Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   3 days in Zion/Bryce- how to split it (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/3-days-in-zion-bryce-how-to-split-it-398578/)

emd Feb 12th, 2004 05:39 PM

3 days in Zion/Bryce- how to split it

I am flying into Vegas and going on a hiking trip to Zion and Bryce for the first time the third wk of March. Aside from travel, will have 3 full days to hike. At present I have reservations at Desert Pearl all the nights. I thought we would hike in Zion two days and drive to Bryce the 3rd day to hike, and drive back to Desert Pearl that night to stay before driving back to Vegas the next a.m. to catch the flight out. Today someone told me I should think about getting reservations at Bryce one night to have the option of spending two days there and one day in Zion- they really liked Bryce alot more than Zion.
For those of you who have done this hiking trip, what would you recommend? We are moderate hikers (not real strenuous) and like hikes of several hours to a half day at a time. We do not want to do the wet canyon hikes in Zion.

utahtea Feb 12th, 2004 05:53 PM

You are going to find a lot of people who prefer Bryce and a lot of people who prefer Zion.

One thing to consider in March is the weather. It's going to be a lot colder in Bryce because it's at a higher elevation.

Personally, DH and I prefer Zion. So does my BIL, SIL and nephew. At Zion and even in Springdale you are in the canyon so you are surrounded by beautiful scenery. I find this very relaxing. At Bryce you have to be at an overlook or on a hike to see the scenery.

IMHO, I would spend all three nights in Zion and make a day trip to Bryce to do the hike....but I know you will get all kinds of different opinions.

Utahtea

Dutch Feb 12th, 2004 07:54 PM

Utahtea is right - as usual. I have been to Bryce several times in late March and there is still snow and ice on the ground and trails. Zions in March is wonderful.

gail Feb 12th, 2004 08:26 PM

We are among those who preferred Bryce - but - although we are not hikers, Zion seemed far better for hiking than Bryce. Would seem there was a lot more hikeable that is interesting at Zion.

emd Feb 13th, 2004 04:12 AM

Thanks very much. I had no idea there might still be snow/ice around Bryce. If we go there one day and can't hike, we can take a look and head back to Zion then. I'll keep my reservations at Desert Pearl.
BTW- the Flannigan's website has info on a spa there (massage after a day of hiking sounds good) but apparently it isn't open yet.

placeu2 Feb 13th, 2004 05:31 AM

I would vote for 2 days at Zion, indeed the hiking is much better. Bryce will test your lung capacity more due to the additional elevation (depending on what you are used to). 1 day at Bryce is fine but the weather will likely be an issue. Last summer I met a woman there who told me that the previous year she experienced snow in July at Bryce. I talked with one of the cowboys at Bryce who told me they average over 200 days when the temp dips below 32 degrees. Many significantly colder.

brookwood Feb 13th, 2004 06:55 AM

Not surprising the Bryce is colder. It is aferall anywhere from 8,000 feet to 9,100 feet above sea level at the rim.

Zion is about 4,000 feet lower which makes a difference of about 12 degrees alone on atmospheric expansion/contraction.
(Figure 3.1 degrees F for each 1,000 feet of elevation difference based on 5.6 degrees C per vertical kilometer or 10.08 degrees F per 3280 feet.)
Given the altitude, I am surprised that Bryce is as warm as it is!!

utahtea Feb 13th, 2004 07:08 AM

placeu2,

I'm not surprised that it still can snow in Bryce in July. We've had freek snow storms in the Sierra's and in Yellowstone in July...but in July it's not going to stick around long.

We've also experienced snow in Zion on April 1st and snow in Bryce & Zion at the end of May....but these are not the norm.

Utahtea