Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

3 days in Grand Canyon/Sedona - first time - what to do and where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Lonya

We're planning a trip for my husband's 30th birthday to Vegan/Canyon and plan to drive to the Canyon from Vegas. Any advice on where to stay and what to see? We really enjoy the outdoors so rustic cabins are a plus!! Any recommendations on trips etc., would be so helpful. I've heard the mule trip to Phantom ranch is a must - but reservations for mid-June may be difficult to come by. Thanks

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Abby

Hi,

If you are outdoorsy, athletic people, I would recommend hiking in the grand canyon, rather than the mule ride. It will be pretty hot in June, so you would have to carry plenty of water, and plan to hike during the early morning, but I did it a few years ago during the summer and had a wonderful time. It is fun to meet lots of people hiking (seems like a lot of foreign visitors in the summertime, and you can't beat the view!) The trails are nice and wide in general and not as steep as you might expect. I would heed the ranger's suggestions though, that if it is too hot, you might want to make it a short hike.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Paul Rabe

Best advice for what to do at the Canyon can be found at

www.kaibab.org/gc/misc/gc_what.htm

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 11:30 AM
lisa

You don't mention your price range, but I was in Grand Canyon and Sedona in August/September 2000 and can tell you where I stayed. At the Grand Canyon I stayed at Bright Angel in one of their historic cabins for $70 per night. The cabins are simple & nothing fancy, but comfortable and very well located on the south rim. Go to the amfac website for reservations info. I did the overnight mule ride to Phantom Ranch and highly recommend that. If you can't get reservations because it's all booked up, keep checking back, because there are cancellations. I was able to reserve the trip with only a couple of weeks' notice, because a large group cancelled. In terms of food at the Grand Canyon, don't miss the ribs at the Arizona Steakhouse -- they are excellent. In Sedona I stayed at the Comfort Inn which was, again, very affordable ($73 per night), well-located, and comfortable, but nothing fancy. For a nice dinner in Sedona I recommend Shuegrue's Hillside Grill. It is a little pricey but worth it. If you do a search using the words Grand Canyon and Sedona you will find a detailed trip report I posted on this site in September with lots more info on hikes, restaurants, daytrips, etc. Good luck and have a wonderful time.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 01:59 PM
Lonya

Hi Lisa - I read your earlier trip report and as a result - was sold on the Mule trip. I reserved the last two mules today for mid June. I'm really excited about it. Are you by any chance the same Lisa that travelled to St. Lucia and sold us on Ladera? If so, I definitely know I can trust your recommendations on this one - so thanks!!!

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 02:48 PM
Joan

I saw overweight people smoking cigararettes while riding on those poor mules. Absolutely disgusting; they should have been hiking for their fitness and health. Have no respect for mule riders.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 12:39 PM
Edye

I have driven from Vegas to Sedona 2ce and you must rent a convertible to really apprecaite the fabulous drive, esp if it's June and you don't mind a bit of heat and dust. The air is so great around there and there is nothing like the wind in your ahir through the desert. Also you MUST approach Sedona via Route 89A, a long and windy road which drops 2000 ft (approx) from I-40 to the town of Sedona. The change in vegetation along the way is very cool and so much more interesting than coming in from the highway You can also go north on 89A to reach the Canyon. What a great time you will have. There is nothing like the difference between Vegas and the Canyon/Sedona area to allow one to truly appreciate how diverse our country is!

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 07:39 AM
lisa

Lonya -- Yes, I'm the same one who went to St. Lucia & Ladera. Hope you enjoy the mule ride as much as I did! You will be sore, but it's worth it!

Joan -- FYI, there is a weight limit on the mules of 200 lbs including rider, clothing and gear, and there is no possible way anyone could smoke while riding one (in addition to being prohibited, with the reins in one hand and the motivator in the other while riding up and down pretty steep trails, there would be no way to hold a cigarette in your hand while riding). Nice try though. By the way, I'm an avid hiker myself. But there's more than one way to see the Canyon!

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:19 AM
Neal Sanders

Lonya, I second Lisa's recommendations and will add that when you call Amfac for accommodations at Bright Angel, check for availability of a "rim cabin." They are indeed "simple and nothing fancy" but the view is stunning. There is also one cabin that is well worth inquiring about... the Bucky O'Neil suite. It's a two-room cabin with a huge fireplace that literally sits on the rim of the canyon. We stayed there last April; I posted a fairly lengthy note on it which you can find in the archives.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 10:07 AM
Lonya

Thanks Lisa and Neal - I reserved two different cabins for two nights and requested a good view. But I will call back to inquire about the rim cabin and o'neil suite so thank you for the recommendations. Any suggestions on what the best/most scenic drive would be at the canyon? Or should we try a hike on a trail other than where the mules go? By the way, we too are avid hikers and healthy I might add. If it wasn't safe for the mules I'm sure the SPCA would be involved!!!