Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   3 nights in MV to restore sanity...what are the "must do's"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/3-nights-in-mv-to-restore-sanity-what-are-the-must-dos-230257/)

Wendy Jun 11th, 2002 04:02 PM

3 nights in MV to restore sanity...what are the "must do's"?

My husband and I are celebrating our ten year anniversary in Martha's Vineyard, (and escaping from our 3 little boys), in July. Unfortunately, the babysitters are not willing to give us a lot of their time, so we will be there mid-week, (arrive on Tuesday, leave on Friday). We have reserved a room at the Pequot Hotel, but have been told since that Edgartown is the better place to stay. Looking for advice as to what to see and do on our short but very much anticipated trip. Thanks!

sn Jun 12th, 2002 04:44 AM

The Pequot is nice but whoever told you Edgartown is better is right, and I would seriously consider trying to stay there (Colonial, Harborview, Kelley House). OB is the honky-tonk town of the Island with rowdy bars and bikers up and down Circuit Ave. That being said, you are only there 3 nights and this is the Vineyard so even honky tonk there can be lovely. As a regular Vineyarder these are my suggestions for a first time tourist:<BR><BR>1. Dinner at the Homeport in Menemsha: This is BYO so pick up some wine or beer. Delicious lobsters on a lovely harbor "up island". Although expensive, well-worth the trip. Very casusal.<BR><BR>2. Avoid the touristy schlock of Gay Head but pay $15 to park there and walk down to Moshup Beach. One of the few public beaches up island and you can explore the clay cliffs from there. BTW--becomes clothing optional the further you walk toward the cliffs. South Beach in Katama is also a great public beach option. Beaches in OB are nothing special.<BR><BR>3. We love Chesca's in Edgartown for great seafood and atmosphere. Enjoy a cocktail on the rockers on the porch.<BR><BR>Also: Morning Glory farm stand in Edgartown; Alley's General Store in West Tisbury; Dinner @ Lambert's Cove Country Inn (also a great place to stay). Have fun!

Mike Jun 12th, 2002 05:41 AM

To the OP:<BR><BR>With no disrespect to “sn” above, I believe that s/he has mischaracterized Oak Bluffs. My family has stayed in OB every summer for the past forty years (before I was born). While the town is more spirited than the gentrified Edgartown or the day-tripping Vineyard Haven, it is certainly not a “honky-tonk town” with “rowdy bars and bikers.” There are no garish neon signs, amusements parks (other than the famous carousel) or hotdog stands. It is not Lake George, Gatlinburg or Santa Cruz. Likewise, there are only three actual bars (that close by midnight), traditionally frequented by such rowdies as Ted Danson, Spike Lee and the late JFK, Jr. In this regard, Hells Angel-type bikers are definitely not commonplace in OB. Although, Jay Leno has been spotted on his hog before.<BR><BR>My family has continued to summer in OB precisely because there are things to do after dark besides dining at over-priced restaurants with inflated Zagats ratings, as in Edgartown. It’s a fun town with a fun vibe that has every bit as much character as any other town on the island. It also serves as a great base from which to explore all the other great suggestions offered by “sn.” <BR><BR>Enjoy your vacation.<BR>

zootsi Jun 12th, 2002 06:18 AM

We also usually stay in OB, which is much livlier than Edgartown, but certainly not honkey tonk! One of our favorite things to do is take the bike trail from OB to Edgartown - a wonderful 7 miles on a paved bike trail, where you can pull over and take a swim whenever the you get too hot.

sn Jun 12th, 2002 06:25 AM

Okay--Mike, maybe I was a bit harsh on OB. However, I didn't use the term "Hell's Angels" and if you want to say that bikers are not attracted to OB, that's just not true. Worse than the bikers are the teeming legions of moped riders, drawn to OB by the shady rental shops which refuse to close down (Wendy--please don't rent a moped anywhere on MV--very dangerous). All that being said, I agree OB has a fun vibe and is indeed spirited--the Methodist camp/tabarnacle are very neat with musical performances throughout the summer. I also appreciate the ethnic diversity of the town. However, Wendy is going with her husband and no kids, so the carousel is not a draw, and I am sure the arcades are not either. From the tone of her e-mail, it just seems like Edgartown is a better fit.

