Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   3 weeks: SLC - Glacier - Yellowstone - Grand Teton - Arches/Canyonlands - SLC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/3-weeks-slc-glacier-yellowstone-grand-teton-arches-canyonlands-slc-1665992/)

Linus1987 Apr 16th, 2019 08:01 AM

3 weeks: SLC - Glacier - Yellowstone - Grand Teton - Arches/Canyonlands - SLC

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are currently planning a 3 week road trip this year. We like to go for easy/moderate hikes and shopping and great food. Unfortunately I understand that the northwest US does not really have much shopping (outlet malls), which is fine. My itinerary is as shown below, would appreciate advice if it's doable :) Thanks!

10 Sep: Singapore - LAX - SLC (10+ pm)

11 Sep: SLC

12 Sep: SLC - Craters of the Moon - Salmon

13 Sep: Salmon - West Glacier

14 Sep: West Glacier

15 Sep: West Glacier - St Mary/Babb (GTTSR, a little of highland trail)

16 Sep: St Mary/Babb (Many Glacier)

17 Sep: St Mary - East Glacier Park Village (Two Medicine)

18 Sep: East Glacier Park Village - Gardiner

19 Sep: Gardiner (Yellowstone - Lamar Valley, Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces, Hike
Mount Washburn Trail, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone)

20 Sep: Gardiner - West Yellowstone (Hayden Valley, Yellowstone Lake, Hike Storm Point)

21 Sep: West Yellowstone (Norris Geyser Basin, Grand Prismatic Spring, Fairy Falls, Old Faithful Geyser)

22 Sep: West Yellowstone - Jackson (Grand Teton)

23 Sep: Jackson (Grand Teton)

24 Sep: Jackson - Flaming Gorge - Vernal

25 Sep: Vernal - Dinosaur National Monument - Moab

26 Sep: Moab (Arches)

27 Sep: Moab (Arches + Canyonlands)

28 Sep: Moab - SLC (Flight out to LAX at 4pm)

29 Sep: LAX to Singapore

tomfuller Apr 16th, 2019 10:19 AM

Logisticly it might work out better to fly into Portland or Seattle instead of LAX. You don;t really want to drive a car out of LAX while you are jet lagged. It is an easier drive from Portland or Seattle to Craters of the Moon or West Yellowstone than from SLC IMO. To reduce jet lag, you might want to fly to Hawaii and spend a day there before going to the west coast of the US.
There is an Amtrak train (Empire Builder) that leaves both Portland and Seattle that joins in Spokane every night that arrives in Whitefish MT in the morning. I rode it from Portland earlier this month.

kureiff Apr 16th, 2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by tomfuller (Post 16905232)
You don;t really want to drive a car out of LAX while you are jet lagged.

I'd guess there is no driving. The flight is from Singapore to LAX and then to SLC.

Patty Apr 16th, 2019 12:58 PM

It is an easier drive from Portland or Seattle to Craters of the Moon or West Yellowstone than from SLC IMO.

How so? SLC is much closer plus OP ends up in Moab.

Itinerary is a little fast paced but otherwise looks OK. Be aware that early snow could cause temporary road closures at that time of year so be flexible and have back up plans. Buy bear spray for your hikes at Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons and familiarize yourself with how to use it. What are your plans while in SLC? You might enjoy a visit to Antelope Island unless you need that day to shop ;) At Flaming Gorge, try to include the Sheep Creek Geological Loop. It's a pretty drive and we saw deer, big horn sheep and even a moose! Take Hwy 128 into Moab. It's a scenic drive along the river gorge.

There's not much to eat in St Mary/Babb. The Cattle Barron Supper Club has huge portions so you could easily share. In Gardiner we liked the Wonderland Cafe on our visit last fall. In Jackson we like Bin22, Gather and Persephone Bakery. Food inside the parks is mostly mediocre so just eat wherever is convenient. The exception is Peaks Restaurant at Signal Mountain Lodge in the Tetons. Vernal Brewing was decent. We liked Moab Kitchen, a food truck with indoor and outdoor seating, and Moab Garage. We ate at several other places in Moab but unfortunately none stood out.

