Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 week RV trip out west scheduling help needed. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-week-rv-trip-out-west-scheduling-help-needed-714691/)

deckema Jun 20th, 2007 10:41 AM

2 week RV trip out west scheduling help needed.

I'm hoping to get some guidance for my trip on what to do and how long to stay at places. Also, if anyone has suggestions on where to stay with an RV would be appreciative. What I'm trying to fit in is (from Michigan) is the Badlands (a stop and go), Yellowstone-Grand Tetons-Jackson Hole for at least 3 or 4 days to do ?? horseback riding? hiking? Snake river rafting? Then head down to Bryce Canyon, then Zion, Capital Reef, and finally Arches before heading back home through Colorado. I don't know if I should spend any time here with so much before I would get to Colorado before heading back to Michingan. Any help would be appreciated. I have myself, wife, and 3 kids (13,12,and 11). Thanks, Mark

Dayle Jun 20th, 2007 10:49 AM

Mark,

How much time do you have and when are you going? Makes a big difference. With the places you want to visit, I hope you have a minimum of 4 weeks. 3-4 days for Yellowstone and Tetons is not enough!

Utahtea travels by motorhome and is the mileage expert. She'll have lots of good input for you.

GrannyJoan Jun 20th, 2007 11:56 AM

I would say that Badlands is a stop and go, although I'm sure you could camp there just not much shade. Worth seeing.

Mount Rushmore is worth seeing and just a little down the road. Also Custer State Park a good place and has camping sites.

http://www.sdgfp.info/parks/Regions/Custer/custersp.htm

The drive through Needles is great, but might not be feasible in RV.

Yellowstone/Grand Tetons - Jackson Hole great places as well. Would make sure to check ahead as reservations are usually advised.

All the Utah parks Bryce, Zion, Arches and Capital Reef very nice. We just did these again this past year without our kids. Did them years ago with kids (who are now grown).

Check the national parks site and get maps, info on campgrounds etc.

http://www.nps.gov/

Also consider getting an annual park pass as it will pay for itself and cost less than paying for each park separately. The pass lasts a year and I believe is only $50 and gets you in all the National Parks.

Hope this helps. You will have a great time at the places you have chosen. The kids should enjoy this trip and remember it forever.

- Granny Joan

ltt Jun 20th, 2007 01:30 PM

http://www.rv.net/forum/
this forum is very active and could give good campground suggestions.

deckema Jun 21st, 2007 11:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Were planning on 2 weeks. 2 days to get to Yellowstone, 2 days there, 2 days in Grand Teton Nat. Park (visiting Jackson Hole, Snake River), 1 day to get to Bryce, 2 days at Bryce, travel to Zion and spend 2 days there, start drive back home. That leaves 3 days to get back home. Is this too much? If so, where do I cut back? I here Bryce is too nice to pass up. Also, on the way back home, should I go on Hwy 24 and go through Capitol Reef to get back to 70 E or should I back track to get back to Hwy 15 (this looks like the easier way but longer in distance, but maybe not time).
GrannyJoan, where is Needles that you mention might be hard to drive an RV through?

Any more suggestions on what to see, where to stay, length of stay, etc is much appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

Dayle Jun 21st, 2007 01:28 PM

Hi again Deckema,

Again, when are you going? If summer, you do know that Zion will be over 100 degrees? Summer is the time for Yellowstone and the Tetons. Spring and fall are better for the southern UT parks.

Honestly, I would recommend spending more time in the Wyoming/Montana area and save southern UT for a better time.

2 days is not nearly enough for Yellowstone. If you must - take a day from Bryce or Zion and add it to Yellowstone.

TAW Jun 21st, 2007 01:39 PM

Because of the time of year and your limited time, I would skip southern Utah this trip (but make sure you get there in the future sometime!).
You can do Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Black Hills in SD then see Devil's Tower on way to Wyoming. Stop in Cody (see the museum & a rodeo), then Yellowstone & Grand Tetons. There is plenty to do in all those places to fill 2 weeks. Have a great trip!

LHS Jun 21st, 2007 02:06 PM

I wonder if you are giving yourself enough drive allowance from MI to Yellowstone. The Badlands to Yellowstone is a good day's drive with some Bighorn 2 lane mountain driving, if you leave I 90 for hwy 14 at Buffalo, or hwy 16 at Sheridan. I-90 to Bozeman and south to the North Yellowstone entrance is even longer.

MI thru WI, MN & most of SD is a long drive, even all on I 90. As for the rest of the itinerary, a lot of the charm of Yellowstone is walking the geyser basins, stopping & watching wildlife, hiking down to the waterfall(s) of the Canyon. And the traffic can be very slow moving through the park, given the buffalo often walk on the roads. 2 days is barely enough time to drive both loops. I suspect your kids will want out of the RV once in awhile!

If reservations weren't such a problem, I'd suggest being flexible with how much time you spend in Yellowstone & the Tetons.

The Needles GrannyJoan mentions are rock formations in Custer State Park in the Black Hills.

mhcpita Jun 21st, 2007 02:18 PM

Though very beautiful and unique, the Badlands are a 'drive through'. Make no mistake, they are a must! Travelling from eastern to western SD will take 5+ hours...keep that in mind. There are many great campgrounds for RV's in the Black Hills - this is a tourist mecca...though unknown. You really should do Mt. Rushmore, which is southern. Thus, Custer State Park makes sense. There are different routes in this state park in which a motor home can travel. If you decide to forgo it and travel to Devil's Tower in Wyoming, you're better off going north of Rapid City. Try Sturgis. Speaking of which...it depends when you are going. The first full week in August is the infamous Motorcycle Rally. A week prior and after this will make it impossible to find accomodations within 150 miles of the area. It is a spectacular place. It is hard to guide you. You easily could spend a week in the Black Hills, 3 days in Yellowstone, and another week in Colorado...and that doesn't include drive time! Just know you are in for a treat!

LHS Jun 21st, 2007 02:35 PM

Official Sturgis Rally dates this year are August 6th - 12th, which means the congestion (hotels, campgrounds, eating places) of the northern hills, especially along I 90 will be heavy by the 3rd. However, many campgrounds open just for the Rally.

deckema Jun 22nd, 2007 07:45 AM

Thanks again for the feedback. Actually we were thinking of leaving July 29th and be back home on Aug 12th. We should miss the Stugis Rally. Most of your opinions say to skip Byrce Canyon/Zion and spend the two week trip going through the Badlands, seeing Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, Snake River. If I should stay away from Bryce/Zion due to lack of time/ high temperature, would anyone recommend trying to make it up to Glacier National Park instead for a few days before going back home? This Forum is Great! Thanks again for any feedback. Mark

TAW Jun 22nd, 2007 08:19 AM

I think you're going to find that the places you have chosen so far are so great that you won't want to leave. So, yes, you could try to fit in Glacier but then again you're biting off a lot for a short trip. Might be better to really enjoy South Dakota, Yellowstone, Tetons, etc and do the other places on a return trip. Whatever you decide - have a great time!