Texas vacation

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas vacation

I want to find a good place to visit in mid february that is not more than a 5 hour drive from Dallas. My husband and two children ages 7 and 3 will be coming on the trip.
Would like someplace warm. Please give your suggestions.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM

My research doesn't turn up any place within 5 hours of Dallas that is much warmer than Dallas in February. New Orleans is, on average, a little warmer and less wet than Dallas in February, but it is a 7 1/2 hour drive.

If you go to the Gulf, we like Port Aransas more than Galveston, but Galveston is a 5-hour drive whereas the drive to Port Aransas is closer to 7 hours.

HTtT
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Agree, honestly there's no place within a 5 hour drive of Dallas that will give you guaranteed warmth in February.

That said, you could be lucky and be traveling during a mild spell - consider San Antonio or perhaps Galveston. Corpus Christie comes into play if you'd consider a 6 to 6.5 hour drive.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:37 PM

There is a Schiltterbahn Resort in Galveston with an indoor waterpark on the beach.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Houston is generally warmer than Dallas...unless an odd cold spell hits us (Houston) and not you (Dallas).
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:22 AM

I'm assuming you live in Dallas and are looking for a long weekend trip. I'd head to San Antonio. It will be a little warmer, but I'd make reservations that can be cancelled should the weather turn cooler. We were there last Jan. 26-29 and had great weather. The days were sunny and we wore short sleeves during the day, but we needed light jackets in the evening. Chances of it raining in February are low.

Your kids are a good age for a trip there. They would enjoy the zoo and the train around Brackenridge Park. http://www.sazoo-aq.org/attractions/zoo-train/

Sea World is great, but only open on weekends in February.

Natural Bridge Wildlife Drive thru Ranch is fun for everyone. http://www.wildliferanchtexas.com/

And of course, the Riverwalk cruise is fun for everyone, too.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM

Does it have to be warm? Several serious good spots in Arkansas. Hiking in Upper Buffalo River area (tons of great waterfalls) is one of my favorite places. Several good state parks in Arkansas. It is usually pretty cold in Feb. though.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM

Hot Springs, Arkansas is five hours from Dallas. It won't be any warmer than Dallas, but there are some interesting things to do. Visit Bathhouse Row in Hot Springs National Park (downtown HS), go to the Mid-American Museum, might be able to take an eagle tour at Lake Ouachita State Park. You could rent a house at Hot Springs Village--people play golf here year-round except when it rains or snows. We also have a good playground for children. http://hsvpoa.org/
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Lots of people love Hot Springs. I do enjoy going there on derby day, but I've never understood the attraction of the place. I know it's probably me, but that's what makes the world go round.