Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 Weeks in Chicago. Where to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-weeks-in-chicago-where-to-stay-928221/)

okwdvc Mar 18th, 2012 09:45 PM

2 Weeks in Chicago. Where to stay?

We are considering taking our son up to Chicago for a 2 week summer camp. It is not a sleep away type camp so we would pick him up at the end of class each day.

We've been to Chicago more times than I can count but we have always stayed downtown and walked everywhere. I don't think I have ever used public transportation there. No need.

Since downtown would be expensive for 2 weeks (need a full kitchen, too) is there a nearby suburb we could stay in that was safe and would allow us to take public transportation downtown each day?

Thanks!

nancy1818john Mar 19th, 2012 05:30 AM

You may want to stay in the theatre district, if you are worried about costs, lincoln park is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods,and you will have to walk to clark to get an cta.

japw82 Mar 19th, 2012 07:06 AM

In what area is the camp located? Location will help in giving recommendations on areas in which areas to find lodging.

tomfuller Mar 19th, 2012 07:47 AM

The HI Hostel on Congress has kitchen(s). http://www.hihostels.com/
My wife and I stayed there for a couple nights. They also have laundry facilities. The upper floors of the hostel are used as dorms for DePaul and perhaps other nearby colleges.

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 19th, 2012 07:51 AM

O'Hare airport area has many "suite" type hotels and they will shuttle you to/from the train station. It takes just a little under an hour on the train. You can get a pass for the train at much cheaper rates than paying on a daily bases.

Look up www.yourcta.com for more info.

tomfuller Mar 19th, 2012 08:21 AM

The link to the HI Hostel. http://www.hichicago.org/
Rather than spending time and money on transport into the city each day.

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 19th, 2012 08:39 AM

Some can deal with hostels, others can't, myself included with the latter.

Plus the fact that you buy the CTA pass gives you the option of visiting many different neighborhoods. Chicago downtown area is the best in this country, MHO, but there are so many other neighborhoods you can visit if you have the pass. Wicker Park area for eclectic restaurants, galleries, stores. Italian, German, Polish, Mexican neighborhoods which provide a unique look at the best city in US.

Downtown is great but visitors should also consider the different neighborhoods.

MP07950 Mar 19th, 2012 08:40 AM

Last year, I was looking for a place to stay in Chicago for a girls weekend (so needed multiple bedrooms and bathrooms) and found loads of reasonably priced options of great apartments on VRBO. You might want to check these out before considering staying further out of the city.

cmcfong Mar 19th, 2012 08:49 AM

I got a very good deal on a vrbo at 30 Huron St which made the perfect location. Very big king bedroom, smaller bedroom suitable for a child and great kitchen, pool, terrace amenities.

okwdvc Mar 19th, 2012 10:39 AM

Thanks! The camp is on N. Wells St.

I would definitely rent from VRBO or the like. It has been years since I have spent more than one night in a hotel. We need a kitchen when we travel and most hotels with kitchens aren't worth the price when I can get a house or condo for less money and more space.

I just wondered if it might be cheaper to stay outside the downtown area and commute in? 2 weeks in the downtown area seems like it will be quite pricey. Still not sure if we are going to do this or not. Husband is leaning toward it. Me? Not so much.

jill_h Mar 19th, 2012 11:17 AM

A friend from work just stayed at this place; another friend's brother has used it on multiple occasions. I have no personal knowledge.

looks to be a little less than 2 miles from the camp.

www.dewittplace.com

nlg Mar 19th, 2012 11:58 AM

When we go to Chicago we stay at the Homewood Suites on Grand Ave. They have kitchens and a living area. Don't know if it would be in your budget, but it is nice-breakfast included and a lite dinner with drinks Monday-Thursday.

laurie_ann Mar 23rd, 2012 09:55 AM

Would you drive or fly to Chicago?

If you drive to Chicago a suburban place might make sense. There are good commuter trains (not the same as Chicago city bus and train) to nearly all the suburbs. But in many suburbs you wouldn't likely be able to walk from where you stay to the train station and you would need a car for grocery shopping, etc. around out there. So if you flew and had to rent a car for two weeks that could defeat some of the savings of staying in the suburbs.

If you stay in the city (or in a nearby suburb like Oak Park or Evanston that is served by city bus and train) you likely wouldn't need a car at all while you are here.

Let me look on VRBO and suggest some places that are not far from the camp.

laurie_ann Mar 23rd, 2012 11:07 AM

I looked at VRBO. There are lots of choices. Depends on your expected features. You can search to narrow in Chicago by neighborhood. If you find a few that appeal to you post them here and we can help you narrow down to the best choice.

Chicago is a great city especially in the summer and you will enjoy being in almost any neighborhood.

Marija Mar 23rd, 2012 12:19 PM

Here's what Neopatrick wrote:

"We booked an apartment through StanProperties. It was at One West Superior (corner of State). Our alcove studio was on the top floor -- the 52nd. What a view. Surprisingly when we arrived, the concierge gave us keys to a different apartment (same floor). Some checking and we found out they are doing some work in the building and the original apartment we were to have (which had a nicer view more to the lake than due west and a little nicer furnished) was not available. The replacement one was just fine."

I'd definitely look for something in the downtown area.