Great Music, good food.

Tomorrow on to Flagstaff. Summing up Sedona, going from what’s the fuss, to this place is great didn’t take long. One funny thing, apparently, a traveling “roundabout” salesman showed up one day and sold the area on Round about s. They are everywhere. I guess they slow people down but people already drive like snails. All that peace and quiet up here!
May 19th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

On to Flagstaff on 89A, a very scenic route. We stopped at Slide Rock Park but it’s a $20 entry fee and we didn’t think we would stay that long. Next Time! So, we got into Flagstaff early and stopped at the Riordan Mansion. This is a very worthwhile stop. It is a very interesting story about the Riordan, early businessmen in the city and the mansion is in great shape. Went to the Orpheum Theater for a concert. This is a great venue for a show.

2nd day we visited Walnut Canyon National Monument. This is the 4th National something we have visited . It’s great to be old with a lifetime senior pass! At night we went to Buffalo Park for a walk with the Dark Skies Coalition. Flagstaff is the leader in the Dark Skies movement.

Trying to get as much in as we can, rain is on the way!

May 23rd, 2019, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

We’ve spent a week in Flagstaff and it’s been very enjoyable. I don’t think you could spend a whole week here but it’s a great jump off spot for a number of really cool things. First of all it snowed, once about midway through the week and today we got about three inches. It’s the end of May folks, what is going on? Apparently not unusual in Flagstaff for snows in May.

Visited the Grand Canyon, entering from the east side. Not a lot of people or sunshine for that matter, but it get’s more crowded as you head West. My advice, consider driving past the Visitor Center and park at the Yavaipa Point and Geology Museum parking, then take the shuttles around the park. We found plenty of parking there. I don’t need to go on about the Grand Canyon, it’s everything you heard.

Yesterday I drove through the Wupatki and Sunset Crater NM. IMHO, this is vastly over looked. My guide book gives it less than a full paragraph and it is incredible. You can get so close to the ruins and when I went it was empty. I had the Wukoki Pueblo completely to myself. Also Sunst Crater has lots of great hikes.