Arkansas, From Hope To The White House

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter your political persuasion or party affiliation, anyone should be able to appreciate a visit to The William J. Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock, Arkansas. The story and journey of a little boy from a small town in Arkansas, Hope, who's father dies before he is born but nonetheless he becomes The President Of The United States is impressive.

For me, William J. Clinton's rise to become one of the most important men in the world is reflective of one of the great things I love about this country, my second birthplace. It is a land of opportunity for anyone to succeed if one has the courage and fortitude to take advantage of what is offered.

Raised by his mother and nurtured by his grandparents, Bill Clinton overcame many obstacles and challenges to become not only one of the youngest governor's ever to win (and lose an election) but to also serve two terms as President. Some even believe that if it were constitutionally possible, Clinton may have even serve three or four terms.

Did you know that the first Presidential vehicle used by President Franklin D. Roosevelt was one seized from the famous gangster, Al Capone? Or that today Presidential limousines are proudly built in Warren, Michigan.

Also, did you know that after World War II President Truman redesigned The Presidential Seal? Originally, the eagle faced the talon holding the arrows of war, now it faces the olive branch. Truman believed that the President, although prepared for war, should always look towards peace.

While this is President Clinton's library, it is not all about him. Here, I have learned more about the First Lady, life at the White House and the Office of The Presidency itself. There is also currently even an impressive Lego exhibition. I did not know so many things could be made from such small colorful plastic pieces.

Done with my afternoon tour of the library, I walk back into downtown Little Rock just in time for Happy Hour. Sliders with a side order of Pickles & Peppers along with a pint or two or three of a cold micro brew hits the spot at Big Whiskey's.

Although this is no McDonalds, I have a feeling someone from Hope, Arkansas just might like hanging out here. I hope he brings his saxophone.

Video:
http://youtu.be/a_ffo6OhpVU
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM

I do want to visit the Clinton Library. Sounds fascinating!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:21 AM
yk

During one of our cross-country moves, we stopped at Hope, AK to visit Clinton's Childhood home. I remembered it as a very modest home. Another thing Hope is famous for, is it's annual watermelon festival in August. http://www.hopechamberofcommerce.com/festival_info.htm
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Good stuff as always!

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

kansasmom,

I think it would be aworthwhile visit. Besides Little Rock, Arkansas has some beautiful scenery which would be nice on a drive from Kansas.

yk,

Maybe I can get to Hope in August. I'll have to brush up on my seed spitting skills to be ready for the watermelon competition. Your recollection of Clinton's Childhood home only adds to belief that his journey to The White House was an incredible one.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

maitaitom,

Appreciate your stuff too ... Did you finish your "Mission Possible"? I see Tom is at it again and he is making me want to visit Dubai!

Happy Holidays
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 08:34 AM

Nice report. I visited 8 years ago while on sabbatical and really enjoyed the museum.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM

Great report!

I live in Little Rock and really believe the Clinton Library is one of the best things about our city! So much to learn, so much to see, and there are great traveling exhibits as well. One other bonus is that on certain days of the year, it's FREE!! So happy we have it here.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do plan on visiting Arkansas, also plan on seeing Alice Walton's art. http://crystalbridges.org/About
I hope to make it back to Arkansas someday.
Bill is the only President I ever shook hands with.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Lee4,

Big Whiskey for Happy Hour, Iriana's Pizza and watching The Peabody Ducks are also nice offerings in your hometown

I agree FREE is nice but at $7.00 visiting the library is still a bargain.

tomfuller,

That must have been very cool. I would enjoy the opportunity to do that and hangout with any President.

In the politics of everything it is easy to lose sight of their accomplishments to achieve one of the highest and most prestigous position on the planet.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:55 AM
xoe

Be sure if you go to Hope in August that you LOVE hot and humid weather. It will be a steamer!!
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

xoe,

As long as the watermelon is cold, one should have no problem surviving
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Yes, the Clinton Presidential Library visited not long ago is well worth the visit...well done. Did you sit in Clinton's chair in the cabinet room? By the way, a good side trip while in LR is a museum across from Central High, scene of racial desegregation.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Ozarksbill,

They were doing some rearranging in the room when I visited

However, what a cool library. Will have to check out your recommendation next time I visit LR.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 04:56 AM

Cool
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM

DMB--you have mentioned some great places in my town!! Iriana's is my favorite pizza place and we've taken our son to see those ducks many times. Usually, those 2 activities/places are combined for our family. You're also right about the $7--a great price indeed. Gotta love Little Rock!

Clinton was in town a few weeks ago to sign his new book at Barnes and Noble. I did not make it to see him but had some friends who waited around 2 to 3 hours -- and felt it was well worth the wait. He was his usual charming, friendly self to those who met him. Although he no longer lives her, he has certainly done a lot for this area by choosing to put the Library here.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Lee4,

I also think a 2-3 hour wait to meet Clinton would be worthwhile. Although we would disagree on some political issues, I admire his drive, his accomplishments and of course his charm.

Maybe I'll see you and the family at Iriana's the next time I am in LR .. Love That Pizza

Happy 2012!