Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

3 choices, LongBoat Keys, Can't decide!! Help..

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've narrowed down my choices for January in Longboat Keys area to Colony Beach and Tennis Resort, Resort at Longboat Keys, or Radisson Lido Beach, which I know is not in Longboat Keys. The Hilton only has smoking rooms available so that choice is out. Which one should I pick and why? Price not a problem.... THANK YOU!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:24 PM

How long will you be there? I assune you don't want to rent a house or condo? That's what we always do.

Otherwise, you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. If you like modern high rise buildings on the beach surrounded by a golf course, go for the Resort at Longboat Key. If you like old fashioned looking, two story wooden buildings - not glitzy and not facing the water - but surrounded by tennis courts and the best service and dining I've ever experienced - it's the Colony Beach and Tennis Resort.

The Radisson does not compare to the above two. It's just a hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Postal-I booked the Longboat Keys. Room has kitchen and washer/dryer which I thought was a big plus over the other 2 resorts, and I even got a AAA discount rate.. Thanks for the feedback..
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

correction: Booked The Resort at Longboat Key....
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:33 AM

The Resort at Long Boat is very nice. It is also close to the bridge to St. Armands making it a very short drive to dinners, etc. Some of the condos are complete...living room, dining room, separate lanais for each bedroom and living room, full kitchen and laundry. Gulf front condos are very elaborate, others simpler. I believe that the accomodations are individually owned by investors and some have upgraded their units to accomodate their own families. LMF
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM

I think you'll love Longboat Key as we do. Just remember that the Publix (grocery store) closes pretty early!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 04:37 PM

GailLK, my SIL & BIL lived on LongBoat Key for years. In fact he was mayor of LongBoatKey. They are now deceased and so I don't travel there anymore. I could of course, but don't.

I love LongBoatKey. Always had the most relaxing vacations. Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Both Longboat Key and Lido are very nice. Lido is teeny-tiny compared to Longboat Key, but the advantage is that you could literally walk to St. Armands within minutes. The Colony Beach on LBK is supposed to be one of the island's nicest properties, but I've not been there. I haven't stayed there in quite a while, actually because my old standby was converted into a newer place and the charm was gone. Will you be biking? There are lovely paths. I think you need to pick one and go with it. One is caramel, the other fudge, you can't go wrong with either. Sorry to be so little help but you will not be unhappy with your decision, whatever it is!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:37 PM

TandooriGirl, I too thought the Colony was suppose to be great but because I stayed with family I didn't know for sure.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Gail, You've made a great choice, but it's true you couldn't have gone wrong with either. I live just over the bridge in Sarasota, but work on Longboat Key and am fortunate enough to make that lovely, scenic drive daily. You might check out www.longboatobserver.com for local information on shopping, events and restaurants. Enjoy!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
LN

You should be very happy with your choice especially since it's on Longboat Key. Longboat, Siesta, and Anna Maria Keys are the nicest barrier islands on the gulf west coast IMHO. We fell in love with the place about 12 years ago and live here part time.

There's some great retaurants and some nice inexpensive restaurants (especially around Sarasota) we try to get to many of them. If you would like to have a first class dinner then try Euphemia Haye or Harry's - they're both memorable. If you'd like something very reasonable and still good then try the Anna Maria pier. For stone crab claws try Moore's and for a great grouper sandwich try the Salty Dog which is by the Mote Marine Aquarium (a great place to take the kids one day).

There's not many hotel/motels left on Longboat - they're all selling out for mega dollars to condo developers. The Hilton's rates are generally very high as their competition Holiday inn has closed.

St Armands is unique - a great shopping experience - not too many places like that around anywhere.

Oh it was 88 F here today - really pleasant and the beach was so nice to walk on.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ALL for your responses and suggestions. We are really looking forward to our FIRST visit to Longboat Keys area........
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 06:03 AM

GailK, FYI, it is Longboat Key. There is only one "key" (island). You will have a great time. Be sure to check out the bayside restaurants tucked back off the main road. They have a lot of character.