Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 Weeks in Hawaii: 2 islands or 3? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-weeks-in-hawaii-2-islands-or-3-a-814218/)

jkbnh Nov 13th, 2009 07:00 AM

2 Weeks in Hawaii: 2 islands or 3?

We are flying out on Delta and are using miles to pay for the flight. As a consequence (of having limited miles), from Boston, we only appear to have Honolulu as a destination option. We would like to spend our two weeks on the Big Island and Maui. Oahu seems like it will be a little two crowded for our tastes, but that's where we are starting.

So we are a little torn between stretching Oahu out for 3 or 4 days (visiting the Arizona and a certain beach) and splitting the rest of the time between the other two islands, or immediately flying from Oahu to Maui or the Big Island. The biggest drawback seems to be packing and unpacking and spending time in airports/security.

Should we just do Oahu for a week and then the Big Island, or is the hopping around not as bad as it seems?

Thanks in advance,
NH Animator

PeaceOut Nov 13th, 2009 07:04 AM

Have you ever been to Hawaii? If not, I'd suggest you stay on two islands, and explore them extensively. We have done that several times for two week visits to the Hawaiian islands. It always seems like a waste of good vacation time, to pack and unpack, fly, check in and check out, etc.

Kal Nov 13th, 2009 07:06 AM

Our first few trips over we hopped Oahu, Molokai and Kauai. Wasn't too bad. Plane hopping wasn't that bad since you're in one terminal and don't have to hike to the next gate.

We have since fine tuned it to just Kauai.

sf7307 Nov 13th, 2009 08:12 AM

We've done it both ways. Ordinarily, I would suggest just Maui and the Big Island for this trip (I certainly wouldn't recommend staying on Oahu for a whole week if that's not really where you want to be). But, since you have to arrive and depart from Oahu anyway, I don't personally think it's that big a hassle to spend a few days there either at the beginning or the end of your trip. If it were me, I'd rent a car and spend 2-3 days driving around Oahu -- at least "see" Waikiki (yes, crowded, but go for a walk for a couple of hours), Kailua/Lanikai (gorgeous beaches, and see MomDD's trip report -- the best pancakes in the world), Hanauma Bay, then cut across the island's middle to Haleiwa and the North Shore, then down to Pearl Harbor, then home. Just a taste.

dfr4848 Nov 13th, 2009 08:42 AM

Assuming you haven't been to Hawaii before, I agree with sf7307. We've also done it both ways and islands hopping isn't that bad. While Oahu isn't our preferred island, there are definitely some things worth seeing and sf has given you a pretty good itinerary of some of the highlights along with the variety found on the island.

PeaceOut Nov 13th, 2009 09:06 AM

Island hopping per se is easy, but it depends on how much tolerance you have for the hotel checking in/out, packing/unpacking issue. That's what feels like wasted vacation time to me.

wbpiii Nov 13th, 2009 09:56 AM

My normal vacation is a two island trip. While I not an Oahu fan, there is much to do there. My choice would be one week on the Isle of Hawii and one week Oahu. On oahu you get the meals, shopping, culture, history, some great beaches and a nightlife. On the BI you get pristine snorkeling, hiking, more hiking, great parks, gardens, and a volcano. A few nice beaches and many places to get away from the maddening crowd.

Maui is much like Oahu but better beaches and lesser food but food is far better there than on BI or Kauai. Traffic can be awful on both islands, in fact, make that all island.

I do suggest either BI or Kauai for at least one week.

Bill

elsiemoo Nov 13th, 2009 11:29 AM

I am one who actually enjoys the island-hopping in Hawaii. Beautiful scenery as you take off and land, and we shouldn't be taking so much luggage and "stuff" that it's THAT much of a hassle to re-pack anyway, right? The more I travel, the more casual I get ... I love "shorts and sandals" vacations as my DH calls them. I have visited all four major islands several times, and count me as one who LOVES Oahu, including Waikiki. Last time we spent half our time in Waikiki, half at Kailua Beach. It was the first time we spent the whole trip on Oahu, and we still barely scratched the surface there!

