3 nights in Vermont and New Hampshire

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Amanda

3 nights in Vermont and New Hampshire

As part of our New England trip, we are planning to stay 3 nights in Vermont/New Hampshire. I would like to stay in the same place and explore with day trips. Any suggestions? We're more hotel people than B&B.

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:04 PM
LL

Similar post just submitted about September in VT. Be sure to check there, too, as responses may only make it to one of the two.

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Beth

I'd suggest the Woodstock Inn. It is beautiful! That would be convenient to tour the Billings Farm & Museum in Woodstock and Simon Pierce Glass in Quechee. Crossing over into New Hampshire, I'd recommend touring the Warner Indian Museum and the beautiful St. Gaudens in Hanover. Good luck and have a great trip!

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Mel

We're big fans of Vermont! We used to always go to Stowe because it's a lovely town known for skiing in winter, but a bargain in summer! The Von Trapp family lodge always runs great deals (can't remember the e-mail address, but a search will bring it up quickly). The Woodstock Inn is also wonderful and the outlets there are, IMO, far better than Freeport, Maine and arranged to look like a neighborhood of lovely homes, with each store in a home. In Vermont, you can stay almost anyplace and day-trip throughout the entire state. Dooney & Burke, Donna Karan, Timberlane, etc. We did B&B in New Hampshire.

Old May 29th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Donna F

If you stayed in the Hanover NH area you would be right on the NH/VT border. Burlington VT would be about 2 hours up Rt 89. You would be about an hour from Concord NH and the Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner NH. Another place to visit would be Shaker Village in Canterbury NH. From Hanover it would be a little more than 2 hours to Portsmouth which is on the ocean. If you like antiquing, it would be a slow ride along Rt 4 to Portsmouth as there are a lot of antique shops in Northwood NH. If you like to cook, King Arthur Flour has a wonderful shop not too far from Hanover. Hanover is home to Dartmouth College so there are a lot of hotels in the area of varying prices.

Old May 29th, 2001, 10:36 AM
EdC

One of my favorite towns in Vermont is Woodstock. There's a pretty large hotel, the Woodstock Inn, which I believe used to be owned by the Rockefellers. Woodstock is very New England looking. A few miles away is Simon Pierce, a shop and restaurant. Simon Pierce is a glass/pottery maker (very upscale) and is housed in an old watermill over a waterfall. There is a good restaurant on the premises (also overlooking the falls) and you can see the artisans blowing glass or maing pottery, etc. in the building. I recommend it.