Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   3 days in San Francisco, no car - is Civic Center a good area to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/3-days-in-san-francisco-no-car-is-civic-center-a-good-area-to-stay-1088856/)

janiecbh Mar 6th, 2016 04:56 AM

3 days in San Francisco, no car - is Civic Center a good area to stay?

My husband and I (60's) are flying into San Francisco International Airport Sept 16. We want to go to golden gate bridge, ride a trolley car, go to Giants vs Cardinal game at AT&T Park. We were looking to stay at the Civic Center area. Is this a good area to stay to get around (how do we get around) or where do you suggest? How do we get there from the airport? We are planning on renting a car and continuing our trip to Yosemite. We will be returning the car in Portland. (Any tips for that??) Thank you!!!

StuDudley Mar 6th, 2016 06:05 AM

>>Civic Center area. Is this a good area to stay to get around (how do we get around)<<

The Civic Center area is full of homeless & vagrants. Many sleeping/panhandling in the Bart/Muni Metro underground station - which you would use to get around.

>> or where do you suggest?<<

Embarcadero, at the foot of Market St. Better transportation options.

Stu Dudley

janisj Mar 6th, 2016 06:15 AM

>>3 days in San Francisco, no car - is Civic Center a good area to stay?<<

in one word . . . <B><blue>NO!

tomfuller Mar 6th, 2016 06:17 AM

The guy that lives there has great advice.
Here is the BART map. https://www.bart.gov/
What do you want to see between San Francisco and Portland?
Either fly to PDX or take the Amtrak Coast Starlight to Eugene and rent a car there to see coastal Oregon.

DebitNM Mar 6th, 2016 06:54 AM

The thing with San Francisco is that the environment changes drastically when you simply cross a street. The ok areas border the no ok areas and it makes giving general suggestions less than helpful.

You don't mention a budget so that restricts suggestions as well. You need to give a price per night keeping in mind the taxes which are approx 15%.

The Mosser, Marriott Marquis, Courtyard [a bit of a walk], Hyatt Regency, Le Meridien [area is a bit quiet at night and weekends], Sir Francis Drake (Union Square area, very busy area) the Palace Hotel, Hotel Zelos, The Omni [also a quiet area at night & weekend], W San Francisco would all be places to look for rooms in good areas.

We have never used a car in SF; we walk or use public transit which is easy to do and is low cost:
[MUNI BUS & RAIL SINGLE TRIP FARE $1 for seniors. Need to have Driver's License to prove you are senior.] https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around...lity-discounts

Use BART to get from airport:
https://www.bart.gov/guide/airport

indyhiker Mar 6th, 2016 08:32 AM

Are you from the US and, if so, have you priced a one way car rental yet? It can prove to be rather costly.

Dukey1 Mar 6th, 2016 09:30 AM

We usually stay at the Embarcadero Hyatt (there are OTHER hotels nearby) when we go to San Francisco for the opera and here is why WE do it:

Easy to reach by BART from the airport; close to BART and MUNI (subway-surface cars). Close to the Ferry Building (where we like to be). Easy to get up Market on MUNI and off for the shorty walk to the opera house.

Yes, we KNOW it isn't the number one, or even two, or three, or four on either TripAdvisor in terms of either hotel ratings or location ratings. But it works for us and we continue to use it.

For our upcoming opera weekend we considered the Fairmont and splurging on one of the corner rooms in the tower. But, IMO, the Fairmont has always been a PITA to reach (and yes I DO love riding the cable cars) and <B>unless the taxi situation has greatly changed</B> I give up the view for something more "practical."

curiousgeo Mar 6th, 2016 09:50 AM

Dukey, while the Embarcadero Hyatt may not be one of the top rated hotels in San Francisco, it is a very nice one for all the reasons you state. I find the lobby area quite impressive and one could do a whole lot worse than that in the city.

janiecbh Mar 6th, 2016 10:03 AM

Everyone, thank you for your replies and maps. We will NOT be staying in Civic Center area - thank you!! We are now looking at staying near Union Square. Our vacation will be 14 days so we try to keep our stays under $250 (I know that is hard to do in major cities) When we leave San Francisco, we will be renting a car and heading to Yosemite, Redwood, Crater Lake, and Mt Rainer, flying out of Seattle. Yes, our rental car will be kinda pricey but worth it in the area we will cover.

janisj Mar 6th, 2016 10:21 AM

Don't worry and don't feel you have to justify anything. There are some who will recommend 2 trains, 3 buses, and a canoe to avoid drop off fees ;)

Re where to stay -- Union Square is absolutely fine and there are a lot of nice hotels in the area. Just understand 'near' US can mean a lot of things. Don't pick a place too far west of US.

Re the Embarcadero Hyatt - it is one of my favorite hotels in the city for 1) the KILLER views, 2) very easy transport to/from the airport, 3) across the street from the Ferry Bldg, 4) Being able to jump on the California Street Cable car w/o the hassles/crowds of the Powell Street line, 5) being able to collect a rental car (both Avis and Budget are in the hotel garage) 6) walking along the Embarcadero in either direction to the piers (Exploratorium/39/Fisherman's) and AT&T Park,

sf7307 Mar 6th, 2016 01:51 PM

The Embarcadero Hyatt has recently done a lobby and entrance facelift/modernization. Don't know about the rooms, although the room I was in a year or so ago (son and DIL stayed there) was perfectly fine. I agree with all of Janis' reasons for staying there (I work next door).

Betsy Mar 6th, 2016 03:43 PM

We live about 35 miles from SF and have the Hyatt credit card (through Chase) that provides a free night each year. We sometimes use the free night at the Hyatt Embarcadero and find it to be a perfectly fine hotel. We love the Ferry building and other attractions along the Embarcadero, and there are many good restaurants within walking distance. It's close to public transportation and in a safe part of the city.

You may want to look at the difference between riding a cable car and a trolly. SF has both--but there's a difference between the two.

sf7307 Mar 6th, 2016 05:33 PM

Betsy, when my son and DIL stayed there last year, it was using my free Hyatt night - love that benefit.

Betsy Mar 7th, 2016 04:05 PM

We love the benefit too. Usually use it at the Hyatt Embarcadero. Makes it a lovely short getaway. You were generous to donate your free night to your son and DIL.