3 Day Driving Trip outside Boston

Aug 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

3 Day Driving Trip outside Boston

Will be in Boston Oct 24-28th, then renting a car (Wed.) for road trip, return to Logan Airport Sat. morning. Which direction from Boston is likely to still have fall color? Any suggestions as to accommodations are also welcome--preferably a quaint B&B along the water, or with a view. Thanks for your help!
Aug 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM

In general, the best color is likely to be in southern and coastal New England at that time.

But it all depends on the weather. I was just looking at some pictures of trips from the last two years, and I had pictures of some nice color in Vermont (Montpelier area and south) and New Hampshire (Plymouth area and west and south) from around October 18-20, 2007. But it definitely was past peak.

I also had some pictures from around Columbus Day 2008 from Cape Cod. Although there was some color, it was equally obviously BEFORE peak by a good bit - still lots of green.
Aug 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM

Agree with Cranachin. I have seen decent foliage in RI as late as Oct 23. You might consider staying in Providence and doing day trips from there since there are so many great restaurants in Providence. The Biltmore is a beautiful old hotel.
Aug 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your input!
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Can somebody suggest me the best itinerary with the same wishes but different dates... Sep 24-27?

Thank you,
Michele
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Your dates are just in between good color but every yr is different. Sept is really early for foliage. Your best bet would be far northern New England - the Stowe/Burlington area of VT (Rt 93 to 89 about 4 hrs or so)or the Franconia notch area of NH bcs of the altitude (Rt 93 all the way, about 3 hrs). Way, way up in NH near Colebrook is the old Balsams resort which has quite a following and wonderful food but be aware it is very old. It has beautiful grounds, old world service, jackets at dinner I think, but is fairly isolated and may take close to 5 hrs from Boston.
Aug 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM

And how about if fall colour is not the main thing. We want some nature, culture, perhaps a bit of coast as well.
We are not much into old resorts, rather quaint, relaxed inns (we are both 30). We will have visited NY before and will visit Boston after, so some peace and quiet in the middle would be nice

I really have no idea what the scenic roads are. I am playing around a bit on Google Maps. Was thinking of the following:

Sep 24th: evening arrival in Boston, pick up rental car, drive on to Springfield
Sep 25th: visit Springfield Armory (my bf would like that...), then on to White Mountains
Sep 26th: Adirondrack Park, on to northern Vermont
Sep 27th: on to coast of Maine via (Portland, elsewhere?)
Sep 28th: morning arrival in Boston.

Does this sound like a good plan or is the tour too much? We don't mind doing quite a bit of driving, but would like to have scenic roads. Also, suggestions on nice places to spend the night along the road would be welcome !
Aug 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Sorry, that would be Green Mountains

I made a little Google Map with my first thought of itinerary:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
110032407596615137135.0004720c6dfb8fa6486e7
Aug 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Personally, I think that's too many miles in 3 days. After a few hours on the road, you need to stop. The Springfield Armory sounds like a good idea. If you're in northern VT, the Great Vermont Corn Maze is fun to do but needs at least 2-3 hours. Rt 91 from Springfield up thru western MA to VT is hwy but a pleasant drive. But Springfield to Burlington is probably at least 5 hours.
Aug 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM

When I click on your map, I just get a map of the United States. How many miles is this itinerary? We recently drove New Haven, CT-Woodstock,VT-Andover, MA-Newport, RI-New Haven, CT over a 3-1/2 day period. It was about 500 miles in total, and it was perfect.