Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   3 Questions - 5 Night Utah Ski Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/3-questions-5-night-utah-ski-vacation-156423/)

Fran Jan 9th, 2003 10:58 PM

3 Questions - 5 Night Utah Ski Vacation

We are looking to book a trip to Park City in February or March. Looking for convenient lodging, preferably ski in/out since I like to cut the ski day short while my husband stays on the slopes. He is advanced while I am more of a wimp. I've skiied Banff, Whistler and Taos, but still like to stay on the blues. First question is for a 5 day trip, should we plan to ski a combination of places, and are there combination lift tickets available? Second, any opinions on packages vs. booking flight/hotels separate? Finally, any lodging advice?<BR><BR>Thanks very much. Can't wait to get there!!

try this Jan 10th, 2003 09:05 AM

I am referring you to my cousin who works at Deer Valley Lodging in Park City. They handle ski in/out lodging and also I beleive travel to and from. Ask for Brenda. 800-453-3833. Please tell her that her cousin sent you!

Barbara Jan 10th, 2003 10:47 AM

We were just in Park City for 5 nights, skied 4 days -- stayed on Main Street but skiied in Deer Valley and the Canyons. Skied mostly blues, 3 days in Deer Valley, one day in Canyons -- no combination lift tix available, but it was holiday time so don't know if that was the issue. Deer Valley is a good bet for ski in /out. If you want to do Park City Resort, you can stay near the town lift and take that up to the resort lift, so its also sort of ski in/out

Jilly Jan 10th, 2003 11:06 AM

We have used Deer Valley Lodging for the past five years. Beautiful accomodations and I think the service is the best part. We stay at sky in/out lodges.

Jilly Jan 10th, 2003 11:09 AM

I meant ski, not sky!

Barbara Jan 10th, 2003 01:54 PM

We were just in Park City for 5 nights, skied 4 days -- stayed on Main Street but skiied in Deer Valley and the Canyons. Skied mostly blues, 3 days in Deer Valley, one day in Canyons -- no combination lift tix available, but it was holiday time so don't know if that was the issue. Deer Valley is a good bet for ski in /out. If you want to do Park City Resort, you can stay near the town lift and take that up to the resort lift, so its also sort of ski in/out

Mina Jan 10th, 2003 04:27 PM

Hello Fran!<BR><BR>Park City and Deer Valley are great for blue skiers, especially Deer Valley as they are known for their grooming. I don't remember if there are combo lift tickets, but there are multi day passes saving money at one resort. I always just buy as I go.<BR><BR>Based on what you are saying, I would recommend two places to stay: either at the base of Park City Mountain Resort or Main Street. Main street has the town lift, as Barbara mentioned, and is convenient. If you left the slopes early, you would have all kinds of shopping, even a day spa, at your doorstep. The town lift is located at the bottom of main street, so if you stay up on the top, you'll either have to walk down, or catch the cable car that goes up and down.<BR><BR>At the bottom of Park City Mountain resort are several properties. Shadow Ridge and Silver King come to mind. Neither are cheap (I think Silver King is quite a bit more expensive). You'll find lots of lodging there. There are some restaurants and shops at the resort, and all the free buses stop at PCMR making it convenient to get anywhere in town.<BR><BR>Deer Valley is a very posh place to stay, but not as convenient for apres ski, in my opinion. Of course, I've always been too poor to stay there, so what do I know?<BR><BR>As for packages/a la carte...I would see what kind of deals you can get on the airline first. Southwest and Delta often have packages, but I don't think their lodging is always the greatest. If you're not looking for luxury, certainly check it out. I don't know where you're flying in from, but it is pretty easy to get great fares to SLC, which is why I always book my trips on my own.<BR><BR>Once at SLC airport, you can take shuttles up. Make reservations. All Resort Express and Park City Transportation (not sure exactly the name of the second) are two options. I never bother renting a car.

Dayle Jan 11th, 2003 01:54 PM

Hi Fran!<BR><BR>Advice above is very good. Deer Valley is lovely, but it is very expensive as far as lodging goes.<BR><BR>The three Park City area mountians did have an interchangeable lift pass for visitors that started a coupple years ago. I don't know if they still do since I live here &amp; if doesn't apply for me.. Call one of the mountains, or check their web sites. I think it was called the Silver Pass, good for multiple days, 3 out of 4, 5 out of 6, so you can take a day off if needed.