Reload this Page >

2week Motorhome trip in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
ralphie

I am going by motorhome for 2 weeks through Alaska. It will be a roundtrip to/from Anchorage. Does anyone have suggestions of favorite spots to visit? I plan to visit Kenai Peninsula, Denali, Fairbanks, ...etc. Suggestions? Please be specific.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
lisa

I don't have any suggestions, but wanted to say that this sounds SO wonderful! I'm very jealous. Please feel free to write about it when you return.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:23 AM
MeToo

My family will be doing a 2 week motorhome vacation also -- in July. I am anxious to read the responses to Ralphie's post.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
connie

Do a search on Alaska here on Fodors. I have learned so much to help in my planning--especially anything from Alan Cleaveland.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:02 AM
Jethro

All of here in Trailer Parkansas are soooooooooooo dang jealous of y'all!!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:12 PM
Paige

I read a book a few years ago titled First We Quit Our Jobs. It's about a couple who quit their jobs, bought a motorhome and took off from the Norteastern U.S. to Alaska, back down for a Southern route home. See if you library has it and just read the Alaska parts. I thought it was very interesting and sounded like lots of fun. They talked about the rough roads, the campgrounds and going to a salmon bake.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
Ann

Thanks for the info ... I will check the library today.

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Wanda

I am jealous also, but my husband and I were in Alaska for 3 weeks in 2000. We had a blast, stayed at motels, put 4500 miles on a rental car.
First, get a Milepost, available at book stores and go from there and yes there is a mile marker at each and every mile. It has everything that you will need. If you want information on the places that we went to just email me and I will be glad to help anyway that I can.

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Alan Cleveland

First off, thanks Connie! I almost skipped past this one and now I'm glad I didn't. To be fair, I should point out that I have been intimately involved in the Alaska visitors industry since 1984. In which time I have managed car rental agencies, hotels, worked at a remote lodge, sold whitewater rafting trips in Denali, and worked closely with local organizations and travel writers to ensure that Alaska is properly represented.

Currently I am running an information and reservation service specializing in Alaska owned and operated businesses. However, since I am also a traveler, and have experienced all of these things, I write into the forum from time to time. This is not for commercial gain but merely to point people in the right direction and hopefully save them from having a tourist as a guide.

Ralphie, your itinerary sounds perfect. Depending on your timing, there might be some sockeye salmon in the Russian River which has a nice campground for motorhomes. A walk upstream will usually provide at least one bear sighting of either species (brown or black).

If you are traveling in July or August, Seward is a hotspot with silver salmon. They are easily caught with a vibrax off of the beach at Lowell Point. Hip waders help.

My favorite activitiy in Fairbanks has to be the UAF museum. With the pleistocene age being not that long ago, there is a goodly amount of bones and other evidences of life here 10,000 year ago... including Blue Babe, an oxen that was frozen and preserved.

And, speaking of oxen, I'd also highly recommend the Musk Ox Farm north of Palmer. I'm not sure why I like this animal so much except that it is so comical to look at. I've been trying for years to talk them into letting me ride one... just because I think it would look good on my resume.

For the record, I'm jealous of your upcoming vacation as well. Need a guide?

Old May 6th, 2002, 03:15 PM
ralphie

Alan,
Thanks for the info. I have been watching your posts and taking notes. I will keep in mind everything that you said. There will be four of us going, my mom and dad, my girlfriend and myself. I just need to make sure that we slow down and smell the roses (or in this case Musk ox) as we go... This will be my parent's first and probably last trip to Alaska and I really want it to be a memorable one. I will do everything in my power to make it a trip of a lifetime for them. They are really getting up in age and their health is failing quickly. I would love a guide, so you may hear a knock at the door in about a month or so....hehehe.

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Alan Cleveland

Ah, traveling with the aged. You might want to skip some of the "hiking upstream" suggestions and enjoy the areas nearer the roads.

I'm always trying to get people in contact with bears, which are frequently the highlight of the trip. However, staying near the road does not mean that you won't see bears. It just means changing your travel times and looking in other areas.

If you are motoring at 5 or 6 am, you might catch a glimpse of bears on any of the highways. Bring binnoculars and, whenever you are parked near an open slope, and you will be quite frequently, take the time to scan it.

Bears and moose can be seen anywhere in Southcentral and Interior Alaska including areas around Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Anyway, for seniors, I'd recommend places like the Aviation Museum, the Alaska Experience Theater, the Seward Sea Life Center, The Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Musk Ox Farm, the UAF Museum, and as many of the salmon bakes as you can endure! These are not only for seniors, but they do require the least physical exursion while still exposing you to things uniquely Alaskan.

Finally, take a Kenai Fjords Tour in Seward. This is frequently the highlight of the trip with whales, calving tidewater glaciers, sea lions, otters, and porpoises to be seen almost every time. These trips cost about $110.00 to start.

I'll be waiting for a knock on the door!

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
ralphie

Thankyou. These are all good suggestions. I will get a little bit of time to hike around. My parents insist on it. I will leave them now and then in the comfort of the motorhome and head out for adventure. I shouldn't be gone for more than half of a day or so. I plan to do some kayaking, fishing, hiking, and bird watching(love eagles...). Thank you for your input and I will make sure to slow things down a little and enjoy the little things.

Old May 27th, 2002, 06:56 PM
jena

Ralphie, What a blessing you are to your parents taking them on a trip to Alaska. Even though you will not be doing everything on this trip that you might do if your parents weren't with you, you will never forget this trip. And they will never forget your gift to them either. God Bless you on your trip. Jena

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Utahtea

It has been 10 years since we were in Alaska, but we did also did it in a motorhome.

I second the idea of a Milepost. We drove the Alaska Highway and also spent 3 weeks in Alaska and that book was on my lap the WHOLE time! It's fantastic.

South of Anchorage is Portage Glacier and a little farther south is Exit Glacier. Both are really worth exploring. I also second the idea of Seward. I've never seen so many bald eagles! I also second the idea of a Kenai Fjords Tour in Seward. The wildlife is awsome and so is the scenery.

Have a good trip. Take rain gear and you do realize that they call the misquote the state bird for a good reason. LOL

Utahtea