21 day trip plan to LA, Arizona, Utah & Vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After months of reading the forum. We (total 16 persons, ages from 6 to 58) will fly from Singapore to L.A. to embark on a 21 day trip from Nov25 to Dec15. First time for most of us to the US.

The following is a brief preview of our plan covering a diversity of interests:

Nov25 : Arrive LAX 11am; Santa Monica, Beverly Hills (LA)
Day 2 : Disneyland (LA)
Day 3 : Universal Studios, Hollywood, Mulholland Drive (LA)
Day 4 : Oceanside pier, Torrey pines & La Jolla (SD)
Day 5 : Sea World, Coronado, Point Loma (SD)
Day 6 : Julian, Joshua tree (Parker).
Day 7 : Kingman, Jerome (Sedona)
Day 8 : Boyton Canyon, etc (Sedona)
Day 9 : Oak Creek Canyon (Flagstaff)
Day 10 : Sunset Crater , Wupatki (GC)
Day 11 : South Kaibab trail (GC)
Day 12 : GC East rim drive, Cameron (Page)
Day 13 : Antelope canyon (Bryce)
Day 14 : Navajo & Queen?s Garden ,etc ( Bryce )
Day 15 : Escalante, Boulder, highway 9 to Zion (Springdale)
Day 16 : Angels Landing & Riverside walk (Springdale)
Day 17 : Valley of Fire, Hoover dam, (LV )
Day 18 : Death Valley
Day 19 : Strip (LV)
Day 20 : Barstow (LA)
Day 21 : depart LA (air)

Our preference are great nature hikes of jaw dropping panorama, fun activities (theme parks, window shopping,etc), fascinating nature landscapes or infrastructures and quaint small towns.

Any comments or suggestion is very much appreciated if we miss out any great places to do or some can be skipped.

Thanks a lot, Don
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:24 AM

You need to slow down.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Hi Don, this is definitely an ambitious trip! Even for us and we've done eight similar trips, each within 3 weeks. But it can be done, altho it will be a whirlwind and some will be a drive-by. And yet i totally understand trying to sample everything and squeeze it all in.

That said, i would definitly switch around days 18 & 19 - spend the 18th day in Vegas since you'll essentially be there already. (if you MUST spend even a day in vegas....IMO i'd totally skip vegas this trip). Then on your way back to LA, stop in Death Valley. Otherwise you'll be backtracking. What is your plan for Barstow?

Have you done a search here on each destination? Most have been discussed extensively, on things to see, do and places to stay etc.

Its always interesting to hear what others think, as i'm sure you'll hear plenty!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:20 AM
emd

Will everyone be hiking on these hikes, ages 6 to 58? If so, I have some comments. Like: Angel's Landing for a 6 yr old? So please supply that info.
I'll recommend some hikes in Sedona in Boyton Canyon and Oak Creek Canyon that are particularly spectacular, but I need to know the skill level, ages, and stamina of your hikers to do so appropriately. Also, you may be in Sedona during some nice Christmas festivities, lighting ceremonies, etc. If you are interested in that, I'll tell you where to find out.
I just came back from hiking in Zion and Bryce. We (two women in their late 40s) went to Las Vegas afterwards, first time there. I wouldn't do it again that way. After being outdoors and hiking and seeing the stars up close, it was an assault on the senses to go to Vegas and it frankly ruined the spell of the trip for us, even though we had a very special event planned in Vegas. It was just too weird and sensory overload. But that was just us.
Also, on the days you are doing the theme parks, you are trying to fit in other stuff. If you have small kids, I think it is too much to do a themepark and other things in one day. We've been to Sea World in S.D. and Universal in L.A., and I wouldn't have been able to fit anything else those days.
Much of your hiking is going to be chilly and crisp. I hope you have good layers of clothing and everyone can hike in the cold and not mind it. I prefer cold weather hiking myself.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments & sugestions.

Yes I think we need to slow down a bit and incorporate some of the suggestions given.

Actually we had done a 3-week trip covering almost 4,000 miles 4 summers ago in Northern California and managed to have many moments of solitude and ample appreciation in nature, history and adventures.

Since this is our first trip in winter to the US, perhaps it was a bit ambitious in the planning, but we will leave it with flexibility in our route and activities.

As for the portion of Vegas plan, we will do the Death Valley on our return trip to LA.(Thanks Ellen for this suggestion) We probably stop at Barstow just to break our journey to LA

With a exception of a 6 & 12 year old kid, the rest are mainly in mid-teens to 20's. 2 in their 40's & 2 in 50's. All are reasonably fit and had done many long hours of hiking (in hot tropical climate). So winter hiking is sometime new to us and definitely we will have layers and heed any advice given.

I had read about the Angels Landing, perhaps some of us may skip the last section of the final climb and that may include my 6 year old son.

