Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

3 nites in Vegas: What about renting a boat at Lake Mead?

Jul 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

We are headed to Vegas in last August. We are planning on renting a boat for $210/day on Saturday and doing whatever boaters do at Lake Mead. The couple that we are meeting there has this idea and we're up to it, but just was looking for suggestions on whether this is a good use of our limited time in the Vegas area and, if so, what is there to do there besides floating around. I do plan on visiting Hoover Dam. Thanks.
Jul 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM

If you want to visit LV, then this isn't a very realistic alternative because it's a long drive back to LV from there, and the real advantage of being on a boat is NOT being by the marina but rather being out on the lake. Stay in a Lake Las Vegas hotel and be about half an hour from the Strip and still have a nice resort experience.
Jul 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I have a boat here and will probably go to the lake Saturday as well. The boat you will rent will be very basic and I don't believe they even have bimini tops (shade).

The lake is a great place to play on water toys and ski, but since you won't have those, you'll be limited to getting wet and gettting back on the boat.

Personally, without my own boat and water toys, I would scrap this plan. If you insist on going, rent the boat for 1/2 day if possible and plan to be out there very, very early. It will be very hot out there. After a couple of hours, you'll probably want to get off the lake.

I will be out there by 7am and off the lake by 11am. Others stay later, but I just don't enjoy the heat that much.
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM

For anyone following this thread:

I was at the lake yesterday and saw the boats for rent at the Lake Mead Marina. They do have bimini tops, but they are small and would probably only provide cover for the driver and one other person sitting adjacent, depending on which way the boat was facing and the location of the sun in the sky.

I hope the original poster tells us whether they decided to rent the boat as planned and how their day was. The lake was pretty rough yesterday, so I'd be curious to know how it went.
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Here's our belated review of our time on Lake Mead.

We actually what would be a party barge, I suppose. It was relatively slow, but spacious (could probably hold eight people) and had a roof that was necessary in the sun and heat.

The water was beautiful. We boated straight to the water side of Hoover, then found a couple of coves where we floated on cheap inflatable rafts that we brought.

There really wasn't a lot to do, but the scenery was outstanding for us flat-landers from Louisiana. Nice to hang out with the other couple with us and enjoy cocktails while boating around this beautiful place. It did get cloudy and overcast later in the day and things were quite as lovely as when it was sunny...so I recommend a sunny day if your skin can take it.

About three hours (which is what we did) is enough of a break from the hectic pace in Vegas.

Also, the drive down to the lake from the point when you first see it is outstanding.