Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 nights on Nantucket (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-nights-on-nantucket-616679/)

monandeclan May 18th, 2006 04:01 PM

2 nights on Nantucket

Any suggestions for a two night stay in a king size bed on Nantucket in September? I've done a little looking and am running into a 3 night minimum! We'll probably try to take our motorcycle over to tour the island, but would prefer to stay within walking distance to town.

thank in advance!

nina May 18th, 2006 04:44 PM

Cliff Lodge has king beds and is in town. You should have no problem booking only 2 nights in September, I'm surprised your finding 3 night minimums then. Maybe you have to wait awhile, when the inns find themselves not fully booked, they'll take 2 nights or even just 1.

monandeclan May 21st, 2006 03:59 AM

thanks for the tip! I checked out their website and emailed them. Looks like a lovely place and no 3 night min.

BTW, when did places get so expensive? Almost $300 a night. A two night anniversary get away is gonna wind up costing us almost $1000! Sheesh! Well, we'll take the motorcycle, weather permitting, so that will cut down on the gas expense. That reminds me; I need to check into getting reservations on the ferry to bring the bike over. Maybe I'll talk DH into just one nice dinner out and we can get burgers or something the other night. Any good suggestions for a nice restaurant (quiet, intimate, excellent service, great food, good wine. Yeah, we want it all! LOL) and a low-key, casual, but good restaurant for the other night?

Ackislander May 21st, 2006 05:22 AM

How about candle light and a harp player, too? Company of the Cauldron. It is a fixed price menu with no choice and two seatings. The menus for the week are posted in front so you can decide what night you want to go and what sitting you want AND make a reservation. Plan to spend $50 per person on food, plus wine, 5% meals tax, and tip.

Another good choice is American Seasons almost in the back yard of Cliff Lodge. Delicious food, great wine, nice dark atmosphere, priced differently,, but you can get out for the same amount of money.

nina May 21st, 2006 08:37 AM

Yeah, Nantucket unfortunately is VERY expensive. My good friend was married on ACK and celebrates her anniversary there every year (her parents have a house there). Her favorite celebratory restaurants are Company of the Cauldron that Ackislander mentioned, and Toppers at the Wauwinet, which will pick dinner guests up in town on their boat and ferry you to the inn. They serve cocktails on the way over while you get a view of the Harbor, it's very special. Be warned though, last year friends went and spent $500 for dinner!

We went to the Summer House in Sconset last year for dinner and I loved it. You have to go there for drinks at least, it's a gorgeous spot and they have the nicest raw bar/cafe poolside on the beach. I can't even describe how beautiful it is there.

It's also an Inn, the rooms are tiny cottages scattered on the front lawn overlooking the ocean. IMO they're the most romantic accomodations on the island, but they might be too rustic for some. I love them, but they're not for everyone.

nina May 21st, 2006 08:43 AM

OMG! I just checked the rates for the Summer House cottages and they're $575-$675 for this summer! Yowser!

monandeclan May 23rd, 2006 04:22 AM

$575 A NIGHT?!! OMG! That's crazy. yeah, I'm perfectly willing to pay a little more for nicer accomodations and ambience, but EEEK! We'll check out the summer house for cocktails and appetizers before dinner maybe.

I'll file away those two restaurant recommendations. Thanks so much to both of you. They both sound great.

escargot May 23rd, 2006 04:33 AM

check with steamshipauthority.com, but my husband never makes a reservation when he brings his motorcycle to MV every summer, it is just a walk on with a one person ticket charge.

For less expensive lunches/snacks etc while biking, you might want to go to either Provisions at end of Main St or even the market which is also there and get some sandwiches, snacks, fruit, water, etc

memphismoe May 30th, 2006 04:34 PM

I would highly recommend The Roberts House. Great location in town & reasonable rates in Sept after Labor Day.Get room 102 if you can. Also would recommend Even Keel for breakfast or lunch & Oran Mor for fabulous dinner.