As for the sensory assaults from nature to Vegas, i think we could manage it. Since we are planning a diversity of activities, most in the group are comfortable with the programmes.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:25 AM

We did parts of this trip recently and I wrote a detailed trip report on this site. If you type ccrosner into the search field, you will see three installments under the title LV/GC/Bryce/Zion or something like that. May give you some good guidances on hikes, etc.

I think you'll do fine with your jammed packed itinerary. Just watch the fatigue on the 6 year old. Our gungho, upbeat 8 year old daughter was quite exhausted by our 10th day and it could have caused some safety issues hiking.

Have a blast!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Hi Don,

Quite a trip! You should go prepared for the likelyhood that you may not be able to hike in Bryce. I live in Utah and we have already had heavy snow at the high altitudes. Bryce is at 8,000ft. and the trails get icy in winter. Angel's Landing will probably be OK, but can be icy too at times.

Have fun and good luck!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's one of the busiest days of the year for Disneyland. I think I'd go there on Thanksgiving Day, directly from the airport. From 2pm to 9pm on Thanksgiving day you'll be able to see and do more than you will from 8am to 10pm the following day.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I DEFINITELY agree w/ clarkgriswold. Disneyland will be an absolute MOB the day after Thanksgiving.

I would either go there on your arrival day (Thurs/Thanksgiving) or maybe wait til your 4th or 5th day. The Sunday will be crowded but nothing like the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:03 PM

OK, now that we havr the info on who is hiking, I recommend some hikes in Boynton Canyon area and Oak Creek Canyon:

1) Devil's Bridge. A wonderful hike to a freestading arch which you can walk out on. Kids love this one too due to the BIG payoff at the end w/the "bridge"

2) close to Devil's Bridge is another spectacular hike, my very fovorite in that area (and actually one of my top two all time hikes)-- Lost Canyon. The beginning of this hike is a bit steep, but there are trees and "steps" knocked into the dirt. My 10 yr old did fine w/it, and I think you can help the 6 yr old get up the incline. Amazing hike. You will come across a set of very intact Indian ruins set into a canyon cliff (no one can reach them, so they are in very good shape). and the vista views are incredible. This is a long (4 hr) hike and we saw no one else on the hike when we were there, in mid-Dec.
on a friday.

3) another good hike in Boynton canyon is Fay Canyon Arch, although it is a bit steep at the end, but your party should be able to do it. Starts out in a flat forest of trees, then takes off towards the arch. Do not attempt in sneakers, you need boots which it sounds like you all will have.

4) In oak Creek Canyon, great hike is West Fork of Oak Creek. half way up the canyon on 89A, past Junipine, on left side of the road is the parking and trailhead. Goes down into a canyon and croses the creek a few times. Spectacular canyon walls on both sides of you. Go as far as you want- it can be a long hike to get to the end.

I recommend Sherri and ____ (I am blanking on the husband's name now) Mangum's book "Sedona Hikes"-- you can pick this up when youget to Sedona. It lays out all of these hikes in detail. Great book, inexpensive investment. The Mangum's live in Flagstaff and also have written a great book on Flagstaff hiking. We loved Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff if you can go at night. It is where Pluto was discovered and they open up their telescopes to the public- but it will be c-o-l-d, as Flag is much higher and Lowell is up on a big hill If you want a place for lunch on the way up Oak Creek Canyon (before you hike West Fork?) try Junipine's Grill. On the left, about 8 miles up 89A in the canyon. They may only be open certain hours or days in winter though.
there are all kinds of fun things in Sedona- horse back riding in West Sedona close to Red Rock State park, full moon hikes at Red Rock State park if it is full moon while you are there (they put out telescopes for that too), etc.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:53 AM

My one suggestion would be on your drive from Julian to Joshua Tree, stop in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. This park will give you a good view of the American southwest low-desert. Have lunch in our little village of Borrego Springs. Enjoy your travels in our beautiful country.
Borrego Joan
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I would go down to San Diego on that first arrival day (no traffic), and do the San Diego end of your trip on Thursday Fri and Sat. On Sunday I would drive up to Hollywood for your day at Universal, then drive back down to Disneyland for Sun and Mon evenings. You can get an early start at Disneyland on Monday and it will not be too crowded. On Tuesday after the morning traffic you can head to Joshua Tree and in the late afternoon start for Arizona.

Perhaps someone will have a good suggestion for you on what to do Thanksgiving afternoon and evening in San Diego. A relaxing dinner and a walk by the ocean/La Jolla might be nice, but you will need to make a reservation soon for 16 persons, that's a huge group to be traveling with, and most of them will be very tired on the first 2 days.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks clarkgrisold for your good suggestion. I think it would difficult for us to re-jig the itinenary due to transportation issues and 2 different groups arriving at LAX on different days.

But we hope the days at the canyons,parks will more than compensate for the traffic and crowd.
Don