Only Waikiki is crowded (but great fun!) on Oahu ... and then you have all the rest ... a gorgeous island with so much to do! I would recommend one week Oahu, one Big Island OR 4-5 days each on those two plus Maui or Kauai. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a super vacation!

elsiemoo Nov 13th, 2009 11:31 AM

I should have said Waikiki/Honolulu is crowded ... for sure ... :)

dusty56438 Nov 13th, 2009 04:55 PM

Oahu has the most & many of the best beaches in the state.

Also more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

You won't have any problem with 3 islands in 2 weeks.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

wbpiii Nov 13th, 2009 05:31 PM

I disagree that Oshu has the "most and many" of the best beaches in the state. Kauai has the most and probably the best beaches in the state. It's the oldest island! This "most" statement is hyperbole at best.

Every island has it share of good beaches. I for one do not go to the Islands for there beaches. There is so much more.

dusty56438 Nov 13th, 2009 07:35 PM

I'll put up Kailua Beach, Lanikai Beach, Waimea Beach, Sunset Beach, Waimanalo Bay Beach, Waikiki Beach & Ala Moana Beach & Sunset Beach against any beaches on any other island.

With over 100 beaches on Oahu, it is the best island for beaches.

elsiemoo Nov 14th, 2009 04:35 AM

Agreed, Dusty!

wbpiii Nov 14th, 2009 09:19 AM

Ke'e beach to Tunnels and beyond what's that three plus miles of beautiful beach. LUmaha'i Beach, Hanalei Beach, the beach in front of ST. Regis, Hideaway beach, Anini Beach, Donkey Beach Po'ipu oh and Poihale Beach. I guess that's what makes a horserace.

Kal Nov 14th, 2009 12:40 PM

:)):)):)):))

jkbnh Nov 14th, 2009 05:27 PM

Well, thanks a ton to everyone for their responses. We have some time to think about it, but are leaning towards doing the two-island thing.

I'm thinking that to hop will require checking out of a hotel, driving to airport, returning car, going through security, flying, renting new car, driving to and checking in at next hotel. This seems like a (nearly) full day event and something that we'd prefer to do only once.

But we are definitely doing a lot of research.

Again, thanks.

suze Nov 15th, 2009 11:01 AM

"Oahu" is not crowded. The Honolulu/Waikiki area is a big city but besides that the rest of the island could hardly be called over-crowded.

I'm here now spending 10 days all on Oahu and having a blast, that's just me. 3 islands in 2 weeks is nothing I'd want to do myself, but doesn't mean it's not OK for someone else. Changing islands IS nearly a full day event, that's true.

LoveItaly Nov 15th, 2009 01:21 PM

I have stayed on Oahu for two weeks and enjoyed every moment. I have stayed on three islands for a bit over two weeks and enjoyed every moment. And I have stayed on the four main islands over three weeks and have enjoyed it. No good answer in my opinion, it just depends on what you are looking for, jk. Do so more research and I would imagine no matter what you decide you will have a wonderful time. I always think of Hawaii as the jewel of the United States.

sassy_cat Nov 15th, 2009 02:35 PM

I like LoveItaly's response... it's all good, it's Hawaii and keep going back for more!

Bear in mind though that BI is big and it's hard to scratch the surface in less than a week.

Barblab Nov 15th, 2009 02:58 PM

If I was spending the time and money to go to Hawaii from the east coast, when you have tons of other closer cheaper beach options in the Carribean, I would do the 3 island option based soley on the fact it may be a long time if ever that you get back there. The flights between islands are short, and yes you lose a few hours doing it, but all three of the islands are different enough to make it worth it. But then like others have said there are no wrong decissions here, 1,2, or 3 - all good. Enjoy!