Linus1987 Apr 16th, 2019 11:09 PM

Logisticly it might work out better to fly into Portland or Seattle instead of LAX. You don;t really want to drive a car out of LAX while you are jet lagged. It is an easier drive from Portland or Seattle to Craters of the Moon or West Yellowstone than from SLC IMO. To reduce jet lag, you might want to fly to Hawaii and spend a day there before going to the west coast of the US.
There is an Amtrak train (Empire Builder) that leaves both Portland and Seattle that joins in Spokane every night that arrives in Whitefish MT in the morning. I rode it from Portland earlier this month.

Originally Posted by kureiff (Post 16905238)
I'd guess there is no driving. The flight is from Singapore to LAX and then to SLC.

What kureiff said is right. I am flying from LAX to SLC, not driving. Apologies that I did not state that clearly!

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 16905305)
How so? SLC is much closer plus OP ends up in Moab.

Itinerary is a little fast paced but otherwise looks OK. Be aware that early snow could cause temporary road closures at that time of year so be flexible and have back up plans. Buy bear spray for your hikes at Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons and familiarize yourself with how to use it. What are your plans while in SLC? You might enjoy a visit to Antelope Island unless you need that day to shop ;) At Flaming Gorge, try to include the Sheep Creek Geological Loop. It's a pretty drive and we saw deer, big horn sheep and even a moose! Take Hwy 128 into Moab. It's a scenic drive along the river gorge.

There's not much to eat in St Mary/Babb. The Cattle Barron Supper Club has huge portions so you could easily share. In Gardiner we liked the Wonderland Cafe on our visit last fall. In Jackson we like Bin22, Gather and Persephone Bakery. Food inside the parks is mostly mediocre so just eat wherever is convenient. The exception is Peaks Restaurant at Signal Mountain Lodge in the Tetons. Vernal Brewing was decent. We liked Moab Kitchen, a food truck with indoor and outdoor seating, and Moab Garage. We ate at several other places in Moab but unfortunately none stood out.

Thanks for all the tips! I don't have much concrete plans right now for SLC, but probably shopping and getting groceries for the road trip is a priority.

Is it a must to get a bear spray, or are there other ways to get it other than buying? I noted that the price is pretty expensive (>$25) and they aren't allowed on both carry-on and checked-in bags, which means I'll need to throw them at the end of the trip.

Also, is the drive from Moab back to SLC an easy drive? I understand its about 4 hours. Instead of driving on the 28th Sep to catch my flight to LAX (at 4pm), I'm thinking if it will be better to drive the night before and perhaps stay at a SLC airport hotel instead.

sludick Apr 17th, 2019 04:26 AM

>>Is it a must to get a bear spray, or are there other ways to get it other than buying? I noted that the price is pretty expensive (>$25) and they aren't allowed on both carry-on and checked-in bags, which means I'll need to throw them at the end of the trip.<<

When you get to Glacier, look into renting bear spray. The $25 range you mentioned is more in the line of rental than buying, by the way. Here is one company: https://www.goglacieroutfitters.com/...-spray-rental/ Contact them before your trip to be sure that your dates are still open - for Yellowstone, the bear spray rental may have already shut down for the season.

I see online prices for bear spray are much lower than we have always paid once we arrive at Yellowstone - $30-55 online. But you're right, you don't want to pack it in your luggage. Considering how many days you will want to carry it on hikes, though, I would suggest you do buy some. Check at a Walmart or similar store before you leave SLC, where you will get the best price. When you leave Jackson, gift it to either a park ranger or a local (yes, you'll see many people wearing holsters of bear spray on their hips if they are outside town).

Patty Apr 17th, 2019 07:38 AM

For two weeks it may be more cost effective to buy vs rent. Cabelas carries it and you'll probably pass some along the way https://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp The closer you get to grizzly country, the easier it is to find at most sporting goods stores, Walmarts, etc. Walmart is likely the least expensive. Also do not hike alone and make noise while hiking https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/bears.htm