Wendy Jun 14th, 2002 05:41 AM

Can't thank all you guys enough for the tips and advice. After much consideration, we have decided to keep our reservations at the Pequot, since our time will most likely be spent everywhere except our room. I can already see by everything I've read and been told that we will be returning to MV, so we can just use this get-away to experiment. Who know's, I may have enough cocktails to buy a hog!!!<BR>What about the famous Black Dog? Is it a must? And with time being a factor, are we better off to reserve any parts of the island for another visit?<BR>Again, thanks for the info. We can't wait until July!!!

sn Jun 14th, 2002 06:07 AM

Wendy, you're right--you'll have a great stay no matter where you are on the Island. The Black dog is a decent bakery in Vineyard Haven. They also have a place to eat that I find overpriced and and overcrowded, though the food is decent. Of course, you'll likely want to buy a t-shirt, hat, etc. There is a huge merchandise shop next to the bakery, and also one in Edgartown, so it's doubtful you'll miss the Black Dog altogether. Remember--if you do eat at the Black Dog or anywhere else in Vineyard Haven, it's BYO because the town is stone dry! Other suggestions for VH: Bunch of Grapes Book shop and Midnight Farm--Carly Simon's very expensive furniture, clothing, everything store.<BR><BR>Just do whatever you feel like when you get there and don't feel like you have to do everything. However, I would not skip the trip "up island" to see Gay Head beach as I suggested earlier, Chilmark, etc--that's the real beauty of the Vineyard, in my opinion the best place in North America!

CJ Jun 14th, 2002 02:29 PM

Sitting on the porch in a rocking chair enjoying a great slice of homemade pizza at the Chilmark Store. It doesn't get much better than that!

sn Jun 17th, 2002 08:06 AM

100% agreed with CJ. Chilmark is pure paradise and that's some excellent pizza!

Wendy Jun 17th, 2002 01:27 PM

And I was thinking Chilmark might be one place I would skip.<BR><BR>How will I ever decide?

sn Jun 17th, 2002 01:36 PM

Wendy, you won't have to "skip" Chilmark--it's on the way to Gay Head and you'll pass right by the Chilmark General Store. <BR><BR>One other thought I had for you over the weekend was to check out the Chicama Winery. It's off the beaten path on the Edgartown-VH Road and a lot of fun to visit.<BR><BR>http://www.chicamavineyards.com/visitus.html

Wendy Jun 20th, 2002 03:58 AM

I checked my e-mail, (finally), and found a message from a wonderful lady who is celebrating her 20th anniversary in MV, staying in the same hotel for the same amount of time. She has promised to give me all the details when she returns, (I think she is there as we speak). People are just so nice!<BR><BR>

NY Jun 25th, 2002 03:30 PM

Thanx to Mike and "sn" for a much-needed presentation of OB v. Edgartown. For my first time to MV, I was not sure which one to stay in. You guys each showed strong points for both! Interesting that "sn" mentions the ethnic diversity of OB and this is intruiging to me. Is it in fact very multi-cultural, and if so, how? Are there any special festivals or places that are characteristic of this?

cristinaq Jun 30th, 2002 12:08 PM

Don't forget about Chillmark chocolets right next to the general store.Personally I'm a Vineyard Haven type of person. Wendy enjoy yourself.

Wendy Jul 5th, 2002 02:23 PM

It is finally almost here!!! I've spent the day packing up my kids to go to Grandma's and we will drop them off, (sounds better than "ditch them"-LOL), tomorrow.<BR><BR>Questions:<BR><BR>We could not secure a reservation for our car, so we will be without one. I am tempted to do the bus system, (save $15 at Gay Head), for a day of up-island exploration and then rent bikes for OB/Edgartown. Or should we just rent a car and, if so, for the entire stay or one day only? I understand parking down island can be a nightmare.<BR><BR>Beaches: South Beach, Joseph Sylvia, or make a long trek to Long Point Wildlife Refuge Beach in West Tisbury?Remember my transportation situation.<BR><BR>Anyone been to the Wednesday evening "Community Sings" at the tabernacle/campground. I love to sing, but hubby would probably rather drink, (especially if I am singing)! Just curious.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the pointers. Can't wait!!

sn Jul 7th, 2002 02:18 PM

Wendy, if you haven't left yet....<BR><BR>1. I'd still rent a car...there's really no other way to explore "up island" or even access South Beach with beach gear(and certainly not Long Point which is down a long dirt/sand road which I've biked and is quite a challenge). Parking can be tricky but it's not that bad and I think you'll be happier with a car. I know it's expensive but believe me you won't get a real feel for the real beauty of MV "up island" otherwise. Otherwise, you'll be limited to the OB beaches if you want to bring a cooler, lunch, etc--hard to bike with. <BR><BR>2. The community sings are part of the benefit of staying in OB and you should check them out...will give you a feel for the Methodist camp spirit on which the town was founded. <BR><BR>Have a great trip. Make sure to check out the Martha's Vineyard Gazette on line as well as WMVY radio (you can listen on line) to learn of any special events which may be going on this week.