COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

2 or 3 nights in the Keys

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

2 or 3 nights in the Keys

Looking to spend a few low key nights in the keys in mid July. Hoping that it will be on the back end of a few nights at Dry Tortugas. Thinking Key West (never been)or else where in the keys. Don't want to spend more than $150 a night and I'm looking for sun, a lounge chair, a palm tree and not much else. Anywhere come to mind? Thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:34 PM

July is low season for Key West, so it'll be a good time for rates. I assume you're camping on Dry Tortugas? If so, it shouldn't be too much trouble to find something a little more comfy in Key West.

Unfortunately, ALL the places on the water are expensive, so that leaves them out. You'll want to stay in Old Town, so that everything will be within walking distance (if you want to venture out).

The Best Western Hibiscus is one of the more moderately priced places to stay and it gets good reviews. Probably no palm trees, and the location is closer to the Atlantic than the Gulf (where most of the "action" is), but Key West is tiny and you'll be able to walk the width of the island in 20 minutes or so.

Another less-expensive option is the Southernmost Hotel. I know this is blasphemous to suggest, but if you'll ask this question on tripadvisor.com you'll probably get lots of advice from people who've stayed in different inns, hotels, etc. Our experience with accommodations has been limited to three places on the Gulf that're ridiculously expensive. There are LOTS of other options that are just as nice and cheaper, too.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM

July is a great time to use Priceline for Key West. I've stayed for as little as $50 mid-week in some great properties. Hotwire also has some good deals. Check out Biddingfortravel.com for more specific info.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:36 AM

Let me just add that you do NOT want to be in New Town - that includes everything on Roosevelt. There are a number of hotels there, but they're smack dab in the middle of strip malls and fast food joints, and within walking range of nothing. Stick to Old Town!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!! I appreciate the quick suggestions. I'm really looking for a non-chainy type place to hang my hate, so maybe an inn might be the way to go.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Oops, meant hat... hang my hat